LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
shukla_chanchal

Rep: Reputation: 15
deep desire

hi
i think we need a great desire to make this website ideal place for linux beginners and gurus

it will be done only if we make this forums standard by regular monitoring of messages

thanks

Old 10-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Re: deep desire

Quote:
Originally posted by shukla_chanchal
hi
i think we need a great desire to make this website ideal place for linux beginners and gurus

it will be done only if we make this forums standard by regular monitoring of messages

thanks
Errmm, the forums are regularly monitored by moderators on a daily consistent basis. Also members can help out by reporting posts they find breaking any of the rules or policies we have in place to notify a particular moderator of that forum to take action if necessary.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
Charred

Distribution: Slackware 11

Rep: Reputation: 30
Perhaps you'd like to browse the forums before you criticize?

Old 10-28-2005, 02:52 AM   #4
shukla_chanchal

Original Poster
i have visited the site

wel i dont know why u said so but i have already visited yr website

and i am lready member of different sites and forum

so i think it was my view points that the things must be implimented with strictness

thanks

Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 AM   #5
Dtsazza

Distribution: Debian Etch (w/ dual-boot XP for gaming)

Rep: Reputation: 31
/me ducks and suits up before the inevitable flamewar...

Do you have any specific suggestions or examples of what you're suggesting?

Old 10-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #6
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Right now, we have 201,977members (and rising), I am pretty sure that a large percentage of us are on the site 24/7 overall. The mods are also on pretty much 24/7 and Jeremy (the site owner) is usually on every night.

We have the 0 replies email and people regularly check it. Where do you think we are falling down?

Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Charred

Distribution: Slackware 11

Quote:
Originally posted by Dtsazza
/me ducks and suits up before the inevitable flamewar...
IMHO, people here don't get into flamewars as quickly as on other sites. Since I joined here, I've only had to grab my bunker gear once, and it was my own stupid fault, so I apologized.

jeremy and the mods are sincerely interested in improving the site, as are the majority of its members. People are allowed to have their own opinions here.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
shukla_chanchal

Original Poster
ya i have a specific suggestion

1.you must guide properly the linux newbies by filling some form or so ..so that they can be helped............because its really hard to attract new ones on linux ...is not it

2.there must be a list which guides user where to get more info...it must be on the same time when user sends a question

3.the good questions must be ranked...........so that a new person read them in short time

4.there must be a reward for those who reply mails regularly and post mail s regularly

Old 11-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
1. This is an extremely fast growing site - 192 people registered in the last 24 hours. And that's on a slow day. I don't think attracting new members is really an issue for us. And we have over 200,000 members registered here.

2. When you post a question, there is a lrge button with the legend "Has this been asked before?" which will search using your thread title. More people need to use it. We also have the Wiki and the Tutorial section.

3. All threads can be ranked by users. Bottom middle of every thread is a dropdown menu entitled "Rate this thread".

4. Regular posters do get a prize - the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that they have helped someone out of a situation for no money and no reason other than it helps the community.

Addition - but the rating does not show up on the boards. That function was removed because not enough people used it to make it meaningful.

The message here is that WE, the users, are the ones that make this board what it is.

Last edited by XavierP; 11-03-2005 at 06:09 PM.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
mimithebrain

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

I think the forum is really nice, I learn something everyday, and it's *teh* nicest online place where I get the most answers for my linux problems.

The moderators are at their job most of the time IMHO. They are nice little RSS feeds (which I LOVE! thanks Jeremy ) , that help mods and users to answer the questions reaally fast.

I have no critisim . Whatever they are doing, at 200 000 + users, they are doing it right.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
LinuxLala

Distribution: Fedora 7

Rep: Reputation: 45
Everything at LQ works great! There i the excellent review section, the cool Hardware list, the wiki, bookmarks, forums everything.

There is no point questioning the effort put into LQ by the moderators, Jeremy or the members.

As far as users being guided to a list of good informative sites: there are plenty of links all around LQ. You find even more links through the signatures of some of the members.

As far as being rewarded goes: is all this hoola-hoopla all about that? Being rewarded! If one does not feel warm and go to sleep better thinking how much of a service he has been to the community then there can be no "better/other" reward.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
mimithebrain

agreed.

but some people can't help themselves but to criticise.

like that guy...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...23#post1942023

Old 11-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #13
ctkroeker

Rep: Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally posted by mimithebrain
agreed.

but some people can't help themselves but to criticise.

like that guy...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...23#post1942023
He edited his post, there's just a there now.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #14
mimithebrain

Yeah, it's a shame, it's a shame...

The good side is that we got rid of another useless flame
the downside is that *now* that he understood, he feels sorry and decides to look good again by removing his flame.

I feel that those who post such comments should be punished by having the message left there for shame and as a reminder that thinking before flaming is always a good idea.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:34 AM   #15
LinuxLala

Distribution: Fedora 7

Rep: Reputation: 45
mimithebrain, if the fellow has learned his lessson and is moving on, we should do the same right?