LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2003, 05:15 PM   #1
lel800

Distribution: Red Hat RHEL WS 3, RHEL WS 4

Rep: Reputation: 30
mkisofs Linux to MacOSX

Hello, I'd like to burn a directory of files to a CD using cdrecord on Red Hat 8.0 and then view these files on my eMac running Mac OS X. I also need to view them on windows so I include -J and that is working.

So I begin by using mkisofs

mkisofs -o MyIso.iso -JR -apple MyFile

The iso file is created but I see the output in the terminal reads..

"Warning: no Apple/Unix files will be decoded/mapped"

Then I burn using cdrecord. Afterwards I can access the files using Linux and Windows but not from the Mac.

I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks so much.

Old 08-31-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
2damncommon

Distribution: PCLINUXOS

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
Possibly this (from the man page):
-part Generate an HFS partition table. By default, no partition table is generated, but some older Macintosh CDROM drivers need an HFS partition table on the CDROM to be able to recognize a hybrid CDROM.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
lel800

Distribution: Red Hat RHEL WS 3, RHEL WS 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. But I am still having the same problem.

I tried the -part parameter with the mkisofs command ..

mkisofs -o MyFile.iso -JR -apple -part home/mydir

But I still see 0 files when I load my CD into the Mac.

I'm really confused because I thought Linux was based on Unix and I thought Mac OS X was based on Unix, and when I burn a CD from Windows using an HP CD writer, Yes...I can view the files with my Mac but not when I burn from Linux??!

This is not making sense. I'd appreciate any additional help. How do I save files to a CD on Red Hat so I can view them on a Mac? Without using MS Windows as a "translator" ?

Old 09-01-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
2damncommon

Distribution: PCLINUXOS

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
3 more links for you.
http://www.lugatgt.org/articles/cd_burning/#toc_2_4_7
Generating a Macintosh CD takes quite a bit more effort. Macs have traditonally used the HFS filesystem on CDs as well as hard disks. The mkisofs program can generate HFS CD images, but it can also generate CD images using Apple's extensions to ISO 9660 (kind of like Apple Joliet). There is a lot of information you need to gather before generating the CD. The positions of icons on the CD, type and creator codes for the files, and probably some other stuff. If you're really interested in making a CD for Macs that will be read under pre MacOS X, just use a Mac.

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/hybrid-cd.html
The utility mkhybrid lets you create hybrid CDs that work with all three filesystems.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...-Writing-HOWTO
For HFS CD-ROMS used on the Macintosh, you better read the man-page of mkisofs' bigger sister mkhybrid for details on various options.

Good Luck