LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Harlin

Distribution: I play with them all :-)

Rep: Reputation: 38
Threads - A way to close them out

When threads are solved or problems are fixed, is there a way to mark the thread as completed if you're the creator of the thread?

Thanks,

Harlin Seritt

Old 06-20-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
titanium_geek

Distribution: elementary os 5.1

Rep: Reputation: 50
look in this forum- (it is ONLY in this forum) and you can see the answered button (unless they removed it). This was intended to be what you are suggesting, but nobody used it (hardly).

I can't see any difference when I click answered however. is there one?

titanium_geek

Old 06-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Harlin

Distribution: I play with them all :-)

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 38
Yeah I see it, thanks for pointing it out to me. I wouldn't think it would be so useful here as this is a suggestion/opinion/general site information forum. Rather, I think it would be useful in the "Help" sections. Just a penny's worth of thought.

Thanks,

Harlin Seritt

Old 06-20-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
titanium_geek

my thoughts exactly- this has been asked and expounded before- search the site.

titanium_geek

Old 06-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Satriani

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9, Solaris8, Slackware 10, Slax on USB, AIX, FreeBSD, WinXP, AIX, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
I agree with Harlin! It would be very helpfull to have some sort of "SOLVED" button to let others know that the problem is solved. (In the help sections of course...)
The thread-starter could then mark the thread as solved.
Of course as mentioned by others, it's only usefull if people actually use it, but if the option is there, i think (hope) people will use it...

Anyways, LQ rocks, and it will rock no matter what! Thanks to all of you for the patience and lessons!!

Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by Satriani
I agree with Harlin! It would be very helpfull to have some sort of "SOLVED" button to let others know that the problem is solved. (In the help sections of course...)
The thread-starter could then mark the thread as solved.
Of course as mentioned by others, it's only usefull if people actually use it, but if the option is there, i think (hope) people will use it...
Like mentioned, we have it here, we announced it, no one is using it so why implement it elsewhere when only 1% of the users would use it..

We have many come to find a quick answer and might never return.. or only return to ask, wait and recieve answer and move on.. there's no requirement for anyone to followup with a solution provided, though it would be nice if they did, but it will never be a requirement.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
titanium_geek

Hey tricky, how about a trial in another forum- say linux-general. The reason many people don't use answered in this forum is because the questions aren't "life threatening" linux wise. I think anyway. Perhaps more people would use the function if there were "real" questions.

umm... and again, I really can't see any change to the thread on the thread list when it is clicked answered.

titanium_geek

Old 06-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Looks like Jeremy removed it - you used to see a U by default and an A if you clicked the Answered button. No one used it, at all. In fact, I'd like to see the ratio of posts with a "that fixed it, thanks" in there against all posts.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
titanium_geek

Quote:
Originally posted by XavierP
In fact, I'd like to see the ratio of posts with a "that fixed it, thanks" in there against all posts.
yeah. ditto. IS there a way to see it? how about a drive to get users to post a "that fixed it, thanks" if it did fix it? Similar to the zero replies drive/LQ wiki drive - how is that going btw?

titanium_geek

Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
The LQ Wiki Big Book of Statistics should help with that first part of question2. And at this time of writing, we have 24731 unanswered posts, and that went down with a screen refresh.

And the ratio of people who say thanks against the whole is very low, I would imagine.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Satriani

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9, Solaris8, Slackware 10, Slax on USB, AIX, FreeBSD, WinXP, AIX, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
Like mentioned, we have it here, we announced it, no one is using it so why implement it elsewhere when only 1% of the users would use it..
I see your point, tricky, but i can honestly say, i miss the point of testing this option in this thread.
As titanium_geek said, why not give it a try in one of the question forums, like linux general...

If you got a "nice and shiny" button saying: "This fixed my problem!" i could imagine people actually clicking it.
The threads with 0 replies for example, it took me quite some time before i realized that is was there... (And I click it now.... but who am i...)

But i can see the point where you mention people coming in and out for a quick answer... (At least, thats how I got here.. But IMHO people are more triggered to click a "Fixed" button then, let's say, the Thanks button for affero...

Old 06-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #12
titanium_geek

also, answered could mean "replied to" at which the user thinks: "hmmph. I KNOW that it's got a reply, why do I need to click it"

I want a "fixed button" in the Linux-general forum please- let's see what it does!

titanium-geek

Old 06-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #13
ctkroeker

Yeah!
That would be really cool. As I have a couple of threads that Are old and hav been solved a long time ago. If they were marked as "solved" or something like that, it would be really great.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
At this point, we're not going to do further testing on this. The current implementation just isn't something I like. After the forum update we can explore some of the ideas that have been floating around.

--jeremy

Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #15
ctkroeker

Ok, When will the Forum update be?