LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
fannymites

Rep: Reputation: 30
gpg errors on apt-get update...

For the past week I have been getting the following error while running apt-get update
Code:
W: GPG error: http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable Release: Couldn't access keyring: No such file or directory
or
W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org testing/non-US Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B629A24C38C6029A
After searching around I found a forum thread which suggested the following solution -
Code:
gpg --import /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg
apt-get update
After trying this I got lots of scrolling text in the terminal which carried on for about half an hour then seemed to stop dead, without returning to the command prompt.

Now when I try to apt-get update I'm getting the gpg error on every single source and no updates are available at all.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:21 AM   #2
ToastedToad

Distribution: Debian_sid/Debian_sarge_amd64

Rep: Reputation: 30
Yep, I've been getting those also. But, only for un-official sources like marillat. Tried the same fix as you but didn't help. I'm getting them on all of my sid machines, i386 and amd64.

Anyone else getting these warnings? What can be done?

Old 07-23-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
Siggn
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 0
He says on the ftp-page ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/index.html

Apparently you have never noticed but my packages can be checked with apt-check-sigs only with apt-get 0.5.x as explained here (chapter 7.4.3)

Here is my fingerprint :
1D7F C53F 80F8 52C1 88F4 ED0B 07DC 563D 1F41 B907

To import my key from a GPG server :
gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys 1F41B907

With apt-get >= 0.6 (the unstable version) do the following (sudo is needed) :
gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | sudo apt-key add -

If you don't use sudo, do the following under root :
gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 | apt-key add -

Thanks Christian

Old 07-23-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
ironwalker

Location: 1st hop-NYC/NewJersey shore,north....2nd hop-upstate....3rd hop-texas...4th hop-southdakota(sturgis)...5th hop-san diego.....6th hop-atlantic ocean! Final hop-resting in dreamland dreamwalking and meeting new people from past lives...gd' night.
Distribution: Siduction, the only way to do Debian Unstable

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
perl -pi -e 's/^(deb.+non-US.+)$/#\1/' /etc/apt/sources.list
"Prior to the release of Debian 3.1, United States laws placed restrictions on the export of certain defense articles, which, unfortunately, included some types of cryptographic software. PGP and SSH, among others, fell into this category. It was legal however, to import such software into the US.
To prevent anyone from taking unnecessary legal risks, some Debian
packages were only available from a site in Leiden, The Netherlands, until the release of Debian 3.1, which incorporates this software thanks to changes in United States law.
You should not need the non-US archive unless you are using a version of Debian from before Debian 3.1."

Therefore it is recommended to delete all lines referring to this non-US sources, as they are not relevant any more.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
darkleaf

Distribution: debian SID

Rep: Reputation: 45
Is it a non-us problem? I don't have any non-us in there but I get the error. I tried the gpg key I found on the debian site but that one doesn't work either just as the keyring.