LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris
User Name
Password
Solaris / OpenSolaris This forum is for the discussion of Solaris, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, and illumos.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here. Any Solaris fork or distribution is welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2003, 12:54 AM   #1
moeminhtun

Distribution: Fedora Core 6

Rep: Reputation: 30
Solaris on Intel peformance

I like to know the stability and performance of the Solaris on Intel platform.
And how about compare with Linux?

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Your going to have stability and performance. Though I would highly recommend at least 500mhz with 128 MB of ram or higher on either for the best performance.

The one thing about Solaris is that it is a beast though from what I've dealt with. With a GUI it can seem a bit slower than lets say Linux or Windows on a Intel machine but it can be very solid though.

To me though, Sun works best on its own Sun architecture, if you can somehow obtain a Sun Sparc or any other, you'd probably see better performance and such.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 AM   #3
moeminhtun

Distribution: Fedora Core 6

Original Poster
yeah!! i've worked on the solaris on Sparc platform before. It's damned solid and stable. I like it very much.
I want to get one but don't have enought money yet.

Old 01-13-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
jdc2048

Distribution: Redhat, Gentoo, Solaris, HP-UX, etc...

It also depends on which version you are running. Solaris 7 was a bad
release in terms of performance, even on a Sparc architecture it was a
hog. (mostly referring to the CDE GUI here)

Solaris 8 took care of that with many changes to how it handle resources.
I have to admit though, the java-based SMC on Solaris 8 x86 is still a pig,
but that is a problem with java, not Solaris.

Old 01-13-2003, 08:57 PM   #5
stickman

Rep: Reputation: 53
Solaris 7 had its problems on the Sparc platform because it was the release that transitioned from 32 to 64 bit code. Solaris 8 is very stable, and the performance is great once you tune it from the default install. A few IO tweaks in the startup scripts fix help quite a bit.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:17 AM   #6
sock
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Solaris ;)

Rep: Reputation: 0
If you can afford Solaris/Intel, why not...

... buy a Solaris Ultra 1, Ultra 10 or Ultra 30 from http://www.anysystem.com/

No, I don't work for them. But I purchased an Ultra30 (well, 3) from them and I've been EXTREMELY satisfied with what I got. Though you may want to add in a Solaris 9 package, because their install was a little wierd. But I highly recommend this if you want to learn the Solaris platform.

Old 01-14-2003, 07:25 PM   #7
jdc2048

I bought a Ultra 5 from E-bay for less than 400 USD and it has been running like a champ. You can download Solaris 9 from Sun for free (sparc only).

Old 01-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #8
mcleodnine

Distribution: s l a c k w a r e

Rep: Reputation: 45
jdc - Just curious, what are you using the Ultra 5 for? Do you notice any appreciable difference from a current off-the-shelf Intel/AMD box?

Old 01-14-2003, 08:32 PM   #9
jdc2048

I needed the system for research. I was going to write a book on Solaris last year and needed this system for that purpose. The book deal fell through and now I just use it for training.

I have found it to be a decent system regardless. I was using my PC at home to run Solaris 8 and had so many issues with hardware compatibility. It is nice to not have to worry about that with the Ultra 5. It is also uses an IDE hard drive, so I can add more space to it without the $$$ associated with SCSI.

Old 01-31-2003, 07:01 AM   #10
atomicpunk
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Don't buy into the myth that Solaris x86 isn't as fast or scalable as Solaris Sparc. I've used both extensively for 6 years now, including deploying several production sites on Solaris x86.

No, I don't deploy a terrabyte Oracle database on a 486, but if you apply common sense, you'll find Solaris x86 does an excellent job.

The reputation for poor performance comes from the fact that X is dog slow even on extremely fast hardware. Solaris isn't much of a workstation OS compared to Linux, but if you need a solid Java machine, it can't be beat, period.