LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #61
san
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: vienna, .at
Distribution: Slackware64 13.37
Posts: 50

Rep: Reputation: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy_mcfae View Post
For some reason, after upgrading to my custom compiled kernel (2.6.22.1, compiled when this machine was running Slack-11), hal has apparently stopped working. I went over the kernel setup, and I saw nothing on the surface that would prevent hal from working, but it's still not working. If someone knows which options need to be compiled into a kernel to make hal come back to life, I'd be interested in hearing what options to set to bring hal back to life.
i had a similar problem since i forgot to activate "inotify" (in the filesystems menu), after recompiling everything was up and running the way it should be, maybe this will help.

regards,
d.s.
 
Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #62
tamtam
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Distribution: Slackware.
Posts: 314

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
I simply love using Slackware 12 and Dropline Gnome. Today I had to reinstall Win2k (for games & such) and boy let me tell you was it ever great to come home and find Slackware running after scheduling an automatic windows update...

True story!

What it was is that I have Slackware setup as the #1 option on Lilo and the update must have issued a restart... Little do they realize they finally got the update right!

- Perry
Good One! In a perfect world all PC's would behave the same.
 
Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #63
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,135
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405Reputation: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
I simply love using Slackware 12 and Dropline Gnome. Today I had to reinstall Win2k (for games & such) and boy let me tell you was it ever great to come home and find Slackware running after scheduling an automatic windows update...

True story!

What it was is that I have Slackware setup as the #1 option on Lilo and the update must have issued a restart... Little do they realize they finally got the update right!

- Perry

Hi,

You can also use the 'default=' option;
Quote:
excerpt from 'man lilo.conf'

default=<name>
Uses the specified image as the default boot image. If `default'
is omitted, the image appearing first in the configuration file
is used. See also, vmdefault below.

or

vmdefault=<name>
The named boot image is used as the default boot if booting in
"virtual" mode with a virtual monitor, such as VMware(tm). Thus
a real mode boot and a virtual mode boot can be made to have
different default boot images.
Yes, one should be prepared for anything!
 
Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 AM   #64
pappy_mcfae
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Gentoo x86 & x86_64
Posts: 190

Rep: Reputation: 30
Post That was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san View Post
i had a similar problem since i forgot to activate "inotify" (in the filesystems menu), after recompiling everything was up and running the way it should be, maybe this will help.

regards,
d.s.
That was the trouble. I recompiled with that option set, and it worked. I also took the opportunity to clean out all the old stuff; modules, etc.

Thanks for the information.

Blessed be!
Pappy
 
Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #65
pappy_mcfae
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Gentoo x86 & x86_64
Posts: 190

Rep: Reputation: 30
Smile There is much to be said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry View Post
I simply love using Slackware 12 and Dropline Gnome. Today I had to reinstall Win2k (for games & such) and boy let me tell you was it ever great to come home and find Slackware running after scheduling an automatic windows update...
...about how cool Dropline is. I had often wondered why Slackware didn't have the Gnome desktop, considering that Slackware has just about every other one. Some distros even set up Gnome as the default desktop. I figured that eventually, the answer would find its way to me. It did at long last.

While I have noted a few bugs, it's a decent desktop. AND I can invoke it using gdm. I don't have to change my default "startx" desktop; KDE. Can you say, "Oh Yeah!?"

Sure, I knew you could.

Blessed be!
Pappy
 
Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 AM   #66
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,748

Rep: Reputation: 160Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy_mcfae View Post
That was the trouble. I recompiled with that option set, and it worked.
So is that officially the end of all your HAL woes Pappy?
 
Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #67
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,913

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy_mcfae View Post
That was the trouble. I recompiled with that option (inotify) set, and it worked.

Chalk one more up for reproducing all "bugs" with the stock kernel prior to fussing about them in support forums.
 
Old 08-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #68
perry
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: USA & Canada
Distribution: Slackware 12.0
Posts: 978

Rep: Reputation: 30
Thumbs up Well...

Up till Slackware 10.1, Gnome was the default desktop for Slack. As of 10.2 Patrick gave up on trying to include it on two CDs. Given that Dropline takes up almost a whole CD by itself I can see why. But then again, dropline is packing alot of extras in there for you like OpenOffice, K3B, etc. Not to mention a bunch of other goodies. Don't know what it is but it just seems to be a much better fit for me.

- Perry

ps.
too bad lilo doesn't have a lastbooted= option... or does it?
 
Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 AM   #69
pappy_mcfae
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Gentoo x86 & x86_64
Posts: 190

Rep: Reputation: 30
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
So is that officially the end of all your HAL woes Pappy?
Actually, no. All the bugs are still there, I just know how to get around them. It's kinda sucky that I should have to bend my will to a computer operating system, instead of my will bending the computer...but such is life. Even though hal wasn't working under my kernel, it did "work" with the initial kernel as provided by Slack-12. When it worked for that moment in time, all the demons listed were in it. Now that my kernel is supporting hal, you can rest assured that the litany of bugs which have been discussed here are in residence inside this computer. They are just hidden away as I am presently working on the Windoze side of things.

For instance, I can't access my Linux native partition from the icon that says 14 Gig Media. However, if I type / in the url space in konqueror, then I can actually access the drive, and even, get this, the DVD ROM drive.

No, there is no getting around directly under konqueror. Oh well, such is life.

As to the use of Dropline, it eliminates most of the hal irritations. I can get around my file system without having to go sideways to move forward. I have only had a hal warning pop up once under Dropline. I forget what I was doing when it happened, and it only happened once, so it appears as if Dropline is a good way to have your hal, and not have it cramp your style.

Blessed be!
Pappy
 
Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #70
pappy_mcfae
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Gentoo x86 & x86_64
Posts: 190

Rep: Reputation: 30
Thumbs down Fussing my way to fame and riches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworkman View Post
Chalk one more up for reproducing all "bugs" with the stock kernel prior to fussing about them in support forums.
All the bugs that people have been reporting for Slack-12 are resident in this machine. Through my "fussing" about it in this forum, I found ways to get around some of these bugs, as did others. Just because I can avoid them doesn't mean they aren't there, I just know how to keep from crossing their paths.

Further, when my custom kernel wouldn't support hal, there were less problems getting around in konqueror than with the kernel that does support it. Just because I can move around in the operating system doesn't mean the operating system isn't somehow diminished. This is even truer when you compare Slack-11 to Slack-12.

I will keep Slack-12 on this machine. Eventually, someone is going to figure out how to de-fang hal. When that happens, I'll be able to use this machine the same way I use my Slack-11 machines.

Also, considering that hal is pretty much a non-entity under Dropline, a case could be made to make the desktop on this machine Dropline Gnome exclusively. Once all of Dropline's ducks are in a row, I might just do that.

Blessed be!
Pappy

Last edited by pappy_mcfae; 08-17-2007 at 01:31 AM. Reason: request of moderator
 
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #71
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,251

Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy_mcfae
Eventually, someone is going to figure out how to de-fang hal
You mean, eventually someone is going to figure out what is wrong specifically with your system and HAL. There is nothing to de-fang on my setup. As for accessing drives through media:/, as detailed in this thread: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ht=media%3A%2F if you use the generic kernel (either smp or non-smp) and create an initrd.gz, you should be able to access your mounted partitions through Konqueror. This basically means that, if you can't access them using your custom-built kernel, you didn't do it right (maybe you left out or enabled an obscure option that affects this). I haven't yet compiled my own kernel for my system (I'm not sure if I will -- compiling my own kernel made a difference on my old PC, but my new PC is really fast and I don't know how much a custom kernel will improve the performance of the system), so I can't help you with that. A good test would be to try out the generic-smp kernel (or the non-smp one) and create an initrd.gz to see if it works with that kernel (note: do NOT try the huge kernels, as stated in about a bazillion places in this forum). Post the output of "uname -a" and tell us whether accessing your MOUNTED partitions through media:/ in Konqueror works (type "mount" in a console to see which partitions are actually mounted, although I would think that any partitions displayed in media:/ in Konqueror should be mounted).

You seem to get quite upset at a lot -- and you also seem fairly stubborn (ie you keep reiterating the same "bugs" over and over without releasing much information). People are trying to help (although there are definitely those who will just attack). My point is, you shouldn't have to learn to live with the bugs in Slackware [if you have actually found real bugs, which I do not believe 100%]. There's a whole community here to try to help you get your system running perfectly, but your attitude seems to hinder that effort. You keep telling people to give the attitude a rest -- well, I would say the same to you.
 
Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #72
pappy_mcfae
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Gentoo x86 & x86_64
Posts: 190

Rep: Reputation: 30
Post Actually...

There is at least one thread here discussing hal. Some of the problems that have come up with hal:
1) Attempts to use the CD ROM drive result in some kind of hal-messagebus error message.
2) Attempts to use the dedicated Linux partition result in the same messages being generated.

Other Slack-12 bugs/errors not hal related
1) The X video library for the intel i810 video adapter has to be re-installed, because it gets changed to sil64.
2) Fonts look wrong, irregular, etc.
3) xorgsetup no longer auto-detects laptop LCD displays, and therefore, the refresh rate is incorrect.

The supposed way to get around the hal errors is to put your username in the /etc/group file UNLESS you prefer to run as root user. Of course, my own experience with this particular fix is even trying to use them as a non-root user, the above listed errors remain.

