LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 AM   #16
pokipoki08
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 76

Rep: Reputation: 16

amarok > aqualung features screenshots (I use it for all my audio files : mac, flac, mp3 etc, use slacky.eu 12.2 script to compile)
Kedit > Mousepad (excellent, lightweight & fast)
ark > xarchiver (faster than ark)
dolphin > thunar (extra plugins available at SBo desktop section)

easytag for tagging audio files
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #17
amiga32
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Distribution: slackware bro
Posts: 161

Rep: Reputation: 38
Quote:
I just got Xcdroast. Can it burn iso images?
Indeed. It can pretty much do everything you could in k3b but it's just not as pretty They both use the same backends (cdrecord, cdrdao, growisofs) if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Have XMMS a long time now, but how do I use it with Shoutcast radio.
You can just download the shoutcast and open it in xmms.

Quote:
Actually never heard of Deluge, but I'll go look it over now that you mentioned it (although Transmission is simple enough for me).
Deluge is nice, it's very easy to configure and has a much faster backend (libtorrent) than Transmission does. Transmission may be a tad lighter though, I'm not too sure. Whatever works for you
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
tommcd
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA USA
Distribution: Lubuntu, Slackware
Posts: 2,230

Rep: Reputation: 287Reputation: 287Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_bro1972 View Post
Have XMMS a long time now, but how do I use it with Shoutcast radio. Right now it's just a cd/mp3 player (in which I am very happy with as cd players go).
For Shoutcast radio, as well as Live 365, Xiph, and many other radio stations, you can use StreamTuner. There is a slack-build for it:
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...o/streamtuner/
To record internet radio streams you can use Stream Ripper:
http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.../streamripper/
I don't think StreamTuner is being developed any more. It has been stuck at version 0.99.99 for ages. But it still works very well in Slackware 13.
I am using Slackware 13 32 bit, so I don't know how well StreamTuner would compile on Slackware 64 bit; but with your system using a PIII CPU you don't need to worry about that anyway.

I have been interested in getting rid of KDE also, since I use XFCE. The one thing that stops me is finding a good replacement for K3B. K3B is the best graphical CD / DVD burning tool by a long shot. Do the replacements for K3B that have been mentioned like Xcdroast and XFburn work as well as K3B for burning CDs, DVDs, and burning iso images?

Last edited by tommcd; 09-09-2009 at 05:53 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #19
stinkytaco
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: Fargo, ND
Distribution: Slackware 13
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga32 View Post
Thanks but both Abiword and gnumeric (I believe) are both very GNOME-centric. OP is shooting for a GTK neutral replacement afaik.
By that argument wouldn't Mousepad, Pidgin and Thunar be out? All are GTK if I am not mistaken. If you're going to run XFCE, you're running a GTK environment. If you wanted to be lightweight and GTK neutral (for the OPs older computers) perhaps Fluxbox, WindowMaker or Openbox would be a better choice? WindowMaker has a decent package of included apps.

I've always seen XFCE as "Gnome Lite", which is perhaps unfair, but it's also nice to be able to get some of the better Gnome apps (Abiword) in that environment. Open Office will probably not run well on older computers but I can't think of a QT/GTK neutral word processor other than Open Office.

Oh, and I would add Claws Mail or Sylpheed to the list. Claws Mail is a great, fast mail client with lots of plugins for more features (news reading, RSS, etc).

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...rk/claws-mail/
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
chaz_bro1972
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytaco View Post
By that argument wouldn't Mousepad, Pidgin and Thunar be out? All are GTK if I am not mistaken. If you're going to run XFCE, you're running a GTK environment. If you wanted to be lightweight and GTK neutral (for the OPs older computers) perhaps Fluxbox, WindowMaker or Openbox would be a better choice? WindowMaker has a decent package of included apps.
GTK+ is just fine, while being dependent on Gnome isn't. XFCE is supposed to be it's own Desktop Environment, just as KDE and Gnome are. I want applications that are NOT dependent on Gnome or KDE, that completes the XFCE Desktop Environment.

Quote:
I've always seen XFCE as "Gnome Lite", which is perhaps unfair, but it's also nice to be able to get some of the better Gnome apps (Abiword) in that environment. Open Office will probably not run well on older computers but I can't think of a QT/GTK neutral word processor other than Open Office.
While one could argue that AbiWord is a typically Gnome app, it is possible to add it without adding Gnome. The Slackbuild for AbiWord actually calls for these Gnome libraries: libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprintui, libgnomeprint, and libgnomecups. It doesn't actually require Gnome, though. I haven't researched Gnumeric enough to know if this fully requires Gnome or not.

Quote:
Oh, and I would add Claws Mail or Sylpheed to the list. Claws Mail is a great, fast mail client with lots of plugins for more features (news reading, RSS, etc).

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13...rk/claws-mail/
Again, you failed to read above where I said," IF and When I want to download my email, I use SeaMonkey's and/or Opera's mail." Typically I just READ my email using Gmail's Webmail. Remember I have a old computer with a small hard drive - very limited on space.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
chaz_bro1972
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdemuth View Post
Change is a difficult thing to deal with, especially when it puts us outside our comfort zone and the things we have been used to.
I know that. That is why I'm stepping way, way out of my comfort zone, and abandoning KDE completely. I'm looking toward to a future without a big gigantic Desktop Environment wasting my computer's limited resources. I'm giving KDE the boot, and I'll be using the lightweight XFCE to fill KDE's shoes. And my decision is final.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #22
stinkytaco
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: Fargo, ND
Distribution: Slackware 13
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_bro1972 View Post
GTK+ is just fine, while being dependent on Gnome isn't. XFCE is supposed to be it's own Desktop Environment, just as KDE and Gnome are. I want applications that are NOT dependent on Gnome or KDE, that completes the XFCE Desktop Environment.
My comment was directly in response to amiga32's statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga32 View Post
OP is shooting for a GTK neutral replacement afaik.
When some of the alternatives he offered we not GTK nuetral (Mousepad, Thunar and Pidgin are all GTK based).

I offered Abiword as a lightweight alternative to OpenOffice, which is, in my opinion, too resource intensive for use on older machines. Gnumeric as well. Both are GTK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_bro1972 View Post
While one could argue that AbiWord is a typically Gnome app, it is possible to add it without adding Gnome. The Slackbuild for AbiWord actually calls for these Gnome libraries: libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprintui, libgnomeprint, and libgnomecups. It doesn't actually require Gnome, though. I haven't researched Gnumeric enough to know if this fully requires Gnome or not.
I think there's a difference in terminology here. Nothing is really "dependent" on Gnome. A desktop environment is a group of frameworks, applications, and libraries that "play nice" together. In the case of Gnome the foundation is GTK and all the applications (window managers, file managers, office tools, etc) are all GTK based and share many of the same libraries. XFCE uses the same toolkit (GTK) and replaces some of Gnome's core applications with its own. I can run KDE apps without KDE (i.e. inside XFCE), but I still need a lot of the same tools KDE requires.

If you're going to use XFCE and want to totally replace the KDE applications on your system a lot of the Gnome applications will suit your needs because they share a common set of libraries, toolkits, etc. It will look and feel more consistent as well. As far as I know you can run all of them without installing Gnome.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #23
eerok
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 167

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_bro1972 View Post
I'm looking toward to a future without a big gigantic Desktop Environment wasting my computer's limited resources. I'm giving KDE the boot, and I'll be using the lightweight XFCE to fill KDE's shoes. And my decision is final.
If I were you I'd add another HD to your machine. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a used 40G drive for $10 or free somewhere. Then you could do a full install on the 20G and use the 40G as a data drive.

