LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software > Linux - Games
User Name
Password
Linux - Games This forum is for all discussion relating to gaming in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
JerryMcFarts

Distribution: Ubuntu 6.04

Rep: Reputation: 15
A Gamerz Must Have!!

Hi I love to game and with Linux they have my 2 most favorite games. Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory (with the ELITE mod) and ArmyOps

So I am set, but there are some annoyances. One of the biggest for me is that when I play I can't minimize the screen when I am playing, say if i had a IM or if i wanted to read a web-page while I am waiting to respawn. Okay sure I can minimize it with the following:

Alt+Enter

But it seems to me it takes to long or it freezes up or i lose my mouse. Well I found a better way. Which I use frequently to my delight. Sure people know how to do this, but I am reaching out to the ones who don't.

Everything that I explain is explained here
But I am writing this out of my experiences.

You are currently running on your X-server (or DISPLAY) and you should know that if you

Ctrl+Alt+F(1,2,3,4,5,6,)

you get different terminals, and you can use them all at the same time if need be.
And the last

Ctrl+Alt+F7

Is your Graphical Interface. Well Have you ever wanted to have a 2ND Graphical interface? Well you can with the steps below.

Enabling your Second X-server:

try this:

Open up a terminal window and type:

Code:
X :1.0
This starts your Second X server you should see your mouse and should be able to move it around on a blank screen (I have a nVidia Flash Screen that pops up telling me that i have the graphics installed). My mouse is an X on the screen.

IF YOU GET THIS GO TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE SOLUTION

Quote:
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
IF ALL IS GOOD CONTINUE

Then: Ctrl+Alt+F7

This brings you back to your main desktop.

To keep it organize, I go back to the same terminal

Go to File > Open Tab > Default

Then in that new window type

Code:
export DISPLAY=:1.0
This sets your terminal to run the second X-server DISPLAY

to see what X-server you are controlling you type

Code:
echo $DISPLAY
You should see
:1.0 *you don't need to do this, I am making sure that you see what you're controlling*

Then type:

Code:
xterm
This started the xterm in your second X-Server.

Then Ctrl+Alt+F8

you should see that screen with your mouse and now a xterm is in it, click on the xterm and type your game/program that you would like to use.

Code:
et
Now during the game perhaps you want to go back to your Desktop

Then Ctrl+Alt+F7

and Ctrl+Alt+F8 to get back.

And You are Done I find it to be faster and more effective and its cool geeky thing to do :-) Happy Gaming!!

SOLUTION TO PERMISSION PROBLEM
####################################################

Quote:
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
###################################################

***************** THIS IS ALL QUOTED FROM THIS SITE ***********************
www.Linux.Gamers.net

This indecates your writes are not enough to access this screen. If you don't even now: It's deny to start any applications on the X of somebody else. Even for root.
But as we can solve that problem by editing the .Xauthority using xauth.

Code:
linux $ xauth
xauth>
How you have an auth-prompt to edit the accesfiles. First lets see all entry for now:

Code:
xauth> list
0.0.0.0:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  68d682a4f137b4f4679248eybc36a7c5
xeroc/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  68d682a4f137b4f4679248eybc36a7c5
As we see here we are only allowed to use :0. My MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1-Code is this: 68d682a4f137b4f4679248eybc36a7c5 (For security I changed it).
We now have to add Display :1.0:
Code:
xauth> add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  68d682a4f137b4f4679248eybc36a7c5
and save:
Code:
xauth> exit
Note that 'quit' removes changes and exits then.

Now all should work fine.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Linux.tar.gz

Distribution: Slackware forever.

Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Wow!!! A Linuxianz Must Have!!! I saw somewhere it was impossible!!
But i should expect your thread to be something great because you play Truecombat: elite .
Thxx man. And gg hf gl

Old 02-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
I have moved this thread to Linux-Games - why not write this up for our Tutorial section?

Old 02-09-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
pujolasdf

Yeah!!! Brilliant post!! That's what we newbies (I started seriously with linux just 3 days ago) need to learn how to use the best OS out there! Thank you very much ;D

I just have one question. How do you remove the new X server? I tried killing the X:1.0 process in the new X server but now when I do CTRL+ALT+F8 I get a black screen with a keyboard cursor in the top left corner and I am unable to type or do anything there.

Last edited by pujolasdf; 02-09-2005 at 07:10 AM.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
Tuxluver

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

Rep: Reputation: 16
Thanks for the post! That's really cool! I love playing ArmyOps, and that'll be a really nice thing to be able to do.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
Tormented

Distribution: Mandriva 2006

You guys might want to check out Xgame.
It's a perl script that provides a simple gui for starting a game in a new X session.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
JerryMcFarts

Original Poster
When you go to the konsole where you started the :1.0 you just hit

Ctrl+C

to kill the process and when you get back to the normal command line you konw its done.

