LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2002, 08:54 PM   #1
yawara
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Installing WPC11 v3 on Linux Mandrake 9

Hi guys, I'm trying to install my Linksys WPC11v.3 .0 wireless lancard on a Linux Mandrake 9 I can't build the source. Can someone help me. I also don't know where to get the source for my kernel 2.4.19-16mdk, and I'm not familiar with this kernel version, can I replace my kernel with a 2.4.29 or a 2.4.20. Thanks

Old 12-17-2002, 06:22 AM   #2
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 72
There is a kernel module already on board that should drive the WPC v3 alright... it just takes a patch to get cardmgr to bind the orinoco_cs module to the card. If you copy this:

http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dld...ng/hermes.conf

to /etc/pcmcia

and then restart pcmcia, it should load the module (two high pitched matching beeps). If not, post back here and there are some threads in the forum where people have hacked up hermes.conf into working...

If you get impatient for my reply, all tomorrow is going to involve LOTR prep, search here by "wireless and WPC11" and you'll find one of them.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 12-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #3
yawara
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi, I copied the hermes.conf file to /etc/pcmcia and then I stopped and restarted the pcmcia service, I got this message:

Shutting down PCMCIA services: done
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[3068]: error in the file '/hermes.conf line 1:syntax error
cardmgr[3391]: watching 1 sockets
done.

Syntax error in line 1? Seems ok to me. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Old 12-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #4
yawara
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Just to update you this thread, everything is working ok now. My wpc 11 v 3 is now working under my Mandrake v 9.0. When I encountered the error I mentioned before I modified the hermes.conf file and added the ff:

card "Instant Wireless Network PC Card"
manfid 0x0274,0x1613
bind "orinoco_cs"

This is from another thread I found when I search for wpc11

Thanks

Old 01-29-2003, 11:47 PM   #5
Belanth
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hermes.conf

When I restarted the pcmcia service (in mandrake control center, system, services for Mandrake Linux 9 users), I was initially unable to get the card to detect.

A little command line check revealed that the hermes.conf file had a small typo in it. On line 88 of the file, which is the one that it needed in my case, the word 'card' was typed 'case'. if you fix that typo, then restart the service, the module runs just fine. :-)

Derek

Old 03-08-2003, 01:35 AM   #6
JonBoy69
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 8.1

Quote:
Originally posted by finegan
There is a kernel module already on board that should drive the WPC v3 alright... it just takes a patch to get cardmgr to bind the orinoco_cs module to the card. If you copy this:

http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dld...ng/hermes.conf

to /etc/pcmcia

and then restart pcmcia, it should load the module (two high pitched matching beeps). If not, post back here and there are some threads in the forum where people have hacked up hermes.conf into working...

If you get impatient for my reply, all tomorrow is going to involve LOTR prep, search here by "wireless and WPC11" and you'll find one of them.

Cheers,

Finegan
Just thought I would add to this stating that this file does work in Slackware 8.1. The only other thing I had to do to get the card to pull an IP was go into /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and change my ssid. Now, to get WEP working.

Old 03-10-2003, 03:17 AM   #7
computx
LQ Newbie

Distribution: gentoo, mandrake

wpc11 losing config

Hi, I am using a wcp11 on a toshiba laptop running mandrake 9. I too am using the orinoco driver. Has anyone else noticed a problem with the card losing its connection? It happens fairly often. I can always get it running again by doing
iwpriv eth1 force_reset
but would like to find a fix if possible. It is the wpc11 ver 3

Old 03-10-2003, 03:23 AM   #8
Belanth
LQ Newbie

Unfortunately, this is a known issue. If you go to the link that JonBoy69 shows up above, and go up a couple of directory levels, you get some info about that being something involving a firmware comunication problem that they are working on. :-\ Hope they can solve it soon.

Old 03-10-2003, 03:29 AM   #9
computx
LQ Newbie

Distribution: gentoo, mandrake

Thanks for the quick reply. At least I know now that it's a known bug and others are sharing my misery ;-)

Old 03-10-2003, 07:40 AM   #10
Belanth
LQ Newbie

No problem. :-)

Old 03-10-2003, 10:27 AM   #11
finegan
LQ Guru

Re: wpc11 losing config

Quote:
Originally posted by computx
Hi, I am using a wcp11 on a toshiba laptop running mandrake 9. I too am using the orinoco driver. Has anyone else noticed a problem with the card losing its connection? It happens fairly often. I can always get it running again by doing
iwpriv eth1 force_reset
but would like to find a fix if possible. It is the wpc11 ver 3
Its been worked around for the most part in software. The orinoco driver v.13 is much better with the prism2 v.3 chipsets than the 11b that is currently kernel stock.

http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 08-25-2003, 09:53 PM   #12
xeristian/null
LQ Newbie

WPC-11

I am using a Sony Vaio FRV-27, with all the defaults. I have a LinkSys Wireless B WPC-11 adaptor. It works in windows beautifully, but I can't get any dists I've tried to work with it natively... or even bothered to really get it working at all.

I copy the hermes.conf to /etc/pcmcia, it wasn't easy... I copied it from WXP and it appeared to be an executable, thanks to the mounting scheme. I copied the contents into a new hermes.conf file and it appeared normal. I restart, but I don't hear the two reports when the service begins, or whenever I restart it. I look through the /var/log/messages and see something about a trident driver, though I'm fairly certain that my PCMCIA controller nor my PCMCIA card have anything to do with Trident. I can post the comment if anyone who replies thinks it might help. I'm sure that the solution is very simple, looking at the rest of this thread.

I'm using Mandrake 9.1, I believe, default client side installation.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #13
finegan
LQ Guru

xeristian/null,

You might have the version 4 of this card, which is an entirely different chipset then the others... If the output of the following mentions the rtl 8180, you've got the version 4 card, if it mentions Harris Prism, you've got a 3 and there's something else wrong, which is annoying...

Post back with what you've got

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 08-26-2003, 12:36 AM   #14
xeristian/null
LQ Newbie

You're right, this is a very version 4 of the card, it says so on the bottom. Any tips now?

Old 08-26-2003, 01:34 AM   #15
finegan
LQ Guru

Join in the thread with all of the fun... or really, take a look at it and try from start. The realtek drivers are available from their website, www.realtek.com.tw, post in that thread if you get stuck:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=61832

Cheers,

Finegan