LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2002, 11:20 AM   #1
shoot2kill

Distribution: Red Hat

Rep: Reputation: 30
Question wireless encryption key

In my work place, we used to have our wireless network encryption key changes monthly. The key will be published on the intranet, so users are able to update their wireless configuration.

Now, they do not want to change the encryption key every month. Instead, there is this ' IT center' which setup the encryption key for the office users. Therefore, nobody will know the encryption key. They want to keep these key confidential. The standard OS plateform is win2k. I have a laptop with Linux loaded, I doubt that these IT people could configure my wireless configuration and I don't think they will let me know(so that i can do it myself) the encryption key due to the new policy.

Is there anyway I can hack to get to know the WEP key?

Old 09-15-2002, 03:00 AM   #2
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 72
AirSnort:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/airsno...ic_id=44%2C152

Wepcrack:

http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/

That'll teach the buggers to run a network using a big stinky horking pile of bad math! Honestly though, I'de argue that you should show them what file to edit, promise not to look at it and then when they refuse, crack the network and explain to them what the letters V.P.N. mean.

Cheers,

Finegan

Last edited by finegan; 09-15-2002 at 03:04 AM.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:29 AM   #3
shoot2kill

Original Poster
Hi Fin,

I had tried the wepcrack, and read the directions in using the tools. Basically, I still have no idea the way to specify the key format. Can you briefly explain more on this? Or could you pls show me some example commands and comment the ussage.

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Old 09-17-2002, 03:58 PM   #4
finegan
LQ Guru

I've never used WEP crack, I put together a working Airsnort laptop once, but the only key I had to snort was work... which I already knew. Airsnort has a gtk front-end so its a lot more user friendly. They both use the same method for de-encryption. Remember to get the patch for your driver and patch libpcap too.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 09-28-2002, 07:14 PM   #5
shoot2kill

Original Poster
Hi Fin,

I've got the airsnort installed, here I bump into some problems, when i execute the airsnort program, it promts that can't set card to monitor mode.

From the airsnort home page, here's what it stated:

A common problem I am hearing about is people installing pcmcia-cs when they already have kernel pcmcia built in. The problem is that the orinoco drivers for kernel pcmcia install to a different location than the orinoco drivers for pcmcia-cs. This often results in two sets of drivers being present after doing a make install on the pcmcia-cs sources. The problem is that the patched version of the orinoco drivers will not be used, rather the old unpatched drivers get loaded and you will be led to believe that the patch has failed. Make sure that you do not have more than one copy of hermes.o, orinoco.o and orinoco_cs.o in your /lib/modules/<kernel> subtree. Test that you are actually using patched drivers with the following:
iwpriv eth0
If you do not see "monitor" listed as the last available private ioctl, then you are not using patched drivers. Remove any old drivers that you find per the instructions above.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I have a default kernel with the pcmcia support, maybe that's why it is not using the patch driver. How do i remove the old driver?

Old 09-28-2002, 08:41 PM   #6
finegan
LQ Guru

The easiest I can think of is to download a copy of the original driver source from the DWLD site:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...2&goto=newpost

Patch, or is it replace, the source with the patched source from airsnort, compile those and install them with a, "make" "make install", this should replace the in-kernel pcmcia modules which you are using. Right now the old drivers should be in /lib/modules/2.4.X/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 10-02-2002, 11:22 AM   #7
shoot2kill

Original Poster
Fin,

I bumped into some problem, i just downloaded the latest pcmcia-cs package 3.2.1. I applied the patch and then run ./Configure/make/make install then go into the wireless subdirectory and make, here's the error msg:

hermes.c: In function 'hermes_reset':
hermes.c:191: structure has no member named 'port_enabled'
hermes.c:195: structure has no member named 'port_enabled'
hermes.c:199: structure has no member named 'port_enabled'
hermes.c:203: structure has no member named 'port_enabled'
make: *** [hermes.o] Error 1

Did you encounter the problem the last time when you installed the patched driver?

Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
//Moderator note:

Even tho I agree with what I'd call "furthering one's knowledge", this is not the forum or the board to have these type of discussions, as per the rules you agreed to when you signed up for this board.

I'm sorry I'm late moderating this thread.
Closed. Reason: word hack and/or seeking active disclosure of confidential material which is restricted.

Last edited by unSpawn; 10-02-2002 at 01:20 PM.

Closed Thread