LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #16
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64 bit MLED with KDE
Posts: 245

Rep: Reputation: 32
Smile


Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
One word of caution. All packages are built on Slackware stable and meant to run on Slackware stable. I don't know how it works on current (might eat your hamster).

On the other hand, you can expect a new updated version for Slackware 14.1. Present versions will remain online and will continue to receive updates, though.
So far so good. The only thing I notice is that I can not watch amazon prime videos. Not a big deal since I don't usually watch them on my tower. I keep getting a message saying that the flash player needs to be updated. I tried installing the current version from slackbuilds, but it did not help.

Other than that (aside from forgetting to change the locale back to english) I think you did an outstanding job with this. :-)
 
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware64
Posts: 1,952

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 972Reputation: 972Reputation: 972Reputation: 972Reputation: 972Reputation: 972Reputation: 972Reputation: 972
Today's ChangeLog.txt:

Code:
Mon Jun 24 10:40:37 CEST 2013
Replaced 'get-MLED.sh' by 'install-MLED.sh'. This new script makes installing
MLED even more simple. Instead of downloading everything using wget and
installing the package collection using upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new,
we just parse the 'build_order' script and use slackpkg to install everything. 
Removed the 'get-multilib.sh' script as well as the multilib/ directory, since
this is also handled much more efficiently by slackpkg now.
Updated the documentation in 'MLED-14.0-*/README.txt' to reflect these changes.
Added a section about managing MLED with slackpkg+ and fixed a few typos.
Thanks to zakame, rinias and Bertman123 on LQ.
+--------------------------+
Mon Jun 24 08:49:54 CEST 2013
patches/ffmpeg-0.11.1-x86_64-2_microlinux.txz: Rebuilt.
  Fixed inconsistent $ARCH field in the package name, which made the package
	fly under slackpkg's radar ;o)
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
chess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 728

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Nice work, @kikinovak! I am definitely going to give MLED a spin. I love the way it looks.

@Bertman123 - Amazon prime video works, but you have to do a couple of workarounds. First, you have to reinstall hal and then you have disable Chrome's built in flash (if you are using Chrome). Check out this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...eo-4175418058/

I watch Doctor Who in Chrome on my Slackware laptop using Amazon prime and it works fine. I seem to recall that I grabbed the hal slackbuild and source from 13.37 and rebuilt it on my 14.0 box but I can't remember for sure. But I do know that hal is needed.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by chess; 06-24-2013 at 02:35 PM.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
sebre
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2013
Location: France
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 11

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Very clean job you made, sturdy and effective way of making things work. Inspiring pure slackism.
And I like very much your howtos.
Thank you.
 
Old 06-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64 bit MLED with KDE
Posts: 245

Rep: Reputation: 32
PEBKAC error

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
Nice work, @kikinovak! I am definitely going to give MLED a spin. I love the way it looks.

@Bertman123 - Amazon prime video works, but you have to do a couple of workarounds. First, you have to reinstall hal and then you have disable Chrome's built in flash (if you are using Chrome). Check out this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...eo-4175418058/

I watch Doctor Who in Chrome on my Slackware laptop using Amazon prime and it works fine. I seem to recall that I grabbed the hal slackbuild and source from 13.37 and rebuilt it on my 14.0 box but I can't remember for sure. But I do know that hal is needed.

Hope this helps!
@chess: I did figure it out. I'm pretty sure it has to do with installing MLED on current. It ended up downgrading firefox, and then I could run firefox after installing a newer version of it. When I reinstalled my laptop (another user error) I installed from scratch and am now able to watch prime videos again. =) Couldn't get prime videos to play on chrome. Have they fixed that yet?
 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
chess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 728

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman123 View Post
@chess: I did figure it out. I'm pretty sure it has to do with installing MLED on current. It ended up downgrading firefox, and then I could run firefox after installing a newer version of it. When I reinstalled my laptop (another user error) I installed from scratch and am now able to watch prime videos again. =) Couldn't get prime videos to play on chrome. Have they fixed that yet?
Yep, as I mentioned, I watch Amazon Instant prime videos on Chrome all the time on my 14.0 laptop -- with hal installed and with the Chrome built-in ppapi flash player disabled (the pepper flash engine). Works great, no lag or skipping or anything. I'm going through the entire series of the new Doctor Who, in fact. :-)
 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64 bit MLED with KDE
Posts: 245

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
Yep, as I mentioned, I watch Amazon Instant prime videos on Chrome all the time on my 14.0 laptop -- with hal installed and with the Chrome built-in ppapi flash player disabled (the pepper flash engine). Works great, no lag or skipping or anything. I'm going through the entire series of the new Doctor Who, in fact. :-)
How do you disable ppapi? I haven't figured that out yet. I just finished the second half of the 7th season and the first season of torchwood. :-)
 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #23
chess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 728

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman123 View Post
How do you disable ppapi? I haven't figured that out yet. I just finished the second half of the 7th season and the first season of torchwood. :-)
Open up Chrome, enter
Code:
about:plugins
in the URL bar, then in the plugin page, first click the little + sign to the far right by "Details." Then scroll down and look for Flash. You will probably have 2 entries. One will have a location of "/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so" and will be of the type "PPAPI (out-of-process)." The other one should have a location of "/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so" (or similar) and will be of the type NPAPI. You want to disable the first one so click the "Disable" link. Quit Chrome and restart. If you have done that and if you have hal installed, then Amazon prime video should work -- it does on my system.

I'm still with the 10th Doctor (I'm way behind) so no spoilers, please! :-)
 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
Bertman123
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2010
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64 bit MLED with KDE
Posts: 245

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
Open up Chrome, enter
Code:
about:plugins
in the URL bar, then in the plugin page, first click the little + sign to the far right by "Details." Then scroll down and look for Flash. You will probably have 2 entries. One will have a location of "/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so" and will be of the type "PPAPI (out-of-process)." The other one should have a location of "/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so" (or similar) and will be of the type NPAPI. You want to disable the first one so click the "Disable" link. Quit Chrome and restart. If you have done that and if you have hal installed, then Amazon prime video should work -- it does on my system.

I'm still with the 10th Doctor (I'm way behind) so no spoilers, please! :-)
I'll give that a try, thanks.

10th doctor is awesome. Definitely worth watching. :-)
 
  


Reply

Tags
desktop, xfce


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MLED 14.0 released! kikinovak Slackware 16 06-09-2013 10:04 AM
Third time is NOT a charm apparently... Jeebizz General 9 06-16-2010 06:35 PM
LXer: This week at LWN: Third time is the charm? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-14-2009 12:40 PM
ndiswrapper and wireless drivers with newer kernels... third time the charm? Saturnyne Fedora 4 08-19-2006 11:16 PM
Forth time not a charm..need help jolphil Debian 9 03-02-2005 08:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration