LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
tb75252
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 (64-bit)
Posts: 103

Rep: Reputation: 2
Adobe Flash Player Plugin


I have Slackware 14, 32-bit, with KDE environment.
I am not much of an expert with Linux...

I just installed flash-player-plugin (11.2.202.238) from the SlackBuilds repository.

Everything seems to have gone ok, but when I launch Firefox and type aboutlugin, Flash Player is not mentioned and I cannot get sites that use this plug-in to work properly.

I don't thing that there are dependencies that I need to install, so what exactly do I need to do to get Flash Player to work?
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
TommyC7
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2012
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 438

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Check to make sure /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins has a file called "libflashplayer.so"

Don't forget to check to make sure that you installed flash for the correct architecture. You say you're using 32-bit, but did you download the 32-bit tarball, or the 64-bit one for the script to use?
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
xslc
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2012
Location: korea
Distribution: slackware64
Posts: 32

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
did you try to install it manual ? i means
1. download flash here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_redirect
2. tar xzvf install_flash_player_11_linux_*.tar
2. mkdir /home/user/.mozilla/plugins
3. then cp file libflashplayer.so to /home/usr/.mozilla/plugins

done
 
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
saopedrodaserra
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2010
Location: rio de janeiro
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: 0
plugin

Hi,
It's better install manual from www.adobe.com. Download flash 32 bits as explained above && enjoy!
 
Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
folkenfanel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: formerly Fanelia and Zaibach
Distribution: Slackware-current with KDE 4.8.5
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 36
Wink Happiness is best found at home

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...player-plugin/
 
Old 10-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,251

Rep: Reputation: 180Reputation: 180
Even after it is properly installed, that doesn't mean it will work as it should.

First it was the blue skin, reversed color problem and now the plug-in crashes almost every time I try and use it. Sometimes the video won't play or sometimes it will start, but crash shortly afterwards. It has gotten to the point that if the video is one I really want to watch, I boot to Xp first so I know I can watch it without interruption.
 
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,291

Rep: Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Even after it is properly installed, that doesn't mean it will work as it should.

First it was the blue skin, reversed color problem and now the plug-in crashes almost every time I try and use it. Sometimes the video won't play or sometimes it will start, but crash shortly afterwards. It has gotten to the point that if the video is one I really want to watch, I boot to Xp first so I know I can watch it without interruption.
I did have the blue skin problem, but that only affects nVidia chips (and it is fixed [well, worked around] with new libvdpau and/or new nVidia drivers). I haven't had Flash crash anything for at least a year or two. Perhaps you should take a look at your browser settings/profile and/or your system itself...

For the record, I just use Alien Bob's flashplayer-plugin package, which includes the flash-player-properties configuration utility (not that it's very useful). It looks like Adobe just released a new version a couple of days ago and Alien Bob's package isn't updated yet, but he's usually pretty good at packaging in a timely manner.
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,251

Rep: Reputation: 180Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
I did have the blue skin problem, but that only affects nVidia chips (and it is fixed [well, worked around] with new libvdpau and/or new nVidia drivers). I haven't had Flash crash anything for at least a year or two. Perhaps you should take a look at your browser settings/profile and/or your system itself...
Well, no it is not fixed in the new nVidia drivers, and, yes, I've check my browser sitting/profile, but the plug-in crashes with Opera, Firefox and Konqueror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
For the record, I just use Alien Bob's flashplayer-plugin package, which includes the flash-player-properties configuration utility (not that it's very useful). It looks like Adobe just released a new version a couple of days ago and Alien Bob's package isn't updated yet, but he's usually pretty good at packaging in a timely manner.
I also use Alien Bob's package and have also tried Salix's package, but the results are the same.

Last edited by cwizardone; 10-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,291

Rep: Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708Reputation: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Well, no it is not fixed in the new nVidia drivers
304.51 includes the workaround, assuming you use nVidia's bundled libvdpau (libvdpau.so.304.51). If you use standalone libvdpau then you need to get the latest (0.5), which I haven't tested. If you use SlackBuilds for the nVidia drivers then you will definitely NOT be using the bundled nVidia libvdpau. I can pretty much confirm that the workaround is present and works in 304.51 -- I just upgraded to it yesterday, and I can enable hardware acceleration again and everything looks as it should (whereas, testing just before the upgrade using 304.37, it did not). 64-bit, FYI.
 
