LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2002, 08:35 AM   #1
peeples

Distribution: tried a lot of 'em, now using kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Problems with libraries

I have LFS4.0 on a stand-alone system ( I deleted my base distro). I am slugging my way through the parts of BLFS that I want to install and am running into weird problems, to wit:

1) I have installed libjpeg6b (as per BLFS instructions), however, every program that I install says "checking for libjpeg6b... no". I know that the libraries are there. I have added the directory to ld.so.conf. I have run ldconfig as root. Why is configure not finding it?

2) I am trying to install KDE. Got artsd installed. Then moved on to kdelibs. It, too, cannot find libjpeg6b, but then it says that qt is not installed. I KNOW that qt is installed (as per BLFS instructions), I even went to the directory that qt is in and ran designer. It DID start. $QTDIR is set correctly in my ~/.bash_profile, and $QTDIR/bin is in my path. The library path is set in ld.so.conf (/opt/qt/lib/). Any ideas?

3) So, I said enough of this for now, let's go get a game and have a little fun. I downloaded cube (FPS), and found that I needed SDL libraries. I downloaded it, installed it, and tried to install cube again. It said that I needed SDL_image. I finally found it, installed it (no apparent errors). Tried to install cube again, it STILL says that I need SDL_image. SDL has been installing libraries in /usr/local/lib, and that is in ld.so.conf. I have run ldconfig. What is making all of these libraries invisible to "configure"?

Old 12-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #2
peeples

Original Poster
Another piece to the puzzle:

I went into my .bash_profile and added all of the directories that were in ld.so.conf into the LD_LIBRARY_PATH . Problem #3 went away (well, at least it went further before it bombed out).

Problem #2 also went away after doing this.

Why would my system require the library directories to be in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH instead of reading them from ld.so.conf? I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:blah:blah:blah.

Any ideas?

Last edited by peeples; 12-13-2002 at 07:41 PM.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:14 AM   #3
Baloo

Distribution: LFS

Rep: Reputation: 15
You did do a ldconfig after the install didn't you?

Old 12-17-2002, 09:24 AM   #4
Bert

Distribution: GNU/Linux Slackware 8.1, Redhat 8.0, LFS 4.0

Rep: Reputation: 46
Looking for all of those libraries is such a pain, so let your system do it for you:

find /usr -name lib >> /etc/ld.so.conf&
/sbin/ldconfig

This will at least make sure that all the shared libraries on your system are visible.

Bert

Old 12-18-2002, 10:31 AM   #5
peeples

Original Poster
Baloo: yep. Did the ldconfig thing as root.

Bert: that's cool. But the problem remains, that until I put the directories into .bash_profile as an entry in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, the system doesn't see them. However, tonight I will comment out the LD_LIBR... line, and see if the system will work correctly with just the /etc/ld.so.conf I mean, it's working now, but everytime I need to add a directory to ld.so.conf, I have to remember to add it to the .bash_profile, too.

Old 01-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #6
Pwcca

Distribution: Slackware

I think i am having a similar problem with libraries. I compile and install them, but ./configure doesnt seem to recognize them. I check paths in ld.so.conifg but no help. I run ldconfig, but no help.

How do you specify them in .bash_profile or etc/profile (as in my case with slackware)?

Old 01-21-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Martin37
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I think that "configure" looks at predetermined places for what it is searching for without caring much of the LD_PATH so for example it is easier to use export before ./configure to tell the program where are somme libraries especially when they are not in/lib /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib. For example with qt in /opt/lib/qt I would do the following for kdelibs:

tar xfvj kdelibs-3.1.tar.bz2
mv kdelibs-3.1
export QTDIR=/opt/lib/qt and then
./configure

sometimes you need to export the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS otherwise they wont be considered if they are only in the .bash_profile....
for some programs where there is no configure you have to take a look at the Makefile and edit it if the path they assume for certains libraries or programs don't correspond to your installation.....

Old 01-21-2003, 04:21 PM   #8
PTBmilo

I've had a similar problem before. It came about because I installed some libraries into /usr/local. I ended up re-installing them, but someone also suggested to me that I export some ldflags before I run configure:

export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"

I think that this was the command, but since I've never really played around w/ compiler opt's (and I'm at school) I can't verify that for you.

Just something to try if you're still stuck.