LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
Elemental
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Lindows 4.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Smile Newbie ... APM Help?

I have been using the likes of Windows, for a good 6 or 7 years, and have on various occasions tried a few Linux Distributions. All of which, ended up with me having no luck whatsoever. Here's the problem that I used to have: as there is more than one PC in my house, I have a 1Mb/s Cable Broadband connection going into a Windows XP machine.

When using RedHat or Mandrake, I couldn't use that connection at all through normal Ethernet, let alone start considering Wireless. I have recently downloaded LindowsOS 4, and I'm over the moon with it. 400Mb download, 5 or 6 minutes to install and setup, and here I am after using it for around 8 hours. I now have full access to the Internet, through Wireless, connecting to a Windows XP machine, and using normal Microsoft ICS. It's great.

One problem ... I'm running it on my laptop, and the APM (Advanced Power Management?) isn't running. When I'm not plugged into the mains, I'm running blind as to how long I have before my laptop shuts down on itself, without warning. How do I go about changing this? Preferably easy to follow step-by-step instructions, as I've never compiled/installed new software.

Thanks for any help in advance,
E

Old 07-07-2003, 02:34 PM   #2
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
All I can say is good luck, there's not too
many Lindows users here... and since things
like that are quite distro-dependent (ie, which
startup-system you're using, BSD or SysV)...

Cheers,
Tink

Old 07-07-2003, 07:35 PM   #3
JayCnrs

Distribution: Suse 9.3 Pro

Rep: Reputation: 30
I don't know about Lindows, but maybe look for a Menu item that allows you to change your services, you may get lucky, when I tried Mandrake 9.1 they already had ACPI compiled into the kernel and you could turn it on in the Services Menu, maybe on the off chance Lindows will have included something like that in their kernel.

Good Luck

Old 07-07-2003, 10:03 PM   #4
BigNate

Distribution: Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat/CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hello Elemental. Well as a new user I let this one slide but in the future do a little on-line research. In less than 1 min I had an x program d/l ready to go to my machine that would monitor my bat status...except I don't use Lindows. I went to www.lindows.com and in the search feild I put apm I got this page: http://www.lindows.com/lindows_produ...rch.php?q=apm. I think you will find what you are looking for here. Good Luck and welcome to linux!