LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
deadseasquirrel
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 15
"View Recent Posts" option wanted

I know I posted this a couple of days ago. But what I would really love to see on this forum is a way to view your recent posts, and also have that page display whether or not new posts have been made since you last visited.

I know everybody is telling me there is a way to see your recent posts, by going to a search for posted started by yourself, or going to User CP (though I haven't figured out how that one works yet). But still, every time you respond to the thread again, it takes you to a page where you can't easily get back to the screen that has all the threads started by you -- other than "Back, Back, Back, Back." And that ofcourse runs through your thread editing screen and everything. Not very clean.

I think it would be a great option. I'm on a bunch of different forums and they all have this feature in on context or another, and I think it is great. If anybody else agrees, please express your thoughts.

Old 04-22-2003, 10:40 PM   #2
2damncommon

Distribution: PCLINUXOS

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
I find it very easy to both view recent threads and posts I have made.
My only complaint is not LinuxQuestions fault.
If I happen to browse to a page or two after not visiting the site for a week, the recent threads shows a very small number of "new" threads instead of a more accurate large number of "new" threads. Unfortunately I understand why this is, and it is my fault.
I mention this only because I prefer browsing "new threads" for the entire forum rather than ducking in and out of forums.

Old 04-22-2003, 10:55 PM   #3
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Couldn't you have at least kept this within your existing thread covering this same topic. And your up to 9 total posts now, is it that hard to search for all of your posts? Comeon, there are so many ways to search for your own threads, what is wrong with the way we have it now?

Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 AM   #4
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080Reputation: 4080
deadseasquirrel,

If I am understanding you correctly you can already do this. Under any of your posts click the search button. If you choose to subscribe to threads you can also go to your MyLQ page.

--jeremy

Old 04-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
deadseasquirrel
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Well just because it "works" the way it is, or that people have gotten used to it, doesn't mean it can't be improved. My initial reaction to this, is that people seem a little defensive already because I'm criticizing "their" forum. My original point about having a button on the top of every page that brings you back to your most recent posts, still, I believe, is a good idea. I use other forums that do that, and I really find it beneficial. Obviously, I'm able to navigate my way to my recent posts, as I am doing it now. I'm simply stating what I think would be a better option -- a one click option. Ok begin the flames about how there's "no difference between one click, and 3 clicks" or whatever, but that is just rationalizing...there is. Take my suggestions for what it's worth, it's perfectly within the rights of this domain hoster to keep it as is, but improvements are always nice.

Old 04-23-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
you really seem to be blowing this out of the water... no one is criticising anyone in the slightest, we're just trying to work out what you mean, and what is wrong with the current system... calm down bud.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:00 PM   #7
deadseasquirrel
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I don't think intonation comes through in text well. But I'm fine with the responses. I just figured this was where to put suggestions to improve the forum. But note taken.