Non-hal bugs 1 and 2 are documented in other threads here. While I have yet to read of others having the problem with laptop displays and refresh rates over 60Hz, I find it hard to believe I am the only one to have this problem show up.

The hal bugs, or whatever you want to call them, definitely limit the way I use konqueror, one of my most used programs. However, the fact that there are work arounds gives me Slack-12 functionality.

The upside is, as of yet, the hal bugs listed don't seem to effect Dropline Gnome. So, when I need to do file manager intensive work, I leave KDE and start Dropline.

Effectively, Dropline Gnome is the cure for the hal blues, so I am not really waiting for the defanging of hal. It's no longer a worry. Dropline did the job, and gave me the Gnome desktop. What a deal!

So, I am not really missing anything. I am honored that you are concerned about my seeming diminished experience with Slack-12. Really, it's no big thing! It's just a computer operating system. It's not like Slackware pays the bills around here. I am fine as froghair!



Blessed be!
Pappy

Last edited by pappy_mcfae; 08-17-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: request of moderator
 
Old 08-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #73
T3slider
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 2,251

Rep: Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630Reputation: 630
As for the xorgsetup no longer detecting LCD displays, I think I have seen it mentioned by someone else, and I might conclude that, since it worked in Slackware 11.0, it is one of the few actual bugs identified in Slackware 12.0. But I definitely may be wrong here (I don't have a laptop and I'm currently using an old IBM CRT monitor [although I hope that will soon change], so I can't test this myself).

As for preferring to run as a root user...why would you want to do that? Linux was set up to have multiple user accounts to remain more secure and to prevent system obliteration because of any incorrect commands or rogue processes etc. I almost never sign in as root and I have never felt hindered whatsoever -- "su" and "sudo" have always been there if I need to do some administrative tasks. If you read any Linux guide anywhere, period, it will almost definitely recommend against running as root for any length of time (especially in X windows).

"Attempts to use the CD ROM drive result in some kind of hal-messagebus error message." -- not really a bug -- when you add a user, you have the option of adding that user to one or more groups. You, as root, decide what groups these users belong in. If you want them to be able to mount CDs etc. through HAL, put them in the cdrom and plugdev groups. If you don't want them to do that, leave them out of those groups. That's more ignorance than a bug (although I will admit that if people hadn't posted so many threads about HAL I probably wouldn't have known what to do either -- I have also learned to always read the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT, UPGRADE.TXT and RELEASE_NOTES files or risk getting yelled at! )

"Attempts to use the dedicated Linux partition result in the same messages being generated." -- I posted about this in my last post and didn't really get a response (it's entirely possible that you don't want to spend the effort going through kernel options and figuring out which one caused the bad behaviour, or to try the generic kernel -- which is totally understandable. We don't all have an infinite amount of time, right?)

"The X video library for the intel i810 video adapter has to be re-installed, because it gets changed to sil64." -- that's the first I've heard of this one, but I don't read all the threads and I guess I wasn't too interested in knowing it because I don't have that problem.

"Fonts look wrong, irregular, etc." -- I've heard this a lot, but all my fonts look perfectly fine. Go figure.

As for Dropline being the cure for HAL blues, you could always disable HAL and mount your partitions like you always did. No more HAL blues (although I have no HAL blues anyway running KDE).

"It's not like Slackware pays the bills around here" -- so I take it you're not into online banking?
 
Old 08-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #74
pappy_mcfae
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Distribution: Gentoo x86 & x86_64
Posts: 190

Rep: Reputation: 30
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3slider View Post
As for the xorgsetup no longer detecting LCD displays, I think I have seen it mentioned by someone else, and I might conclude that, since it worked in Slackware 11.0, it is one of the few actual bugs identified in Slackware 12.0. But I definitely may be wrong here (I don't have a laptop and I'm currently using an old IBM CRT monitor [although I hope that will soon change], so I can't test this myself).
I haven't seen the report of that bug, just the results of its effect. Thankfully, I know how to edit the xorg.conf file to get it working properly. Thank the goddess I had an extra CRT monitor sitting around so I could verify my suspicions.

Quote:
As for preferring to run as a root user...why would you want to do that? Linux was set up to have multiple user accounts to remain more secure and to prevent system obliteration because of any incorrect commands or rogue processes etc. I almost never sign in as root and I have never felt hindered whatsoever -- "su" and "sudo" have always been there if I need to do some administrative tasks. If you read any Linux guide anywhere, period, it will almost definitely recommend against running as root for any length of time (especially in X windows).
Call it insanity; a power trip if you will. I like to be able to work with my directory tree unencumbered. I know I could use "su", but why? The machines I use the most are turned off when not in use. I am not worried about a data attack because I am here working with those machines when they are turned on and operating.

