LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #1
bnj

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 16
LCD Display: input signal not supported

Hello,

I have a problem with my LCD display: It does not support the signal comming from my graphic card.
The monitor is a ACER AL1912, which is 19" wide.
The graphic card is integrated on the motherboard (ASRock P4S61 mATX SiS 661FX VGA, Sound, LAN, USB 2.0, FSB:800Mhz, Ram:3 DDR)
The OS I am using is SuSE Linux Pro 9.3

The behaviour, when I turn on my computer, is quite strange: I can see the BIOS information, then I can choose how I want to boot (Linux or Linux Failsafe). Then, when I choose "Linux", the monitor turns black and tells me "input not supported". When SuSE has finished booting, I get the login screen again, I can login and everything works fine.
So it is just during the time of booting that I cannot see what should be displayed on my screen. I do not really need to see it, but it is annoying.

So I tried to configure the monitor automatically using sax2, and after that I could not see anything at all anymore. I re-installed Linux (from scratch) using an old CRT monitor. Once everything was configured, I changed to the TFT monitor and got the same behaviour as described above.

Now I heard that I could launch sax2 again, and manually choose a monitor that is "similar" to mine. It should be TFT (TFT is just another name for LCD, right?), 1280x1024 resolution and a "reasonably low" frequency. But I do not know which one to choose. There are thousands to choose from. Does anybody have a good suggestion?

Thank you and best regards,

Benjamin

Old 05-06-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Tuttle

Distribution: mainly slackware

Rep: Reputation: 52
Does suse use grub or lilo as boot loader? If it is lilo you can use the "vga=normal" mode in /etc/lilo.conf then re-run lilo. This mode usually works on everything. For grub, I am not sure as I have very little experience, but I can tell you that if your login screen is ok then this problem has nothing to do with xorg (the graphical interface).

Old 05-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
bnj

Original Poster
Thank your for your answer, Tuttle.
I don't think I am using lilo, because there is only one OS on my machine (SuSE), and the file /etc/lilo.conf does not exist. So maybe I am using grub, but I don't know. How can I find out?

Thank you,

Benjamin

Old 05-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
piscikeeper

Distribution: SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 30
Acer 1912 user manual
Hfreq=24-80KHz
Vfreq=49-75Hz
use these values in your x-configuration.
SuSE uses grub.it sounds like a problem with the bootsplash not being displayed.try hitting esc for the verbose boot screen and see if it displays properly.

Last edited by piscikeeper; 05-07-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
bnj

Original Poster
Thank you for your answer piscikeeper. Unfortunately, I cannot try it at the moment. ButI will do it asap.

Best regards,

Benjamin

Old 05-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
bnj

Original Poster
The solution did not work. I get a strange error. The same I use to get when I used the "reprobe" button in YaST.
I tried to change the frequency of my screen using yast. I got a strange grey login screen and an x-console displaying an error. When I logged in, everything looked ok except the little x-console with the error. So I switched back to the original frequencies. I still get this strange grey log screen plus the x-console.
Also, when I want to log out, I can only "end the current session". Not shutdown or restart anymore.
The x-console message is:
Code:
 Console log for linux
May 18 20:54:02 linux kernel: mtrr: 0xc0000000,0x4000000 overlaps existing 0xc0000000,0x2000000
Can anybody tell me how to get a normal display again?

Thank you and best regards

Last edited by bnj; 05-23-2005 at 03:51 AM.

Old 05-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
bnj

Original Poster
I finally got the answer to my question. If you have the same problem, you can find the solution here.

I usually do not double-post, but nobody was answering here. And it was worth it :-)

Best regards,

Benjamin