LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
jimothygu
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Redhat Psyche is slow

Hi, I just had a quick question about Redhat. I'm really new to linux, I'm pretty much forced to use windows because of work; but I had an old 666mhz computer so I decided to slap a copy of linux on and play around with it. It seems great, except that some things are just SO slow. When I click the mozilla button in the taskbar it take up to 5 seconds for the window to show up. Also the OpenOffice takes up to 10 seconds to load. I don't think it's because of a lack of RAM, I've got 384mb in it.

The console seems very quick, although I haven't used it much because of lack of knowledge, but I'm wondering if it's just a GUI thing or if it's maybe a Redhat issue. During the installation psyche seemed to recognize my hardware pretty well, so I haven't messed around with any of the settings (not that I know how to), but should I? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Old 03-04-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Crashed_Again

Distribution: Ubuntu & Arch

Rep: Reputation: 57
What window manager are you using? Are you using KDE? Its a bit slow in my opinion as well. You may want to try something like fluxbox or blackbox which are much quicker. Also try to shut off all services you are not using because they can eat up your processor and ram.

Old 03-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #3
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
I would think that 10 seconds on a ~ 600 box is
quick for office :}

The big difference to MS products is that in Linux
they don't "preload" all their shared libraries during
system startup... just for good measure: my compaq
1.6GHz boots win2k in 2.5 minutes, and I can run
Word more or less instantaneously (2 seconds?)
Linux on the same box boots in 35 seconds, and
open office starts in about 13 ... still way faster over-all ;)

What I'm trying to point out is that MS preloads all
the crap one might want to run during boot. In Linux
software doesn't do that ... so you're kind of comparing
baboons to oranges.

Mozilla is a fat bitch :) Use opera if you find it too
slow, or Konqueror if in KDE ...

Cheers,
Tink

Old 03-04-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
punt

Distribution: Fedora 22

Rep: Reputation: 30
actually, i am experiencing the same issue. i upgraded to 8.0 from 7.3. things are taking forever to load. if i click on a terminal icon on the panel, i have to wait 15 seconds or so before i can actually type anything into it...

the GUI definitely slows things down, that is for sure.

Old 03-04-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
Punt,

that's certainly *not* the same thing.... 15 seconds
for terminal is -admittedly- screwed up ;) ...

His "problem" is something totally different, though.

Cheers,
Tink

Old 03-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #6
punt

Distribution: Fedora 22

Rep: Reputation: 30
hm. i think i'm getting closer and closer to needing a reformat each day i have so many things i need to back up though and no desire... oh well

Old 03-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
jimothygu
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat 8

Original Poster
hrm

Well i suppose not preloading things into memory could be my problem. Do you think that would affect my web or mailserver that is running on that box? Should i maybe switch to a different kind of linux, like Slackware or something? I just want things to be nice and quick for mail\ftp\web. Also, do you know of a good FAQ for compiling programs and what not, because I'm totally lost when it comes to that. Thanks again.

Jim

Old 03-04-2003, 10:52 PM   #8
XxAndyxX

Distribution: RedHat 8.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
I have also noticed that my new RH 8 box is going slow in like opening the browser etc..., but as your question about will it slow the server down... I am running Samba, and and FTP server which haven't slowed down a bit in my opinion.

Usually the programs have a INSTALL file in them which you can read and they will help you build, or compile

Old 05-12-2003, 12:04 PM   #9
scagnetti
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat 7.3

I have been using Redhat 7.3 for a while. A friend of mine bought a new dell server loaded with Redhat 8.0. I was helping him install Qmail and noticed his GUI is VEEERY slow. He is running 2Ghz, but it takes like 15 seconds to open up a terminal window. Things outside of the GUI seem normal, though. I was going to have him downgrade to Redhat 7.3 before any critical data gets stored on their. If anyone knows of a way to tweak the GUI in RH8.0, please let us know.