SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Works perfectly fine for me on both Slackware-current and Slackware64-current.
I used 3 patches from links you provided and finally get all(pvalloc, valloc, posix_memalign) works(2.17, and 2.18 multilibs), anyway, thanks, I don't know why your patch didn't. And I tested on glibc 2.7 (slackware 12.2), this problem occurred as well.
On Slackware 14.1, I am having the exact same problem with Firefox, and perhaps other programs, but definitely similar results--segmentation faults--on many of the programs I use or used: Emacs, GIMP, Seamonkey, Thunderbird, image viewers, etc., and I had had the problem on SlackBuilds like Claws Mail, but I also did a new installation on my PC and laptop, without SlackBuilds, erased all my X/KDE configuration. Someone said it may be my RAM, however that is just several months old, and I did memtest86+ until it said '100%', with no errors (though it seemed like it had only got far into test #8 of 11 and was calling that '100%', but was still going--I thought it restarted). My installation ISO's md5sum was ok.
For reference, that's this bug. It's a pretty critical error, but it also seems extremely rare for it to affect anything at all. And yes, it's a GLib error, not a glibc error, so it has nothing to do with this thread in particular.
Slackware 14.1 gets released, and within a week OpenSSH and glibc have vulnerabilities. Seems legit.