LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
Skrilla

Distribution: Suse, Vector

Rep: Reputation: 15
Why are there so many !@#$% at LQ?

All I wanted was a decent discussion and all I get is trash. Every good reply is flooded with idiotic crap and I'm tired of it.

If you've got something stupid to say then I invite you to come to Houston, TX and say it to my face.

I still thank all of you that actually gave me some nice replies.

And I never left because I was asked to stay.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
jtshaw

Distribution: Ubuntu @ Home, RHEL @ Work

Rep: Reputation: 67
This is a forum for questions about Linux. Many people, myself included, have received much help from using these forums.

When you post things in an inflammatory manner you are probably going to get an inflammatory response.

Suggestions for the future...

Instead of "Linux is horrible because of xyz" why not try "I'm having trouble with xyz, does anyone have any pointers...". Your likely to get much better response and much less flame wars.

Keep in mind, that OSS is all about choice. Anyone can choose to build a distro. If you take that freedom away you will take away the very thing that got many of us interested in Linux in the first place. The word Linux and the word limited don't belong in the same sentence together. This can make it hard for newbies. That is why there are countless groups (LQ included) that go out of there way to help Newbies. That is why there are countless distributions (Ubuntu, Mandrake, Fedora, ect.) that lend themselves to newbies.

Give it a chance and ask good questions and you'll find it isn't nearly as hard as you think to successfully become a linux power user.

Last edited by jtshaw; 06-21-2005 at 10:28 PM.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
You're having a thanks-giving dinner with lots of family,
20 or more people having a jolly good time, drinking
their <insert preferred beverage> and eating their turkey.

Someone, a stranger, knocks at your door, barges into
your dining room and starts preaching to you and the other
guests that eating turkeys is a really bad thing, in particular
when done so with knives and forks ....

I'm sure everyone will calmly wait, hear him out and forfeit
eating turkeys henceforth because he obviously was correct.

Cheers,
Tink

Old 06-21-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
mdg

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 38
Re: Why are there so many assholes at LQ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Skrilla
All I wanted was a decent discussion and all I get is trash. Every good reply is flooded with idiotic crap and I'm tired of it. <cut>
After looking over your previous posts (3 threads on the same subject), I'm really surprised you don't understand the reaction. You rain on the party and expect everyone to smile and pat you on the back. You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but to word it as you did is simply inviting negative reaction. There have been plenty of suggestions by others throughout your threads for ways to make your opinion more acceptable.

Lastly and IMO, most importantly, linuxquestions is about helping. You said in one of your posts that you were working on a linux distribution, so you're obviously more knowledgeable than a lot of people here (definitely more than me), but in all your posts there's not a single post solving or helping to solve a problem.

You should read over your previous posts, maybe you'd understand the reaction.

Looks like another candidate for the General forum.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 AM   #5
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Well done. In a bid to bemoan the fact that you felt you were treated badly, you make an inflammatory thread like this. This has really really helped your case.

Closed Thread