LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
logosys

Distribution: RHEL4 - ES

Rep: Reputation: 31
Screen Resolution - Driver Problems?

After trudging through the installation process, I have finally come to my familiar GNOME desktop with Debian sarge for AMD64. I have a problem, though, it seems that my screen is at an extremely low resolution (640x480 or 800x600, I can't tell which) I'm not sure if my device drivers are wrong or what - when given the option, i didn't see nvidia, so I chose the default 'vesa'. I have a Leadtek A180Bt - (GeFORCE MX4000 with 64MB DDR memory - AGP card) Now, my FC3 installation had no problems recognizing it and changing my screen resolution, but Debian doesn't much care for it. What should I do to fix my screen resolution? Thanks so much

Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
titanium_geek

Distribution: elementary os 5.1

Rep: Reputation: 50
Ah- the same problem bugged the heck out of me with debian. Here's how I fixed it (with the aid of awesome forum members and google):
dangit- I didn't write it down, and I'm away from my box. Well, from memory:
you need to find the x configure thingy. it's something like xfree86.conf or xorg.conf, and it's located in /etc/X11 . You will need to edit this file as root. Start at the bottom and scroll up until you find the stuff about monitors. The stuff you need to change is around here. you can change the refresh rates, sync rates, rez ? and all sorts of fun stuff. To avoid frying something, pull up your monitor specs on the web to make sure you don't give it something over it's capabilities.

I really apologise for rambling- something to point you in the right direction anyway. Look for one of my threads in this (debian) forum- I think I only have one I've started myself. I'll look at more specific instructions tommorow when I get back to my box.
Night!

titanium_geek

Old 07-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
logosys

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by titanium_geek
Ah- the same problem bugged the heck out of me with debian. Here's how I fixed it (with the aid of awesome forum members and google):
dangit- I didn't write it down, and I'm away from my box. Well, from memory:
you need to find the x configure thingy. it's something like xfree86.conf or xorg.conf, and it's located in /etc/X11 . You will need to edit this file as root. Start at the bottom and scroll up until you find the stuff about monitors. The stuff you need to change is around here. you can change the refresh rates, sync rates, rez ? and all sorts of fun stuff. To avoid frying something, pull up your monitor specs on the web to make sure you don't give it something over it's capabilities.

I really apologise for rambling- something to point you in the right direction anyway. Look for one of my threads in this (debian) forum- I think I only have one I've started myself. I'll look at more specific instructions tommorow when I get back to my box.
Night!

titanium_geek
I added the "1278x1024" resolution option to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, but it didn't help me any, the resolution is still not available...

Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
titanium_geek

Ok- I'm back- and I can help you.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=340315
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=338565
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=302569

steps comming... couple of hours.
titanium_geek

Old 07-22-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
bluetwist
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Try again logosys!

Hi, logosys
Did you try add appropriate vertical/horizontal sync value of your monitor in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
logosys

Original Poster
Re: Try again logosys!

Quote:
Originally posted by bluetwist
Hi, logosys
Did you try add appropriate vertical/horizontal sync value of your monitor in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ?

Thanks
sync is set correctly, still can't fix resolution =(

Old 07-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #7
titanium_geek

right. you can run
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
or go into /etc/X11 and edit the file XF86Config-4 .
After stuff about keyboard mouse and video card, you will come to a section called "Monitor" and a section called "Screen". Make sure that the HorizSync and the VertRefresh are correctly set. Under the section "Screen", Make sure the Default depth is something like 24 (or 32) - depending on your monitor.
See the Subsection "Display"? There will be a bunch, and find the one that is the default depth (for me, 24.) Modes - "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" put the highest one first.

Save and exit (if you made changes) and that should be it-

hope this helps.
titanium_geek

Old 07-23-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
logosys

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by titanium_geek
right. you can run
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
or go into /etc/X11 and edit the file XF86Config-4 .
After stuff about keyboard mouse and video card, you will come to a section called "Monitor" and a section called "Screen". Make sure that the HorizSync and the VertRefresh are correctly set. Under the section "Screen", Make sure the Default depth is something like 24 (or 32) - depending on your monitor.
See the Subsection "Display"? There will be a bunch, and find the one that is the default depth (for me, 24.) Modes - "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" put the highest one first.

Save and exit (if you made changes) and that should be it-

hope this helps.
titanium_geek
It's asking me for my video card's BUS identifier. I have an Nvidia GeFORCE MX4000 (made by Leadtek, don't laugh at my cheapie card) - what should I use? or how can i find out?

Old 07-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
logosys

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by logosys
It's asking me for my video card's BUS identifier. I have an Nvidia GeFORCE MX4000 (made by Leadtek, don't laugh at my cheapie card) - what should I use? or how can i find out?
SAQ (self answered question):
# lspci

Ok, I got it workin. Thanks so much for your help guys!