LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
mikeshn

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hust?

I saw a bumper sticker that says "HUST?". I loook on the dictionary and cannot find the translation. Any ideas what that can mean?

Old 09-12-2003, 04:25 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Most likely it means this: Huazhong University of Science and Technology

Its a "HUST ALUMNI ASSOCIATION in NORTH-AMERICA" that your seeing.

Simple google search found many pages only refering to this Alumni.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Capt_Caveman

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 69
Either that or he had an old HUSTLER bumper sticker, but the LER fell off.

Old 09-13-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
mikeshn

Original Poster
I checked on google first and find the "Huazhong University of Science and Technology"

What is not clear, if it is University why with questions mark "HUST?"

That's what I can't get it. Maybe it is some German word.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
crashmeister

Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway

Rep: Reputation: 47
It's definitely not german - at least not correct german.There is a word 'husten' which means 'cough' or 'coughing' but no hust.
Maybe french 'Le Hust?'

Old 09-13-2003, 06:42 PM   #6
BigBadPenguin

Distribution: Arch, Slackware 9.0, (knoppix standing by)

was it "hust?" or "HUST?"? I think it stands for something, maybe it's the new WWJD?... Le Hust? Qu'est-ce que c'est, ca?

Last edited by BigBadPenguin; 09-13-2003 at 06:50 PM.

Old 10-21-2003, 07:06 PM   #7
CTC Shmoyger
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Thumbs up

"Hust?" meint "Doo Hust?" azoy vee "Hust a Shmassa?"
Farshteiss?

Last edited by CTC Shmoyger; 10-21-2003 at 07:39 PM.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:17 PM   #8
YeshivisheHarry
LQ Newbie

you may have a problem understanding CTCShmoyger's Message. he wrote in the language known as the Yiddish Language.

For nearly a thousand years, Yiddish was the primary, sometimes the only language that Ashkenazi Jews spoke. Unlike most languages, which are spoken by the residents of a particular area, or by members of a particular nationality, Yiddish, at the height of its usage, was spoken by millions of Jews of different nationalities all over the globe. While the mid-twentieth century marked the end of Yiddish as a widely spoken language, and of the unique culture the language generated, some groups continue to use Yiddish as their primary language to this day. In addition, the language is now fully acknowledged and widely studied in the non-Jewish and academic worlds.
Linguists have divided the evolution of Yiddish into four amorphous periods. Over the course of the greater part of a millennium, Yiddish went from a Germanic dialect to a full-fledged language that incorporated elements of Hebrew, Aramaic, Slavic languages, and Romance languages. Because no decisive dates are known that contributed to modifications in the languages, the history can be charted using general dates as turning points: 1250, 1500, and 1750. Beginning in the tenth century, Jews from France and Northern Italy began to establish large communities in Germany for the first time. Small communities had existed, and spoken German, for some time, but the new residents along the Rhine river arrived speaking a Jewish-French dialect known as Laaz. The new arrivals punctuated their German speech with expressions and words from Laaz; additionally, they probably reached into Scriptural and Rabbinic literature and incorporated idioms into their daily speech. Thus, a modified version of medieval German that included elements of Laaz, biblical and Mishnaic Hebrew, and Aramaic came to be the primary language of western European Jews. The collective isolation that came to characterize Jewish communities in the aftermath of the Crusades probably contributed to the shift from regular German to a modified, more Jewish form. In the thirteenth century, the Jews tended to migrate eastward to escape persecution. Thus, Yiddish arrived in eastern Germany, Poland, and other eastern European territories for the first time. The exposure of Yiddish to the Slavic languages prevalent in the east changed it from a Germanic dialect to a language in its own right. Consequently, a division began to develop between the eastern Yiddish of the Jews living in Slavic lands, and the western Yiddish of the Jews who had remained in France and Germany. By the sixteenth century, eastern Europe, particularly Poland, had become the center of world Jewry. Thus, the language of the Jews increasingly incorporated elements of Slavic, and the divide between the two main dialects of Yiddish grew. It was also in this period that Yiddish became a written language in addition to a spoken one. Yiddish was, and is, written using Hebrew characters. After about 1700, western Yiddish began a slow and inevitable decline, and the eastern dialect became the more important and widely spoken one. The ebbing of the former was due in large part to the Haskalah and emancipations sweeping through western Europe, while the latter was aided by the Yiddish culture that flourished primarily in eastern Europe. By the mid-twentieth century, however, the Holocaust and the repression of Soviet Jews under Stalin resulted in the dramatic decline in the usage of either strain of Yiddish.

Now that you from where the language originated I will explain what Hust means-to hold or maintain as a possession, privilege, or entitlement <they hust a new car> <I hust my rights>

CTCShmoyger gave the example of "Hust a Shmassa?"

Shmassa a : a strip of flexible material worn especially around the waist b : a similar article worn as a corset or for protection or safety or as a symbol of distinction

Shmassa in english is better known as a belt

Belts are made from a variety of materials, particularly leather, suede, reptiles and exotic skins, wooden links, plastic strips, plastic links, all types of fabrics, and straw. Some belts are made of cloth to match a garment. Jeweled, beaded or sequined belts are often used for evening clothes. Wide ribbon can be used for sashes. Buckles can be made of wood, metal or plastic. Some buckles are covered with the belt material.

So Basically This Bumper sticker is asking: Do You Have A Belt?

Do You?

Last edited by YeshivisheHarry; 10-27-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:16 AM   #9
Azmeen

Distribution: Slackware, LFS, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 47
Woah YeshivisheHarry... that was deep. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Old 10-28-2003, 07:00 PM   #10
Emmet L. Brown
LQ Newbie

Thumbs down

I take a Yiddish course in brooklyn college and happen to know that after yeshivisheharvey's whole schmooz about the origins of the langauge he did not even properly define the word. Hust means Do You Have? If you want to say that you do have or that you own you would say: eech (I) Hub (have). If you want to say they have you say Zey (they) Hubben (have) ah (a) Nayer (new) khar (car). It seems that boring lesson payed off. and just when i thousht i'd drop it to take proffesor lou belsky's computer workshop........

Old 10-28-2003, 08:20 PM   #11
LumdisheHarry
LQ Newbie

The gontzeh shmooezz with the belt reminds me of a vort i once said in Yeshiva a mull: I was always bothered by the following Kasha: Why do firemen wear suspenders? Until one day I discovered the amazing Teritz. You all know the famous vort from Harav Shmoyger ZTL: A rayeh min Hatorah that Dasan Va'aveeram wore belts: The pasuk says "Vayeilchu Dasan Va'aveeram" would Dasan and Aveeram go without belts? Now I asked my Rebbe what's pshat in the vort? Maybe they went without belts, what's so shverr? So he answered me that if they wouldn't be wearing belts they wouldn't be wearing hoisen, because they would fall down. Would Dasan and Aveeram go without Hoisen? So in order to wear hoisen, mimeilah they wore belts, that's pshat. Now that answers why firemen wear suspenders. Because without suspenders there would be no pants, because they would fall down. It's GIshmak. So I was thinking that maybe this could also explain, "Hust a Shmassa?" When they ask hust a shmassa? maybe they're really asking do you have hoysen?, because without a belt, they'res no hoisen. Uber I have a shverkeit on the gontze shtikel. Why couldn't Dasan Vaveeram wear suspenders? That would have held up the hoysen. And if you're going to say they didn't have suspenders in those days, I have arayeh from a passuk that they did. It says "Vayavoy Haman" Would Haman go without suspenders?

Last edited by LumdisheHarry; 10-28-2003 at 08:22 PM.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
BalibatishHarry
LQ Newbie

Unhappy

Well That was indeed quite deep Mr. Lomdish. Tomorrow @ my Daf Yomi shiur I will bring it up. I do hope it will not take long because i don't want to miss the 8:30 train to wall street. And it will take an extra minute to pick up the post from the newsstand at the train station. Do Firemen not wear belts as well? hence, your question is nullified for a belt is sufficient to hold up ones trousers as well as to gird ones loins. How can this inconsistency be explained

Old 10-29-2003, 10:30 PM   #13
neo77777
LQ Addict

Distribution: *NIX

Rep: Reputation: 56
What's up with all these *Harries?

Old 10-31-2003, 01:05 PM   #14
LumdisheHarry
LQ Newbie

Ein hochee namee. the steerah cannot be farenfert, good ha'arah, i think you should write it down and write a sefer called toras lukshen. I'll give the hoskomo, and then me and you will be on the cover of the new york POST!

And to neo777: Macht nisht choyzak oyf the "harries" du bist a shmoyger she'eyn cumoyhoo.

Last edited by LumdisheHarry; 11-01-2003 at 05:35 PM.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:19 PM   #15
ItalianHarry
LQ Newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by LumdisheHarry
and then me and you will be on the cover of the new york POST!

WHAT!!!!????

Closed Thread