Although I have very fast modern machines with lots of resources, I still run Fluxbox on Slack. I like the simplicity and control. I'm more used to running Fluxbox or Openbox with Gnome components on other distros, and avoid KDE stuff almost entirely (sometimes you need QT for something like VirtualBox), but I get along quite well with KDE-centric Slack.

I don't like adding Gnome to Slack, though I've done it in the past. This is fine since Fluxbox + Xfce + KDE4 add up to a very nice system IMO. I use Thunar and the Xfce terminal. I use simple files to handle the GTK config: fonts, icons, themes, backgrounds, etc., and everything looks great. And I have tons of nice doodads from KDE4 like games, utilities, amarok, kopete, etc., which I find all work well.

All you need is that cheap or free obsolete HD so you have room for the full install, and you could make your life a lot easier.
 
0 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #24
chaz_bro1972
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Distribution: Slackware 14.0
Posts: 96

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I don't like adding Gnome to Slack, though I've done it in the past. This is fine since Fluxbox + Xfce + KDE4 add up to a very nice system IMO. I use Thunar and the Xfce terminal. I use simple files to handle the GTK config: fonts, icons, themes, backgrounds, etc., and everything looks great. And I have tons of nice doodads from KDE4 like games, utilities, amarok, kopete, etc., which I find all work well.
Pay attention to details. I do NOT want KDE OR Gnome. I just want XFCE. PERIOD. Maybe some window managers like Fluxbox & IceWM (sometimes I get the wild hair to use TWM!). I had the balls to switch from Windows 98 SE & Windows 2000 Pro to Slackware Linux (straight-up Geekware ). I think I can handle leaving big, comfy KDE for XFCE, or even less.

Honestly, there is no $$$ for upgrades for my computer hardware. SERIOUSLY! NO MONEY. NONE. NADA. Zilch. $0.00 for computer hardware. And no there isn't 40GB hard drives to be had for free here in Oklahoma. This 20GB drive cost me $25, and I was lucky to even get it at all. We are that poor. Think Foodstamps, think Section 8 (government housing). Think dirt poor. No car. No cable. No Dish. No Tivo. No game console (not even Sony's PS-1), unless you count the ZSnes program emulating Super Nintendo on my slow PC. Lucky to have some what high-speed internet. I could be on dial-up. I am that poor.
 
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #25
amiga32
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Distribution: slackware bro
Posts: 161

Rep: Reputation: 38
Quote:
When some of the alternatives he offered we not GTK nuetral (Mousepad, Thunar and Pidgin are all GTK based).
I think almost everything I listed uses GTK toolkit. When I said GTK neutral, I meant GTK without too much slant toward more GNOME specific libraries/dependencies. Notice Abiword has plenty of them and OpenOffice does not.

Quote:
If you're going to use XFCE and want to totally replace the KDE applications on your system a lot of the Gnome applications will suit your needs because they share a common set of libraries, toolkits, etc.
This is exactly why I stay from GNOME specifics. I figured this out a couple years ago after a port install of AbiWord on FreeBSD. Suddenly my XFCE rodent icon theme was overtaken with GNOME's stupid icons. A quick google search turned out some people on the Arch linux forum had the same problem as me after a pacman install of Abiword on XFCE. I forget what I had to do to get it back, but that's not the point, it should have never happened in the first place.

Last edited by amiga32; 09-09-2009 at 10:58 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #26
dive
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,211

Rep: Reputation: 292Reputation: 292Reputation: 292
I have booted kde from my laptop in favour of Ion3 and fluxbox, but leave it on my desktop where it runs quite nicely *but* I cannot run Unreal Tournament with it. Even with compositing turned off it still makes UT stutter.

Some more substitutions anyway:

k3b = xfburn, xcdroast, graveman
kile = texmaker
kpdf/ocular = evince, epdfview
kate = medit
ktorrent = qbittorrent, transmission, rtorrent

(Yes I know qbittorrent needs qt but it works _really_ well)

These are all on slackbuilds.org I think.

