LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2001, 02:44 PM   #1
chamkila

Distribution: Redhat 7.3 Slackware 8.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
Installing Linux

installing Linux
Has anyone tried installing Linux On A Compaq Deskpro XL 5133, it has a 1gb SCSI hd.

I have tried Install RedHat, and a few other Linux Dist.It boots from the floopy It find the CD without any problems.

When its about to install Linux It keeps on say Disk interruption, so I change the Hard disk to a IDE one I got the same problem.

Then I got the IDE Hard disk and installed it in a different PC installed Redhat with out any problems. Then I installed the IDE hard disk in the Compaq PC, its start the LILO with out any problems, When the Kernel takes over I get the same error message.

Could some please help me out.

Thanks alot

Chamkila

Old 12-02-2001, 05:59 PM   #2
count_nikon
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Man, sounds like you have a problem. I would recomend that you install mandrake. its the easiest to install. It walks you through everything. If that doesn't work, e-mail me at count_nikon@yahoo.com and i'll talk to some of my friends and we'll see about getting you a solution

Old 12-02-2001, 09:43 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
oops, thought i was answering another post... my bad.

Last edited by trickykid; 12-02-2001 at 09:44 PM.

Old 12-03-2001, 06:02 PM   #4
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 72
For humor value you might want to try: Compaq sucks

I poked around and that compined scsi/ethernet controller on the board seems to probably be the issue. If you can disable it from bios you might be set. Also, there was an entire Debian thread listing about this: here that hopefully isn't entirely worthless.

I would probably already have given up and gutted it for parts. A Socket 5 mobo and an el cheapo ethernet card couldn't run you more than $20.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 12-26-2001, 01:16 AM   #5
gui10

Distribution: enigma, slack8

Rep: Reputation: 30
my ex army buddy used to work for some Compaq tech support...

he said everything about it sucks. don't bother buying any Compaq stuff.

i'd go with finegan and gut it for parts...