LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
matthewa

Distribution: Slackware 10.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
When you guys get tired of me...just say so

but I really do not understand this! I have restarted three times. And I mean restarted! including crashing the system, reformatting the hard drive, and reinstalling the host distro. I follow the book letter by letter. Im telling you i dont miss anything, nothing. I have done everything the book sais step by step missing nothing along the way, and yet I keep getting different results ever single time I try this!!!!!!

This time when I try to install the linux-2.6.8.1 kernel.........

make mrproper goes well

but, make include/linux/version.h gives me the output:

Makefile:415: .config: No such file or directory
CHK include/linux/version.h
/bin/sh: include/linux/version.h.tmp: No such file or directory
UPD include/linux/version.h
mv: cannot stat `include/linux/version.h.tmp': No such file or directory
make: *** [include/linux/version.h] Error 1

I am in the lfs user, the lfs enviro variable is there, I have followed the book to the t missing nothing.......what.............is ...................the...........problem!!!!

.....ok, could it be the distro im using. Fedora Core 3? It's the right kernel version and all development tools are present and updated!!!!!!

Some one give me a clue here!!! Should I change distros???????

Old 06-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
freegianghu

Distribution: Window$

Rep: Reputation: 30
Re: When you guys get tired of me...just say so

Quote:
Originally posted by matthewa
but I really do not understand this! I have restarted three times. And I mean restarted! including crashing the system, reformatting the hard drive, and reinstalling the host distro. I follow the book letter by letter. Im telling you i dont miss anything, nothing. I have done everything the book sais step by step missing nothing along the way, and yet I keep getting different results ever single time I try this!!!!!!

This time when I try to install the linux-2.6.8.1 kernel.........

make mrproper goes well

but, make include/linux/version.h gives me the output:

Makefile:415: .config: No such file or directory
CHK include/linux/version.h
/bin/sh: include/linux/version.h.tmp: No such file or directory
UPD include/linux/version.h
mv: cannot stat `include/linux/version.h.tmp': No such file or directory
make: *** [include/linux/version.h] Error 1

I am in the lfs user, the lfs enviro variable is there, I have followed the book to the t missing nothing.......what.............is ...................the...........problem!!!!

.....ok, could it be the distro im using. Fedora Core 3? It's the right kernel version and all development tools are present and updated!!!!!!

Some one give me a clue here!!! Should I change distros???????
Affer make mrproper goes well then kernel source code had been clean. You should make defconfig or make menuconfig or something like that before continue

All thing nearly done, good luck
GH

Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
jrmann1999

Distribution: Slackware, Mandrake, LFS

In other words, Make Mrproper deletes .config and removes all symlinks to your arch files. Effectively the system is reset as though you had just untarred the linux source...

Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
freegianghu

Distribution: Window$

Quote:
Originally posted by jrmann1999
In other words, Make Mrproper deletes .config and removes all symlinks to your arch files. Effectively the system is reset as though you had just untarred the linux source...
Even more cleaner

Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
matthewa

Distribution: Slackware 10.1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
wow......didnt know that! Guess I didnt know as much about Linux as I thought I knew. Thats ok though, because I started this project to learn all I could about it.

Thanks again guys. Think maybe I should go back and read the prerequisites on compiling first. Then Ill start it again!!!

Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
vectordrake

Distribution: Something alpha or beta, binary or source...

Rep: Reputation: 47
I don't know if this fits here, but I have a suggestion. Don't
Code:
make mrproper
Just save your .config somewhere every time you compile and copy it into the /usr/src/linux directory when you wanna upgrade. Your choice. This is the way I usually upgrade my kernel (every month or so). Ymmv.