LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
floyd

Distribution: Mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 15
Kmail questions

I have recently switched to Kmail and am having trouble finding settings that should be fairly simple.

Firstly, how do I make it so that if I forward a message with an attachment, it forwards the attachment as well. It is stupid behaviour to not send it as a message with an attachment is generally referring TO the attachment.

Secondly, is it possible to sanitise html mail, and "unsanitise" it if you decide its safe, like in thunderbird? And if it is sanitised, is it possible to strip all the html tags away so that its readable?

Thirdly, what is the button to open an email? I would have thought that enter was the logical choice, but the only way I can find to open them is double clicking!

Fourthly, can I view attached pictures in the email instead of having to open them all individually? (Again, like thunderbird behaviour).

Finally, how do you set it to receive mail every 10 minutes or so? These seems like an obvious feature, but I cant find where to turn it on. It is certainly not in the Network->Receive section of the options (Where check mail on start up is), which is the logical place.

I really want to like Kmail, but so far it has been a bit of a usability nightmare.

Floyd

Last edited by floyd; 12-15-2004 at 10:14 PM.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
mattrogers
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Archlinux

Rep: Reputation: 0
For the first point:

KMail forwards mails as attachments by default. Therefore, if you look view the email you're forwarding, you should see the attachment with it. At least this is the behavior in the upcoming kmail 1.7 (KDE 3.4 alpha 1). Here's a poor attempt at a diagram:

Forwarded Message (starts blank waiting for you to add something)
--- Attachment (this was the message you wanted to forward)
------ Attachment (this is the attachment that was attached to the message you forwarded)

hopefully the above diagram makes sense.

For the second point (sanitizing html mails): that's not possible in KMail as far as i know (AFAIK)

For the third point: You can hit 'Enter' to open a mail in a new window. Use left and right to navigate the message list for a folder.

For the fourth point: you can't view images in the email. running an external program is required ATM

For the last post: the ability to configure message checking at certain intervals is done per account. In the Configure KMail dialog, click Accounts and view the Receiving tab. Modify an account you want to check at a certain interval. Find the checkbox labeled 'Enable interval mail checking' and the Check interval setting will be enabled.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:57 AM   #3
dalek

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 79
Some of those things are done for security reasons. Example, you get spam that contains a image that tracks the fact you got the email. If Kmail opens it, they know you exist. You get more spam. Since Kmail does not do that they do not know if you got it or not becuase it does not get external "objects". Remember the image only has to be one pixil, that you can't even see, but they got you.

I use Mozilla mail myself and have it set to do the same thing as Kmail, not downloading the stuff that is not contained in the email itself. If I get spam, I open Kmail then bounce it back. Some say this does not work. It does. I stopped doing that for a while and I kept getting more and more. I starting back to bouncing spam and now I get one or two a week, was getting 3 or 4 a day. It works for me at least, just wish Mozilla would add the feature.

It is a security feature but hopefully they will make it so you can customize it to suit what you need, hopefully. I like the fact that I can click on a link and it opens in Mozilla, even the tabs work. Kmail doesn't do that, prolly never will, may not can for that matter.

It is a good thing really, but it is annoying.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 AM   #4
daihard

Distribution: Kubuntu 14.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally posted by mattrogers
For the third point: You can hit 'Enter' to open a mail in a new window. Use left and right to navigate the message list for a folder.
Unfortunately, KMail only scrolls down the message body when you hit "Enter" on a highlighted message. I am looking for a way to open a mail with the keyboard, too, but I've been out of luck so far.

Last edited by daihard; 12-16-2004 at 01:42 AM.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
ashwin_cse

Distribution: arch, rhel, ubuntu, debian, gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 22
i am looking for a way to open new message in new window. In outlook express then exists a button that will take you to the next message in the folder. This very nice feature. In kmail if i had opened a msg. in new window & want to proceed to the next message. Then i have to close this window & double click on the next msg. I think this is a crumble-some procedure. I know there is shortcut key + to move to the next msg. But that doesn't open up in new window. I find reading msg in small portion of screen is not comfortable. Otherwise i find kmail to b a good e-mail client. Its certainly better than evolution.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:24 AM   #6
bobgott
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwin_cse

Otherwise i find kmail to b a good e-mail client. Its certainly better than evolution.
I'm curious .. how can you find kmail better than evolution? Evolution is so much more of a full email client. (of course kmail is smaller and a tad faster)

Also, if anyone is listening, when one opens an email in kmail .. There is no button to delete the email? (or for that matter to do anything) .. I find I have to either delete an opened email by keystroke or go back to the main program window. annoying.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
mattrogers
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by daihard
Unfortunately, KMail only scrolls down the message body when you hit "Enter" on a highlighted message. I am looking for a way to open a mail with the keyboard, too, but I've been out of luck so far.
Then somebody has messed with your default shortcuts in KMail. The defaults are to use either the left arrow key or 'p' to move to the previous message, the right arrow key or 'n' to move to the next message, and Enter to open the message. Check your shortcuts in Settings->Configure KMail

Old 12-16-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
mattrogers
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by bobgott
I'm curious .. how can you find kmail better than evolution? Evolution is so much more of a full email client. (of course kmail is smaller and a tad faster)

Also, if anyone is listening, when one opens an email in kmail .. There is no button to delete the email? (or for that matter to do anything) .. I find I have to either delete an opened email by keystroke or go back to the main program window. annoying.
you should file a wishlist item for that at bugs.kde.org. I agree the toolbar is rather sparse when viewing a message in a seperate window.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
daihard

Quote:
Originally posted by mattrogers
Then somebody has messed with your default shortcuts in KMail. The defaults are to use either the left arrow key or 'p' to move to the previous message, the right arrow key or 'n' to move to the next message, and Enter to open the message. Check your shortcuts in Settings->Configure KMail
One mistake on my part. It was the space key that scrolled down the message body, not the enter key. Hitting the enter key does nothing, and it has always been that way with KMail as far as I know. (I've been using it since KDE 2.x.)

I built this version of KDE (3.3.2) myself. Nobody has ever touched it except for me.

It's "Settings -> Configure Shortcuts," by the way. There is no default entry there that uses the Enter key. This is KMail 1.7.2.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
UltimaGuy

Distribution: PCLinuxOS .92, FC4

Rep: Reputation: 32
I too have just started using KMail and have some issues with it..

1) The same issue discussed here...I can open a mail only by double clicking on it... I couldn't find any key combination to do this.

2) How to make KMail accept multiple SMTP's. It accepts all right, but I don't know how to actually use a SMTP other than the default one to send mails.. I have poked around various settings and no use. Now the mails that are not sent from the default mail account just go into cyber space, but are not actually sent and so no one receives them

3) I am trying to add my signature, and am absolutely stumped when trying to do this seemingly easy task..

Old 12-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #11
daihard

Quote:
Originally posted by UltimaGuy
I too have just started using KMail and have some issues with it..
2) How to make KMail accept multiple SMTP's. It accepts all right, but I don't know how to actually use a SMTP other than the default one to send mails.. I have poked around various settings and no use. Now the mails that are not sent from the default mail account just go into cyber space, but are not actually sent and so no one receives them

3) I am trying to add my signature, and am absolutely stumped when trying to do this seemingly easy task..
(2) You can assign any of the outgoing accounts you set up to an individual account this way: Go to "Identities," choose an account, press "Modify," go to the Advanced tab, enable "Special Transport" for that particular account.

(3) Go to "Identities" choose an account, press "Modify" and go to the Signature tab.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #12
UltimaGuy

Distribution: PCLinuxOS .92, FC4

Rep: Reputation: 32
Thanks...it worked