I never used korifice anyway (krap). Instead I use abiword for simple stuff (rtf mainly) and Open Orifice for more complex stuff. Abiword supports rtf files better than OOo.

Last edited by dive; 09-10-2009 at 12:57 AM.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #27
catkin
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Tamil Nadu, India
Distribution: Servers: Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. Desktop: Slackware64 14.0. Netbook: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 8,551
Blog Entries: 28

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_bro1972 View Post
Pay attention to details. I do NOT want KDE OR Gnome. I just want XFCE. PERIOD. Maybe some window managers like Fluxbox & IceWM (sometimes I get the wild hair to use TWM!). I had the balls to switch from Windows 98 SE & Windows 2000 Pro to Slackware Linux (straight-up Geekware ). I think I can handle leaving big, comfy KDE for XFCE, or even less.

Honestly, there is no $$$ for upgrades for my computer hardware. SERIOUSLY! NO MONEY. NONE. NADA. Zilch. $0.00 for computer hardware. And no there isn't 40GB hard drives to be had for free here in Oklahoma. This 20GB drive cost me $25, and I was lucky to even get it at all. We are that poor. Think Foodstamps, think Section 8 (government housing). Think dirt poor. No car. No cable. No Dish. No Tivo. No game console (not even Sony's PS-1), unless you count the ZSnes program emulating Super Nintendo on my slow PC. Lucky to have some what high-speed internet. I could be on dial-up. I am that poor.
Fair play, mate Nice to see you're doing so much with so little.

If you've got the balls to "have a go" and are happy to dig yourself out of whatever mess you get into (as you obviously have) then really no need for the cautious approach of a parallel system on another HDD. I recently switched from Gnome to Xfce and was delighted to find how interchangeable the desktop environment building blocks are, based around freedesktop.org Specifications.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #28
pokipoki08
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Posts: 76

Rep: Reputation: 16
Just tried installing deluge, it's more feature rich compared to Transmission. Oddly, some of my torrents cannot get any response from trackers for days when using Transmission. Those torrents just works in deluge, straight away.

Thanks for highlighting this app.

Most of the deps are available from SBo 13.0. I used the deluge slackbuild from slacky.eu.
 
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #29
niels.horn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,004

Rep: Reputation: 89
KDE4: an awful way to waste your processor if using it, and an awful way to waste your hard disk if having it installed and not using it.

Yes, I do have modern hardware with lots of memory and hard disk space...
Yes, I know I can tweak everything in KDE4 so that it doesn't look like KDE4. But then, what's the point of using it?

But, hey, feel free to use whatever you like. This is Slackware, *you* are in control!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #30
witek
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Location: Poland, Łódź
Distribution: Lubuntu, Salix
Posts: 102

Rep: Reputation: 19
I also switched from KDE4 to XFCE however I decided to use Kmail as my e-mail client as I consider it to be the best open-source e-mail reader with no replacement. Konqueror stays as my file manager. Its ability to split widow into several parts in which one can have ftp, sftp and samba sessions is also unreplacable.
 
  


Reply

Tags
application, gnome, kde4, slackware13, xfce


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any body notice 100% CPU usage on KDE4 by Plasma?? kayasaman Linux - Desktop 3 07-19-2009 10:46 PM
XFCE Taskbar buttons with overlapping text and amarok using 100% CPU librano Linux - Software 0 05-29-2006 05:48 PM
deleting 100 rows in text file (1-100) via terminal itz2000 Linux - Newbie 5 01-17-2006 11:19 PM
Xircom CreditCard 10/100 CE3-10/100 driver not loaded under FEDORA or RHEL androphag Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 02-06-2005 01:35 AM
RBEM56G-100 Xircom RealPort Cardbus Ethernet 10/100+Model 56 Linux Drivers/ Phalk sxa Linux - Laptop and Netbook 1 06-12-2004 11:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration