LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
philipmorgan
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
Fedora 2 can't detect PCMCIA Ethernet card

I have just acquired a PCMCIA Ethernet card - A 3com 3CCFE574BT. I have used this card successfully on the Win98 partition of my Compaq laptop to communciate to a 1Gbps microwave broadband connection. The broadband connection is via Sitecom router so the IP s dynamically assigned. I have Fedora 2 on the Linux partition, but it doesn't detect the ethernet card. I am a bit of a klutz on the hardware side, so I need some very basic introductory help to get this card going.

Many thanks

Philip

Old 09-15-2005, 02:40 AM   #2
philipmorgan
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Ethernet card now detected!!!

I've done some investigation and Fedora does recognise the Ethernet card. I can now sucessfully "ping" the router at 192.168.123.254. I now need to set up DHCP.

#dhclient
/sbin/dhclient-script: configuration for eth0 not found
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.123.254

According to Fedora 2 Unleashed, P. 402, the file /etc/dhcpd.conf needs editing. This file does not exist at present on my system and I can't make any sense out of /sbin/dhclient-script. But will continue to investigate .......

Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
AxXium
Zenwalk Admin

Distribution: Zenwalk Gnu/Linux

Rep: Reputation: 31
oops wrong forum

Last edited by AxXium; 09-15-2005 at 09:52 AM.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
farpoint

Distribution: Debian Sarge, Etch. FC1,2,3,4,5. Slackware 10.0. Gentoo. Kubuntu.

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hi Philip. I run FC1, 2, & 3 now, with no problems. I run my 2 machines through a Smoothwall firewall, so am not too familiar with your setup. Tell me. Does your router have an integrated firewall with IP Masquerading? Also which desktop are you using? KDE? If your router isn't capable of IP Masquerading you'll have to install a program on FC2 to handle that. What it does is to mask the IP address of the machine. Windows does this as part of the network setup. I'll send details of that if you need it on the FC2 install. Next. If you go to the main menu/system settings/network (you'll have to provide the root password to access the network setup interface) Under hardware you should find you're pcmcia Ethernet card listed. Under devices, click the edit menu. Here you should be able to set up dhcp, or if you so wish, as you only have one machine, setup a static address. Choose an IP address for the machine, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the gateway as the IP address you mentioned in your post. Back to the main menu under DNS, you'll need an address. If you don't know it, you should be able to find it in the network config of your Win 98. Post back if this is any help to you. Nigel. aka farpoint.

Incidentally. I hope you're not on AOL, as there is, or was no support from them for Linux, even though I believe there are some programs now to allow AOL to be used on Linux.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
philipmorgan
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi Nigel, thanks for your quick response.

From the router docs:

"This product�s NAT [IP table] firewall filters out unrecognized packets to protect your Intranet, so all hosts behind this product are invisible to the outside world. If you wish, you can make some of them accessible by enabling the Virtual Server Mapping."

However, the firewall has not caused any problems on my Win98 or XP laptops.

I have been following the guidelines produced by www.linuxhomenetworking.com/:

When DHCP starts, it reads the file /etc/dhcpd.conf. It uses the commands here to configure your network. The standard DHCP

RPM package doesn't automatically install a /etc/dhcpd.conf file, but you can find a sample copy of dhcpd.conf in the

following directory which you can always use as a guide.

Ok. Done

To get DHCP started:

1. Some older Fedora/RedHat versions of the DHCP server will fail unless there is an existing dhcpd.leases file. Use the

command touch /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases to create the file if it does not exist.

Ok. File already existed.

2. Use the chkconfig command to get DHCP configured to start at boot:

[root@bigboy tmp]# chkconfig dhcpd on

3. Use the service command to instruct the /etc/init.d/dhcpd script to start/stop/restart DHCP after booting

[root@bigboy tmp]# service dhcpd start

[root@bigboy tmp]# service dhcpd stop

[root@bigboy tmp]# service dhcpd restart

The problem with 2 and 3 is that there is no dhcpd script in /etc/init.d.

No, I am not using AOL. We have a 1Gbps microwave radio link with www.IrishBroadband.ie.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
farpoint

