LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
paul_mat

Distribution: Fedora Core 5, CentOS 4, RHEL 4

Rep: Reputation: 30
IMAP - delete after certain date

hi there,

i'm thinking about changing over my e-mail server to imap but the only problem i think i'll have is storage space on the server, so i'm thinking about setting it to delete e-mail after a set date, for instance, once every 6 months delete the e-mails from the last 6 months. can someone tell me if thats possible and how i would go about doing it?

Also side note:

i've just install mailman on my RHEL box, is there a way i could i go about sup-scribing everyone in a certain group to a mailing list?

Last edited by paul_mat; 07-31-2005 at 08:35 PM.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Noth

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 30
Doubful, putting that kind of policy in the server wouldn't be a good idea IMO. But you should be able to setup one of your clients to cleanup your mailbox for you.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
CroMagnon

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 33
I agree with Noth that this is not really a good idea... I think it will come back to haunt you later, unless you are 100% error-free as a human being

However, if you are dead set on it, you could create a fairly simple python script and set cron to run it. Just run through the mailbox and delete everything past a certain date. This would work well for a single user, or perhaps a handful of users, but not for a larger group (more maintenance when you add or remove mailboxes).