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 817

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
304.51 includes the workaround, assuming you use nVidia's bundled libvdpau (libvdpau.so.304.51). If you use standalone libvdpau then you need to get the latest (0.5), which I haven't tested. If you use SlackBuilds for the nVidia drivers then you will definitely NOT be using the bundled nVidia libvdpau. I can pretty much confirm that the workaround is present and works in 304.51 -- I just upgraded to it yesterday, and I can enable hardware acceleration again and everything looks as it should (whereas, testing just before the upgrade using 304.37, it did not). 64-bit, FYI.
Interesting...I didn't know that nvidia bundled their own version of libvdpau. Does that get installed when using their install script by default? I will have to give it a try as I always have the "inverted colors" flash video problems. I usually have to disable the hardware acceleration to make it work correctly.
 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,251

Rep: Reputation: 180Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
304.51 includes the workaround, assuming you use nVidia's bundled libvdpau (libvdpau.so.304.51). If you use standalone libvdpau then you need to get the latest (0.5), which I haven't tested. If you use SlackBuilds for the nVidia drivers then you will definitely NOT be using the bundled nVidia libvdpau. I can pretty much confirm that the workaround is present and works in 304.51 -- I just upgraded to it yesterday, and I can enable hardware acceleration again and everything looks as it should (whereas, testing just before the upgrade using 304.37, it did not). 64-bit, FYI.
I'm using the latest nvidia bundle and it does not solve the problem.
 
Old 10-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,251

Rep: Reputation: 180Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
For the record, I just use Alien Bob's flashplayer-plugin package, which includes the flash-player-properties configuration utility (not that it's very useful). It looks like Adobe just released a new version a couple of days ago and Alien Bob's package isn't updated yet, but he's usually pretty good at packaging in a timely manner.
Alien Bob's latest update of the flashplayer-plugin, released yesterday, has taken care of the crashing problem.
 
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 1,566

Rep: Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
I'm using the latest nvidia bundle and it does not solve the problem.
Turn off flash hardware acceleration and the blue goes away.

(EDIT: I just turned hardware acceleration back on and there is no blue tint when watching, say, youtube flash videos. Slackware64 14.0. No multilib. Flash version 11.2.202.243)

Last edited by Richard Cranium; 10-12-2012 at 12:49 AM.
 
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,251

Rep: Reputation: 180Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Turn off flash hardware acceleration and the blue goes away.

(EDIT: I just turned hardware acceleration back on and there is no blue tint when watching, say, youtube flash videos. Slackware64 14.0. No multilib. Flash version 11.2.202.243)

This was discussed in another thread and here is what finally got rid of the blue (problem for me) without having to turn off hardware acceleration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
These two, mentioned in that forum thread, seem to work:
/etc/profile.d/fix_flash.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY=1
/etc/adobe/mms.cfg
Code:
EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
The thread is here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...692/page3.html

Last edited by cwizardone; 10-12-2012 at 10:55 AM.
 
Old 10-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
jtsn
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2011
Location: Europe
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 872

Rep: Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402Reputation: 402
VDPAU_NVIDIA_NO_OVERLAY disables hardware acceleration simply on another layer.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Adobe Finally Releases A New Adobe Flash Player 64bit - Yes, For Linux Too! LXer Syndicated Linux News 3 09-16-2010 09:20 AM
How do I install adobe flash player 10 plugin in fedora 10? sravi7 Linux - Newbie 1 04-05-2009 08:41 AM
LXer: Adobe releases Adobe Flash Player 10 beta for Linux LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-16-2008 08:30 AM
adobe flash player plugin missing in firefox Phoebe Linux - Software 10 03-10-2008 07:23 PM
LXer: Vulnerabilities found in Adobe Flash Player plugin LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-19-2006 11:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration