LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Alien Bob's VLC Build + Slamd64 Question (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/alien-bobs-vlc-build-slamd64-question-706561/)

Daedra 02-22-2009 02:11 AM

Alien Bob's VLC Build + Slamd64 Question
 
After reading the post on 64 bit slackware I decided to give Slamd64 a try since I hadn't used it since 11.0, I am actually quite impressed I have gotten 99% of all my programs and games running fine in the 64 bit environment. The only program giving me grief is VLC, I used Alien Bob's build and it built fine but I get the following error when I try to run it.

[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000001] main libvlc error: no memcpy module matched "any"
[00000016] main interface error: no interface module matched "hotkeys,none"
[00000016] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main libvlc error: interface "hotkeys,none" initialization failed
[00000017] main interface error: no interface module matched "inhibit,none"
[00000017] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main libvlc error: interface "inhibit,none" initialization failed
[00000018] main interface error: no interface module matched "screensaver,none"
[00000018] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main libvlc error: interface "screensaver,none" initialization failed
[00000019] main interface error: no interface module matched "signals"
[00000019] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main libvlc error: interface "signals" initialization failed
[00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[00000020] main interface error: no interface module matched "any"
[00000020] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[00000001] main libvlc error: interface "(null)" initialization failed
*** LibVLC Exception not handled: Interface initialization failed
Set a breakpoint in 'libvlc_exception_not_handled' to debug.


I was reading on the 64 bit slackware post that Arny of Bluewhite64 and Alien Bob both managed to get it working on 64 bit. Can anyone give me any pointers or if your out there Arny or Erik maybe you can point me in the right direction.


Thanks.

Slacker Steve 02-22-2009 05:45 AM

I compiled VLC in Slamd64 yesterday (Using alien's slackbuild) and got the same error

Have you tried using Alien Bob's "vlc_old" script?

Alien Bob 02-22-2009 06:09 AM

When VLC 0.9.9 is released (coming week) I will also release a package for use on 64bit Slamd64.

Eric

arny 02-22-2009 06:23 AM

Daedra: You can download a vlc package from here: http://data.linux64packages.net:8080...op/vlc/0.9.8a/

Should work on Slamd64 too ;).

Alien Bob 02-22-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arny (Post 3453112)
Daedra: You can download a vlc package from here: http://data.linux64packages.net:8080...op/vlc/0.9.8a/

Should work on Slamd64 too ;).

FYI this package was built using my (slightly modified) SlackBuild which you can find inside the directory /usr/doc/vlc-0.9.8a/

Eric

piratesmack 02-22-2009 07:48 AM

From http://data.linux64packages.net:8080...-PACKAGES.TXT:
Quote:

5. After the build is done, test your packages and check that there is no /lib64 and /usr/lib64 directory inside the package.
But that VLC package uses lib64 :eek:


I also notice a lot of --build=$ARCH-slackware-linux in the script, but you say:
Quote:

Also, if in the configure options there is "$ARCH-slackware-linux" option then you have to change it to "$ARCH-pc-linux".

Alien Bob 02-22-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratesmack (Post 3453159)
From http://data.linux64packages.net:8080...-PACKAGES.TXT:
Quote:

5. After the build is done, test your packages and check that there is no /lib64 and /usr/lib64 directory inside the package.
But that VLC package uses lib64 :eek:

I also notice a lot of --build=$ARCH-slackware-linux in the script, but you say:
Quote:

Also, if in the configure options there is "$ARCH-slackware-linux" option then you have to change it to "$ARCH-pc-linux".

This is because the SlackBuild which was used to create the package was not modified specifically with Bluewhite64 in mind. As a result, it contains lib64 directories which makes it fine for Slamd64, and since Bluewhite64 uses symlinks that point lib64 to lib, the package will work there as well. But it is not a clean package!

Note that packages at http://data.linux64packages.net:8080 are uploaded by Bluewhite64 community members. No apparent quality check is done, which makes it questionable if you should use them at all (like many of the packages found at http://linuxpackages.net/).
Also, you will find only packages there, not the source code, patches and scripts used to create them. Several of the packages were created from scripts available at http://slackbuilds.org or grabbed from my repository and that is when you will find at least the SlackBuild script inside the /usr/doc/ directory of the package.

Eric

piratesmack 02-22-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 3453201)
No apparent quality check is done, which makes it questionable if you should use them at all (like many of the packages found at http://linuxpackages.net/).
Also, you will find only packages there, not the source code, patches and scripts used to create them.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to build it myself then

H_TeXMeX_H 02-22-2009 09:01 AM

Well, I just successfully compiled it on slamd64 12.1 with this:
Code:

./configure --with-pic --enable-dvdread --enable-flac --enable-faad --enable-theora --disable-qt4 --disable-skins2
Now, even tho I have qt4 installed, it won't find it, so I just disabled it.

Alien Bob 02-22-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 3453240)
Well, I just successfully compiled it on slamd64 12.1 with this:
Code:

./configure --with-pic --enable-dvdread --enable-flac --enable-faad --enable-theora --disable-qt4 --disable-skins2
Now, even tho I have qt4 installed, it won't find it, so I just disabled it.

Without Qt4 you will not get a GUI... only the commandline version.
Note that my vlc.SlackBuild will add a version of Qt4 as a static library (unless you specifically prohibit that) to the vlc package which makes it independent of any Qt4 you may have installed on your system.

Eric

Daedra 02-22-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 3453201)
This is because the SlackBuild which was used to create the package was not modified specifically with Bluewhite64 in mind. As a result, it contains lib64 directories which makes it fine for Slamd64, and since Bluewhite64 uses symlinks that point lib64 to lib, the package will work there as well. But it is not a clean package!

Note that packages at http://data.linux64packages.net:8080 are uploaded by Bluewhite64 community members. No apparent quality check is done, which makes it questionable if you should use them at all (like many of the packages found at http://linuxpackages.net/).
Also, you will find only packages there, not the source code, patches and scripts used to create them. Several of the packages were created from scripts available at http://slackbuilds.org or grabbed from my repository and that is when you will find at least the SlackBuild script inside the /usr/doc/ directory of the package.

Eric

Yeah I just noticed that this is your package modified by someone else. Not surprising since your VLC package is the best there is. I will probably try out the modified one, but I look forward to your new one when VLC 0.9.9 comes out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.