Hi Philip. I fully understand where you are going on this, but believe that you have an IP masquerading problem with your Linux install. Your router has a firewall builtin, but no doubt has no IP masquerading facility. Windows has this facility builtin, so commercial routers have no need to allow for it. I've just shut down my FC3 which was DLing 700MB+ of updates on dialup (I wish I had your connection) and booted up FC2. I've changed the network from static IP address to DHCP and it's got Internet connections like clockwork. My setup is 2 machines going through a Smoothwall Express 2 firewall. Basically this is a trimmed down linux installation with a firewall and IP masquerading on a dedicated machine. In my case an old 100MHz machine with 64MB ram and 2GHz harddrive. This is connected to the Internet by a serial modem. I'd suggest you get the following 2 apps. Guarddog, the firewall GUI. This is from http://www.simonzone.com . But get it from http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php37stat...ddog&srodzaj=3 . Simonzone does not have the rpm for FC2, only a source file. Then get from http://www.simonzone.com . Guidedog. This is the app for IP masquerading. This is a tar.gz file. To install the Guarddog rpm. As root, rpm -Uvh <filename) , presuming you have it in your home directory. To install the tar.gz for Guidedog. Presuming again that it's in the home direcory, as user type, tar xzvf <filename> . This will create a new directory. cd to this directory. Then type ./configure , after this stops type make. When this finishes su to root and type make install. You should then find both of these apps in the main menu. If Guidedog isn't there it's probably in /usr/local/bin . I'm using KDE,so using Menu Editor, (which on FC3 is in Main Menu/Preferences/More Preferences) on the menu choose new item. Type Guidedog in the name box. Click on the directory button on the command box and go to /usr/local/bin/guidedog if that's where it is, and select it. Back in menu editor, file, and save, and it should turn up on the main menu somewhere. Guarddog can be disabled for the time being as you have a firewall on the router. Guidedog needs the IP masquerading box checked. I'd suggest using the redhat network config tool in Main Menu/System Settings/Network. You can try DHCP after checking the IP masquerade box in Guidedog, or alternatively entering a static address, subnet mask, and gateway address. I apologise if I've told you a lot of stuff you already know. It's difficult to know how much folks know who post to the forums. Nigel. aka farpoint

Old 09-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #7
philipmorgan
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs up

Hi Nigel, thanks again for your very detailed response. Late last night, I was shuffling through the notes from my course on Linux. This is what I did:

I created the file, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:04:75:C7:4C:C7

I then established a DHCP lease:

/sbin/dhclient eth0

This returned the lease info. I then tried pinging my own website:

ping www.imageviewer.co.uk

I was amazed when the ping was successful. I went into an X session and started up Mozilla and here I was also able to connect to my site without problem. I am fan of internet radio, so I called up my own radio page, www.imageviewer.co.uk/panorama_radio_links.html, and clicked on the commedy channel, BBC7. I had installed Real Player some time ago, but never tested it streaming on Linux. Surprisingly, it worked just as well as the flashy Real Player 10 on my XP laptop. Even Evolution pop3 mail works. There is some funny in sendmail.cf as I can't send mail, so that will give me something to do tommorrow :-)

My kit consists of a Compaq Presario 1200 laptop, 440Hz Celeron, 64Mb. I had to buy a 128Mb memory module as there was not enough memory to run X Windows. I've only a 2.3Gb Linux partition, so I only have GNOME installed, but it seems perfectly adequate to me. My internet connection has a contention ratio of about 24, so it can be a bit flaky sometimes. But it can also download sometimes at amazing speeds. My Win98 needed Microsoft DirectX 9 for some reason. The file size was 10Mb and the download was completed in 3 minutes.

I don't think I have a masquarading problem with my router. If I had, I probably would not be able use Skype, the internet telephony service. But this works fine - the sound quality is excellent, and I can phone landline phones in most countries for just 0.017 euros per minute. According to Wikipedia: 'The other, technically simpler, form - also called NAT or "basic NAT" or "static NAT" - involves only address translation, not port mapping. This requires an external IP address for each simultaneous connection. Broadband routers often use this feature, sometimes labelled "DMZ host", to allow a designated computer to accept all external connections even when the router itself uses the only available external IP address.'

Old 09-16-2005, 06:42 AM   #8
farpoint

Hi Philip. I'm really glad you've got it all fixed, not that anthing I said helped. I remember the first time I got Linux online, it was nice knowing that I didn't have to use Windows anymore, with all the security issues. Can you post me the model of your Sitecom router, as I'd like to read up about it. I too listen to BBC7 which works fine, even on dial-up. The only problem I find is when using the listen again facility, which seems to require more bandwidth than the live stream. If you're downloading updates at the same time as using listen again you keep losing the stream. I've just been reading my Linux + study guide which confirms that most broadband routers support NAT (IP masquerading). I could have saved myself a lot of typing, and you, a lot of reading. All the best with you're Linux box online. Nigel. aka farpoint.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
philipmorgan
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Cool

Hi Nigel, I fixed the sendmail problem, but I don't really understand how. I had already added my UK email server in the SMART_HOST line in sendmail.mc, and m4'ed it. But, Evolution just hung up when sending mail. When the send was killed, the error message indicated it was looking for a local and not remote server. In the end, it seemed to be something to do with the last two lines in my .mc file:

MAILER(`smtp')dnl
MAILER(`procmail')dnl

which I changed to:

MAILER(`local')dnl
MAILER(`smtp')dnl

I don't know the explanation for this - I just copied it from a sendmail tutorial I found on www.sun.com. My next task is to install the Linux version of Skype VOIP. If I get it going, I'll post a message here.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #10
philipmorgan
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi Nigel, you asked for details of the Sitecom router which I forgot to mention in my last post:

Broadband xDSL / Cable Router DC-202v5

Just downloaded the rpm for Skype ...