LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
ematrixxx

Rep: Reputation: 15
Please help with wireless

I have a linksys WUSB11 2.6 wireless internet connection. I want to use it on my laptop that i put slackware 9.0 on. I am a complete linux newbie, can anyone tell me what to do ? I am totally confused if there are even drivers for this ...

Thankyou so much !

Ematrixxx

Old 08-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
Rodrin

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 31
You can take a look here
http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net
which is the driver I use for my pcmcia card on my laptop (Belkin F5D6020 ver. 2; version 1 is an entirely different chipset with great Linux support, which is what I thought I was getting), but is also supposed to support some of the USB devices based on this chipset family. You can also look here
http://at76c503a.berlios.de/
which supports some devices that the other driver doesn't (at least not any longer). Neither driver is supposed to be terribly mature. When I first tried the "stable" version of the first driver for my laptop, it didn't work right, but then I tried the then latest snapshot, and it has worked great for what I need at my house.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
leeman_s

I used your second link.

Now here is my problem:

I use DHCP. When DHCP runs though, I think it's trying to use eth0 instead of wlan0 which I created for the wireless card.

1) How can I change what interface /sbin/dhcpcd goes out through?

2) When I created wlan0, I typed: iwconfig wlan0 channel 1 essid leeman. The channel and essid were just random things. I have no idea if that makes a difference. Will that make a difference?

3) I do lsmod and everything is good there as far as I know, I see the mod running for the wireless driver.

4) When I try to add entries to the routing table for wlan0, it says "Network unreachable" even if I put 'dev wlan0' at the end of the command ie route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0 that way it doesn't try and use eth0.

5) When I type iwconfig and look at wlan0, it shows the same results I get when I type ifconfig eth0 when there is no network cable plugged into the card...it seems as if it's still not detecting the wireless card correctly...or something. Any ideas here?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

btw, the original poster of this: Any luck?

Old 08-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
leeman_s

Please, anybody?

Old 08-03-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
leeman_s

And I know the Access Point address is wrong, but I can't change it:

iwconfig wlan0 ap <AP ADDRESS> and it says Operation not supported