LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   [REQUEST] Enable 3D acceleration for Radeon HD7000 and HD8000 cards (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/%5Brequest%5D-enable-3d-acceleration-for-radeon-hd7000-and-hd8000-cards-4175470117/)

TobiSGD 07-18-2013 04:21 PM

[REQUEST] Enable 3D acceleration for Radeon HD7000 and HD8000 cards
 
As it seems Mesa in Slackware -current is compiled without the radeonsi Gallium3D driver, so Radeon HD7000 and HD8000 videochips don't get 3D acceleration. To change this radeonsi has to be added to the
Code:

--with-gallium-drivers=
line in the Mesa Slackbuild.
Unfortunately I have no card from those series available, so I can't test this.

Darth Vader 07-18-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobiSGD (Post 4992790)
As it seems Mesa in Slackware -current is compiled without the radeonsi Gallium3D driver, so Radeon HD7000 and HD8000 videochips don't get 3D acceleration. To change this radeonsi has to be added to the
Code:

--with-gallium-drivers=
line in the Mesa Slackbuild.
Unfortunately I have no card from those series available, so I can't test this.

For RadeonSI you need also R600 target support on LLVM-3.3 enabled with parameter
Code:

--enable-experimental-targets=R600
.

volkerdi 07-18-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Vader (Post 4992851)
For RadeonSI you need also R600 target support on LLVM-3.3 enabled with parameter
Code:

--enable-experimental-targets=R600
.

That's what the error message told me, too. But then it says that --enable-experimental-targets is an unrecognized option.

volkerdi 07-18-2013 07:32 PM

Also tried --enable-r600-llvm-compiler, but it still spits out the error about needing the option that doesn't work, and the resulting package is missing the drivers for VMware.

Looks like a no-go for now.

TobiSGD 07-18-2013 09:29 PM

Wow, there is more into it than I thought. Thanks for your effort.

EDIT: FWIW, I just tested if that option is recognized when using the latest git of LLVM/Clang and it worked indeed, so I think that this is something to look into after the 14.1 release.

ReaperX7 07-18-2013 09:49 PM

Try these flags in the configuration and see if they help. I used some of these a while back on my custom libMesa build and they seemed to work:

Code:

--enable-r600-llvm-compiler \
--enable-egl1 \
--enable-egl2 \
--enable-openvg \
--enable-xorg \
--enable-xa \
--enable-opencl \
--with-gallium-drivers="nouveau,r300,r600,radeonsi,svga" \
--with-dri-drivers="i915,i965,intel,radeon,r200,swrast"

BTW: you may want to check -current against the new 9.1.5 sources of libmesa: ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/9...-9.1.5.tar.bz2

And OpenCL might pester for these also:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14...pencl-headers/

volkerdi 07-19-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReaperX7 (Post 4992902)
BTW: you may want to check -current against the new 9.1.5 sources of libmesa: ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/9...-9.1.5.tar.bz2

I'm grabbing that now. But if radeonsi requires features that are labeled experimental, it's not time for that yet.

tuxbg 07-19-2013 01:07 AM

Also for OpenGL 3.0/3.1 Pat you need this
Code:

--enable-texture-float

ReaperX7 07-19-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerdi (Post 4992977)
I'm grabbing that now. But if radeonsi requires features that are labeled experimental, it's not time for that yet.

Might be good to have a package with it for /Testing just in case anyone wants to give it a go, or has a card that can be tested with those chipsets, rather than excluding it.

Also, is the latest libdrm 2.4.26 incorporated?

http://dri.freedesktop.org/libdrm/libdrm-2.4.46.tar.bz2

BroX 07-19-2013 09:19 AM

I'd be happy to test packages to enable radeonsi with a HD7750 card.

BroX 07-19-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerdi (Post 4992854)
That's what the error message told me, too. But then it says that --enable-experimental-targets is an unrecognized option.

I had no problems rebuilding llvm-3.3 with --enable-experimental-targets=R600. And after applying a patch from LFS I rebuilt mesa-9.1.4 including radeonsi.

Details in this post.

To cut to the chase: so far, radeonsi gets loaded, but X crashes with a segfault :(

ReaperX7 07-19-2013 04:36 PM

Maybe X needs to be rebuilt also...

Darth Vader 07-19-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkerdi (Post 4992854)
That's what the error message told me, too. But then it says that --enable-experimental-targets is an unrecognized option.

LLVM-3.3 is (re)compiled here just fine, on the latest current, using the following ./configure arguments.

Code:

CFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
CXXFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --libdir=/usr/lib$LIBDIRSUFFIX \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --mandir=/usr/man \
  --enable-optimized \
  --disable-assertions \
  --enable-pic \
  --with-clang-resource-dir="../lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX}/clang/${VERSION}" \
  --enable-experimental-targets=R600 \
  --build=$ARCH-slackware-linux \
  --host=$ARCH-slackware-linux || exit 1

Well, in other words, the latest LLVM(-3.3) have an new (experimental) target, written right by AMD, called R600. That support is used by (the latest) MESA for enabling the bytecode support required to support RadeonSI.

volkerdi 07-19-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Vader (Post 4993467)
LLVM-3.3 is (re)compiled here just fine, on the latest current, using the following ./configure arguments.

Yeah, I recompiled it correctly here last night after someone pointed out in an email that the option was to be applied to the llvm configure, not the mesa one. D'oh!

I'm still not sure what we'll do about this yet, as I still have some concerns that these changes could make X less stable on these cards. It might be better to wait until these features aren't marked as experimental. There's always the fglrx driver in the meantime.

Thanks for all the hints about this, though.

ReaperX7 07-19-2013 05:25 PM

Maybe we need to add a directory named /experimental sometime for stuff like this?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.