LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
millz
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Samba and network problem

Hello

I have a network with a win2k server, that is being used as a dhcp server and active directory server and file server. The win2k server is the domain controller in the network and also has the directories and stuff I want to access from my linux computer.

In the network I have a router, another computer which runs winxp and last but not least my linux computer. For the winxp computer everything works fine, I get a dhcp offer with ip and i can access the domain and it's contence without problem. But when I get to the linux comp I run into trouble.
I am currently running Debian linux as a distribution and I have very little experience with linux. It has the newest samba as I understand it but I havnt made any configurations to it, other then adding the name of the domain. Well back to the issue, the linux computer also gets a dhcp offer and ip, gets access to the network and internet without a problem. I can also surf the network and see the other computers on the windows network (win2k and winxp comp). But when it comes to opening the contence of the computers and accessing its directories I run into bad user error. It says im the wrong user and that I have no permissions.

I have configured the users on the win2k server for domain, added the linux computer and everything. Tried to make a user on the win2k comp that was the same as my login for the linux comp but that failed aswell.

Somehow, somewhere I need to configure so my linux comp gets access to the windows domain, but I dont know where to start. I have tried to configure everything i can think of on the domain of win2k.

Please if you know what to do or where I could start looking for answers, reply to me!

I am so stuck and so newbie :-(

Regards,

Millz

Old 10-25-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
Chromezero

Distribution: Slackware, RHEL, others

Rep: Reputation: 40
I'm not real familiar with Samba, but I would suggest doing...
Code:
man samba
from the terminal. You'll need to configure this to work with your setup. Also, if your Win machines are formatted in NTFS, there's a good chance you're going to run into some problems. One last tip for ya, don't double post. People tend to frown upon that and are less likely to help you.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
KnightHawk

Rep: Reputation: 15
"smbmount"

is going to be the command you want to play with I'd imagine. And as that goes I'd recommend doing a "man smbmount" and thourghly reading thru it. Basically you need to figure out how to give smbmount your username and password for the windows shares/servers your trying to access. (should be easy)

Also there is another command

"smbclient"

That is good for browsing around a specific windows machine if for example your trying to figure out what shares you want to have for yourself.

And also the

"findsmb"

command will give you a listing of all the other smb servers on your network.