LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Adding --geometry parameter to launcher not working Xfce 4.6.2 on Slackware 13.37 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/adding-geometry-parameter-to-launcher-not-working-xfce-4-6-2-on-slackware-13-37-a-886411/)

Gerardo Zamudio 06-14-2011 11:53 PM

Adding --geometry parameter to launcher not working Xfce 4.6.2 on Slackware 13.37
 
Hi everyone

I'm finally getting around to configuring my Xfce desktop environment and I'm having a lot of trouble having applications remember their last position. I did some Googling and found this is either not a supported feature or it depends on the application if they want to support it or not.

I'm trying to make my default terminal start in the center of the screen. I found that you can add the command line parameter
Code:

--geometry=70x20+30+200
for example and it should open at a 70x20 size in the 20+30 position. I added that to my panel launcher's command and ended up with
Code:

exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator --geometry=70x20+30+200
however the terminal isn't opening at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I looked at this thread but it's basically the same thing I'm already doing.

EDIT:
After further reading, I discovered the default launchers use your preferred applications so I just used replaced the launch command with the following and it worked perfectly:
Code:

terminal --geometry=70x20+30+200

Woodsman 06-15-2011 12:17 PM

You can add the same information to $HOME/.config/Terminal/terminalrc:

MiscDefaultGeometry=70x20+30+200

Gerardo Zamudio 06-16-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsman (Post 4386662)
You can add the same information to $HOME/.config/Terminal/terminalrc:

MiscDefaultGeometry=70x20+30+200

Does that work for any application? I read that it was only for X. I want Firefox to start in the center of the screen and Mousepad on the lower left hand side.

Woodsman 06-17-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Does that work for any application?
My post was only for the Xfce Terminal. :)

Mousepad has its own configuration file in $HOME/.config.

If you want apps to open centered in Xfce, open the Xfce Settings Manager, select Window Manager Tweaks, then select the Placement tab.

Gerardo Zamudio 06-17-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsman (Post 4388205)
My post was only for the Xfce Terminal. :)

Mousepad has its own configuration file in $HOME/.config.

If you want apps to open centered in Xfce, open the Xfce Settings Manager, select Window Manager Tweaks, then select the Placement tab.

I I have the option to center windows when opening already set in the Xfce Settings Manager but it's not working which is why I was looking for alternatives. I'll try out the Mousepad tip when I'm off work.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Woodsman 06-17-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

I I have the option to center windows when opening already set in the Xfce Settings Manager but it's not working which is why I was looking for alternatives
I'm not a daily Xfce user, but in that same section I think the slider has to be moved all the way to the right (Large).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.