I am also used to working as the root user. I did it way back when, and I continue to do it now. Since I am the only one at my home who even knows what Linux means, much less anything else about it, I am not all that worried that my roommates will mess with my laptops. I doubt that any of them could get past the log-in screen, much less get in and do any real damage. Besides, they know that my computers are my kids, and I don't take kindly to anyone messing with my kids, even if they are digital.

Quote:
"Attempts to use the CD ROM drive result in some kind of hal-messagebus error message." -- not really a bug -- when you add a user, you have the option of adding that user to one or more groups. You, as root, decide what groups these users belong in. If you want them to be able to mount CDs etc. through HAL, put them in the cdrom and plugdev groups. If you don't want them to do that, leave them out of those groups. That's more ignorance than a bug (although I will admit that if people hadn't posted so many threads about HAL I probably wouldn't have known what to do either -- I have also learned to always read the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT, UPGRADE.TXT and RELEASE_NOTES files or risk getting yelled at! )
You say, "tomato," I say, "large, red fruit from the nightshade family, once thought poisonous, and now the root of many different culinary traditions." When you look at it from the point of view of one who had previously been using konqueror under Slack-11 with no problems at all, the addition of hal into the mix can only be perceived as a backslide, and an intentional one at that.

I never had one Iota of trouble with konqueror under Slack-11. That's why I became hooked on it. That is why not being allowed direct access to my media is a barely acceptable irritation. The fact that I can back door my data, so to speak, means that I am willing to deal with Slack-12 and hal. However, I still fail to see all the snaz that is supposed to be possessed in hal. To me, it is an unwelcome, unnecessary program. Once I figure out how to properly re-compile kdebase 3.5.7 without hal support, then I won't have the problems anymore. Hal will be but a distant memory.

Quote:
"Attempts to use the dedicated Linux partition result in the same messages being generated." -- I posted about this in my last post and didn't really get a response (it's entirely possible that you don't want to spend the effort going through kernel options and figuring out which one caused the bad behaviour, or to try the generic kernel -- which is totally understandable. We don't all have an infinite amount of time, right?)
I have tried numerous fixes. As of yet, none of them have really made much difference. I do have a non-root user on this machine. That user's name is in the /etc/group file, in all the places suggested, and some that weren't. The messagebus message remains as perennial as the grass.

However, if I click on the "root folder" option under konqueror, or type / in the internet address box, then I can get to that drive.

Quote:
"The X video library for the intel i810 video adapter has to be re-installed, because it gets changed to sil64." -- that's the first I've heard of this one, but I don't read all the threads and I guess I wasn't too interested in knowing it because I don't have that problem.
I found that bug in this thread. I just happened to come across it. Once I decided to put Slack-12 back on this machine, I was really glad that I knew the thread existed! I mean REALLY glad I knew it existed. I had to fix the same bug on this machine before I could get to fixing the refresh rate bug.

Quote:
"Fonts look wrong, irregular, etc." -- I've heard this a lot, but all my fonts look perfectly fine. Go figure.
So far, the only fonts I have seen that were screwy were part of Firefox. The good thing with that is Firefox lets you select your own fonts and sizes, so that bug was dispatched rather well. I haven't seen the problem in any other programs as of yet.

Quote:
As for Dropline being the cure for HAL blues, you could always disable HAL and mount your partitions like you always did. No more HAL blues (although I have no HAL blues anyway running KDE).

"It's not like Slackware pays the bills around here" -- so I take it you're not into online banking?
Ah, t'were it only to be that easy. No, I think in order to get away from any effects of hal, you need to compile it out of Slack-12. I have "disabled" hal in many ways. The time I spent running Slack-12 with my non-hal-supporting kernel proves that hal cannot be "disabled". Its effects were still "felt" on the system, even when it was supposedly no longer working. I feel it has to be compiled out of the system.

No, I don't do online banking. That's one of those things that I really thing is a bad idea. It's risky enough to send your credit card data over the net. IMHO, it's sheer lunacy to do other bank related things over the net. But that's my opinion.

Blessed be!
Pappy
 
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #75
rworkman
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama (USA)
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,913

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Pappy:
Post the exact output of this command here:
getent group plugdev
 
  


Reply

Tags
compile, error, install, installer, make, nvidia, slackware, trolling


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to use HAL wesd Linux - Software 1 06-11-2007 04:00 PM
HAL won't load akjo Slackware 9 01-23-2007 09:03 AM
hal problem fibbi Linux - Software 3 01-11-2006 09:19 AM
hal krusty_lab Fedora 3 10-10-2005 10:23 AM
Hal gamehack Programming 7 12-16-2004 02:03 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration