LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
rciren
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
redhat 9 asus p4pe- no sound- how to fix?

I just installed RH9 (my first Linux install). I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard. After tussling with my on-board NIC, it is now time to configure sound.

When I run the sound card detection, I get:

Vendor: Intel Corp
Model: 82801DB AC'97 Audio
Module: disabled

Then I am told that the " disabled driver could not be loaded. This sound card may not be compatible with Linux."

What is going on? Is there a way to enable the sound card? Do I need a new RPM file to install a new driver? The ASUS web site is not very helpful.

Old 07-19-2003, 06:25 AM   #2
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 72
As far as I can tell, that's the same output I got off of an lspci from a friend's p4p deluxe, which is just another i810_audio module card:

/sbin/modprobe i810_audio

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 09-19-2003, 01:05 PM   #3
jackstoage

Rep: Reputation: 15
Module: Disabled

I am having the identical problem in RH9 as rciren though with a creative labs Ensonique (sp) soundcard that is on the list of supported cards for v9! Version 9 doesn't recognize my NIC exist either (also on the list of supported NICs). I read at a similar forum that a BIOS setting of PnP OS installed may be the problem. Haven't tryed it yet. An install of rh8 on another computer had none of these proplems. An install of same rh8 on the offending computer has the same proplems so it seems like a problem with this PC. What's your take? Sorry I am not where I can send lsmod output or other info.

jack

Old 09-21-2003, 02:13 PM   #4
jackstoage

Rep: Reputation: 15
no sound

in your bios, set "PnP OS" to no. or whatever is equivalent. this won't effect windows in a dual boot. I received the same error and my NIC would not mount either until I did this. then everything mounted great on my next boot.