LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2003, 07:17 PM   #1
nokiaxv2
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
CD Won't boot and USB Floppy...

I have an HP Pavilion ZT1150 notebook. Although the cdrom drive is considered built in, I don't think it supports whatever booting system the slackware 8.1 and up CD's use. I downloaded and burned an slackware 8.0 cd the other day and it boots with no problems.

Anyway, I gave the Floppy disks a try...when I try and use that sbootmgr, it just sits there, non responsive. Then when I use the bare.i boot disk, to load the two install disks afterwards, it gets to the prompt that asks sme to pass any more parameters to the kernel of I wanted to or just press enter to continue, telling me not to remove any disks yet. Well it continues to load, probing things here and there...then I receive this error of some sort:
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-2, errno = 2
VFS: Insert root floppy disk to be loaded into RAM disk and press enter
When i swap the bare.i disk for the install.1 disk and press enter it doesn't even check the floppy drive and then says this:
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
After doing this it finally says:
Cannot open root device "fd0u1440" or 02:00
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:00

Now, each of these floppies and CD's work well on my desktops and my notebook does boot other cd's...I'm at a loss for thoughts here. Any advice? Seems I need floppies to do anything without the cd...Thanks in advance

Old 04-04-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
Excalibur

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 46
Since you have tried all the normal procdures, then only the abnormal are left. Let me ask if you plan on this notebook being multi-boot? Or is the entire machine dedicate to the Slack install? If not, then please post desired config so we would now what requirements you expect / desire.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:00 PM   #3
nokiaxv2
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by Excalibur
Since you have tried all the normal procdures, then only the abnormal are left. Let me ask if you plan on this notebook being multi-boot? Or is the entire machine dedicate to the Slack install? If not, then please post desired config so we would now what requirements you expect / desire.
I appreciate the quick response...I'd like to devote the notebook solely (stupid typos) to slackware...

Last edited by nokiaxv2; 04-04-2003 at 09:03 PM.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
doublefailure

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
i've never encountered that harsh problem
it's just my thought

if the laptop has windows on it
without going through floppy
with copying install cd to windows partition(fat32)
and boot with boot disk and specify the partition as the source directory?

wouldn't it work?

Old 04-04-2003, 11:13 PM   #5
nokiaxv2
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
interesting

Hey, I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.

If you have AOL Instant messenger, could you IM me on Abercrombierep7 or if you have MSN Messenger could you add Nokiaxv2@hotmail.com to your list?

Thanks,

But basically, you're saying to boot into windows, copy the entire cd (not ISO Image) to the drive, use the boot disk and when it asks about additional parameters just say, " root /dev/hda7" if thats the partition with the CD copied to it? I'm not really sure that would work though, but if this is what you mean, i'd have to install windows back on the notebook, then do what you said.

Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2003, 12:24 AM   #6
DaOne

Distribution: Slackware

Is the CD bootable? Can you boot from the CD? If you were to re-load Windows, how would you boot? Maybe I am missing something???

Old 04-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #7
doublefailure

Distribution: slackware

yeah pretty much

just setup another partition(D drive) only for the slack
and direct installer to the partition
instead of cdrom

that's my thought

Old 04-05-2003, 06:40 PM   #8
Excalibur

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 46
Well, I wish I could offer something better than this, but maybe some others may be able to offer something more elegant. Eveything I tried didn't work. Suggest at least to attempt the following.

Download both the Linux and DOS smart boot manger from http://btmgr.sourceforge.net and store on a floppy disk.
Boot 8.0 CD to provide a base OS to work from.
Install Smart boot manager to the mbr of the hard disk.
If you are unable to mount the USB floppy under Slack 8.0 then I suggest try using a DOS disk to boot, even just a Win98 CD or something. You may need to create small DOS partition to work from. But it can be deleted later. Again install SBM to the mbr of the hard disk.
Then reboot. You may even want to remove the USB floppy drive in case that was giving a problem when booting SBM from a floppy disk.
If smart boot manager boots and offers to boot the CD then do it and proceed with install. Sometimes SBM will report the drive not ready on the first or second attempt. But it almost always works by the third attempt. I think it has to do with the delay of the CD drive coming ready.

If this works then I suggest leaving smart boot manager on the hard disk. Creating partition 1 as bootable and install lilo there on hda1. I had an old notebook that I installed it on, because the BIOS did not support booting any CD's. The boot manager can be set to default to any device in the list after say five seconds and allows booting any readable partiton if you want a mutliboot config. Then set lilo to no delay. This would allow you the option to boot the CD if you need to recover from something in the future.

Hope it helps. As a last resort you might want to see how difficult it is to remove the hard disk. Install the hd in another system to setup the base system and insure that it boots, then reinstall in the notebook. This requires a 3.5" to 2.5" IDE adapter.

I'll post back if I can think of anything else.