Even though there is a cursor blinker, its not doing anything it is just there ready to start up again if need be.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:46 AM   #8
rejser

Distribution: Ubuntu dapper/breezy

I just switch desktop......

Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
JerryMcFarts

Original Poster
Also another ad

You will notice that you can't move anything on the new screen this is because you don't have a window manager running. Since I use the Gnome Desktop environment I know that the KDE window manager isn't being used so i start that up in a new xterm on my first display:

Code:
# export DISPLAY=:1.0
# kwin
Now after I have made more windows, for console or to surf the Internet, i now can move the windows if they over lap. lol :-)

Thank you for reading,
~Bryon

P.S. rejser, reread the first post i think you mis-understand why i want to have another display.

Old 02-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #10
JerryMcFarts

Original Poster
Wine under Second X-Server

I have been experimenting with Wine, and installing programs all over the place. lol I find it very annoying when programs freeze or their splash screen wont go away for some odd reason, and so usually I go into console and init 3 then init 5 to get back to my original screen. So i am experimenting with using the second X window instead so that I don't have to keep reboot my 1st X server. but I am having some problems getting it to work in the second X Server

first of all I have just been trying this, I start up my X server.

Code:
X :1.0
then I start up KDE, i don't know why i just don't want to mess up with Gnome, when i using it on my first one. even though i have tried it too on there, i will explain that later.
Code:
kdm
Thats under root

theni start up the window manager
Code:
kwin
this all works out but then when it yr to use wine to play a game or anything

Code:
wine ./UFO\ Defense.exe
i get a butt-load of errors:

Quote:
err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\jerrymcfarts\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\MicroProse\\X-COM Collector's Edition\\UFODefense\\UFO Defense.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system\\ddraw.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library DDRAW.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\jerrymcfarts\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\MicroProse\\X-COM Collector's Edition\\UFODefense\\UFO Defense.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system\\dsound.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library DSOUND.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\jerrymcfarts\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\MicroProse\\X-COM Collector's Edition\\UFO Defense\\UFO Defense.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system\\dinput.dll") not found
err:module:import_dll Library DINPUT.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\jerrymcfarts\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\MicroProse\\X-COM Collector's Edition\\UFO Defense\\UFO Defense.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\jerrymcfarts\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files\\MicroProse\\X-COM Collector's Edition\\UFO Defense\\UFO Defense.exe" failed, status c0000135
So i am guessing that something isn't loaded yet, but i don't know what.

When i was using Gnome, i did NOT start up
Code:
gdm
because it says it is already running. but I start up the graphical shell
Code:
nautilus /
then
Code:
kwin
and this also does'nt work.. am i missing something?

thank you for reading,
Bryon

Old 03-12-2005, 05:24 AM   #11
Linux.tar.gz

Distribution: Slackware forever.

Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Perhaps wine supports only X :0.0

Old 04-09-2005, 01:02 AM   #12
JerryMcFarts

Original Poster
Maybe..

OK I made a nice tutorial on that, and I can't speak for other distros, since I am useing Ubuntu but i found this command:

gdmflexiserver

This starts an automatic second X-Server. Very Cool!! Check it out! let me know if the other distros have this feature, i am guessing that anyone with GDM will have it.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #13
WindowsDefector
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Okay this works great to switch displays when playing ET. My problem now is that I get the error:The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
Warning: Symbol map for key <ESC> redefined
Using last definition for conflicting fields

This repeats for 20 or so different keys then it says:

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

What I find is that in ET for example, my mousewheel doesn't work anymore. I'm sure it has something to do with redefining keys or something in the new x-display or needing to load a new keymap or something but I have no idea. Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2005, 07:29 AM   #14
JerryMcFarts

Original Poster
Sorry I personally haven't had that problem.. is this the first time you cross over to your normal desktop? or is this when going back to the game ET?

only trouble i have lately is when I switch my screen turns black and it freezes and I have to reboot. Which is really annoying. I believe i have a bad graphics card. But I know that if I set the resolution the same as the Desktop then it doesn't have to work as hard when switching it does it less.

this is random though. so i believe it is my graphics card.

Old 08-31-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
yowi

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 55
Haven't seen it mentioned so try ctrl-alt-backspace
that should kill your current x session and xdk should restart it.

The must have for me is Red Orchestra. It's an awesome WW2 mod for UT2004, ET just leaves a dirty taste in my mouth now, there's even has a 64bit version! linux truly rocks!!!
check it here: http://redorchestra.clanservers.com
oops 509 bandwidth exceeded, try again tomorrow!

Last edited by yowi; 08-31-2005 at 06:17 PM.