LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
rude_reality

Distribution: Debian 6

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry users are lock out

It seems that when I try to install the ATI Radeon drivers. I start getting the bash .... denied and nothing works... Only root works... I followed the tutorial for setting the card for xwindows.. I have radeon 9250 pci card with 256 mb... I really need some help!!!

Old 06-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
Be sure the hard drive partition is not full.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
rude_reality

Original Poster
Question error message while install

OK, I decide to set a second hard drive to test my untold skills of setting up my radeon 9250 256ram pci. While, I got a few warning:

firegl_public.h:56:48:warning:back slash and new line separated by space
firegl_public.h:57:6:waring:back slash and new line separated by space
firegl_public.h:58:41:back slash and new line separated by space

firegl_public.c:207:1:warning: "pt_unmap" redefined
firegl_public.c:140:1:warning: this is the lacation of the previous definition linking of fglrx kernel module

Also it said something to visit that site about tained

www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted

my system info:
Celeron 566 MHz
128 Megs RAM
ATI Radeon 9250 256ram PCI
20 Gigs hard drive (main linux)
7 Gigs hard drive (test linux)
DVD-Burner
Ethernet pci card

Old 06-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
Robert G. Hays

Distribution: Gentoo, Mandrake, ~others

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: error message while install

Quote:
firegl_public.h:56:48:warning:back slash and new line separated by space (, etc)
Obviously, there are 3 *visual* lines that end with the backslash ("\"), which is used to say that the *logical* line continues on into the next *visual* line, *AND*, that there is a <spacebar> after the backslash -- this is illegal and defeats the *logical* continuation of the line; find & remove those 'trailing spaces'... you have the line numbers. (I don't know "56:48" in a --header--... try both. If line '56' includes another file, try line '48' in the other file.)

This itself may cause other errors, including the other two you mentioned.

By-the-way, pretty good post.

Quote:
firegl_public.c:207:1:warning: "pt_unmap" redefined
"pt_unmap" either is erroneously re-defined due to above, or there is a conflict and you need (possibly with help) to find out where/why, and then figure out what can be done, if anything -- fix above first & see if it goes away.

Quote:
firegl_public.c:140:1:warning: this is the lacation of the previous definition linking of fglrx kernel module
Are you sure that this is the letter-exact message? Please confirm or correct, if it survives past fixing #1 above!

Quote:
Also it said something to visit that site about tained
This last just means that you do not qualify for a halo by specifically refusing to run software that is -not- open-source; if this matters to you, get rid of the 'offending' software & use-something-else or-else do-without; me, I got a big enough halo as it is to be uncomfortably heavy -- I'll pass on that endorsement & use the non-OSS stuff. Your decision, friend!

lol,

Old 06-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
rude_reality

Original Poster
Question firegl_puclic.c message

Yes, the message from compiling the driver fglrx_6_8_0-8.14.13-1.i386.rpm that I download from ati.com. I did alien to convert the file from rpm to tgz file.

I did fix the warning problem that I was getting from firefl_public.h

additional information:

I'm running slackware 10.1 ( kernel 2.4.29)

Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
Robert G. Hays

OK, did the fix fix all of it?

best,

Old 06-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #7
rude_reality

Original Poster
when I ran 'sh make_install.sh' the following output was display:

root@linex:/lib/modules/fglrx# sh make_install.sh
- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o: Hint: insmod errors can be caused byincorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o: insmod fglrx failed
failed.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Robert G. Hays

Hmm... Try :
lsmod > ~/lsmoutput.txt
and please post the results (lsmoutput.txt) here

rgh

Old 06-16-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
rude_reality

Original Poster
here the info

Here is the information you requested....

Module Size Used by Not tainted
usb-storage 65184 0 (unused)
af_packet 13000 1 (autoclean)
uhci 25660 0 (unused)
usbcore 61708 1 [usb-storage uhci]
tulip 40544 1
crc32 2880 0 [tulip]
ide-scsi 10192 0
scsi_mod 59464 2 [usb-storage ide-scsi]
unix 14896 116 (autoclean)

Old 06-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
Robert G. Hays

*Back!*

I do not see any video modules at all -- we need to install one, unless one is compiled into the kernel itself.

Either from the full-screen commands-line,
or,
if you have a graphical GUI Desktop at all, from within a 'shell' or 'terminal' (usually accessed from the, excuse me!, 'Start' button at the lower-left corner of the GUI, sub 'terminals' or 'shells' (then just pick one, I suggest 'xterm.'),
RUN the command:

cd /usr/src/linux

-- if this gives 'no such' error-msg, you do not have the kernel-source installed, and we will, for now, assume that your kernel probably does not have any video drivers installed that we need to worry about, so you would SKIP this next command:

make menuconfig
ALTERNATIVE: if you do have a GUI, you might prefer to do :
make xconfig (might be spelled Xconfig; case matters!); could be easier for you to use.

You will quickly figure the move/select keys out. We will NOT change anything this time, so you can use Control-C to exit; if a pop-up asks you to verify something, BE SURE that you tell it NOT to save anything !!
Find the "DRIVERS" item, select it and press enter.
Now look through and make sure that any S3, nVidia, ATI, and such-like known video-cards are ALL NOT selected; which means that their left-hand check-boxes are all empty.
Write down any that are, and ....:
Exit.
Now please post the results of all this.

I do not know Slack, you will probably need to get Slack help, possibly by posting a Short item in the Slackware section, basically titled 'please help, installing ATI9200... in slackware 10.1', and the body says something like please see **this** thread, and I am now needing a fellow slackie to help me finish this.

That last was *not* me signing off, just a heads-up that we are going to get there.

Post the 'make menuconfig. results that I asked for, and we'll take it from there.

P.S.: two books you might want if you are new to Linux:

Linux Desktop Reference, from Prentice Hall PTR -- this is (dated-but usable) man-pages, printed out & with index. Damn Good.

Linux Cookbook, from Linux Journal Press, newer, also Damn Good from what (little bit) I have read in my printed copy so far. Also has free-downloadable complete version if you want to find that and get it, but!, d/l is not much use if your computer crashes.

Get both & get study-reading...

Best!,

Last edited by Robert G. Hays; 06-17-2005 at 12:28 PM.