LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
ravenstyles
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Exclamation freeBSD better than LINUX !!!

ok so i'm having a discussion with a guy that thinks bsd is better than linux...i know i know...but i need some ammo. can you guys give me some tips as to why linx is better than bsd to rub in his face?

Old 11-22-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
rjlee

Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04

Rep: Reputation: 76
Linux is based on the GPL, which protects people's rights to reuse the code.

With BSD, someone could take software originally written for the public interest, and use it in a purely closed-source application, without returning any improvements back to the community. So BSD is not free (libre) software.

Also, linux runs on far more different types of hardware than BSD.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
ravenstyles
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
feel free to visit the othe forum http://www.tweak3d.net/forum/viewtop...=1038&start=20

i'm the guy with the audi,ravenstyles... he's Boltsky

this was my last post

There is one important belief you must understand: A LICENSE IS NOT BETTER OR WORSE THAN ANY OTHER LICENSE except from your point of view involving the goals you want to accomplish. A license is a foundation of how people are to behave, just like a government. From a business point of view. the US has a great government where money rules all. From a humanitarian point of view other governments have better ideas and goals. But neither government is better or worse if they accomplish the goals the people want. If the license does what you want it to do, then it is good for you, might not be good for someone else, but who cares about them. Thus, ONLY IDIOTS CLAIM ONE LICENSE IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER IF THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR GOALS ARE. Once we know what your goals are with the software you are creating, then we can determine which license is best for your software. Even then, it is still an opinion open to debate.

computer science is just that a science, the more minds working on a problem the more solutions that can come to that issue, IDC confirmed that the BSD market share has dropped down to less than a fraction of 1 percent of all servers. where as there are aprox eighteen million boxes out there. the user suport database for free, net, open they all suck there's no comapison to the user base of the linux distros.

but like i said there both good, i just dont feel bds is better, hell i dont think linux is better, thats a lie...i dont likw how att still owns rights to bsd bsd never bought the unix name

Old 11-22-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Moved: Versus type debates belong in General, not the Linux - General forum.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
melinda_sayang

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 31
The penguin is cute. And the devil is cute too!!!!!

??????????????????????????????????

Old 11-22-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
ror

Rep: Reputation: 33
Just let em use BSD if they prefer it, I know people who use both and like both.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #7
sh1ft

Distribution: Slackware, ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 32
Meh, they each server their purpose. BSD makes a good server os and linux makes a good desktop os. (not to diminish linux's server capabilities..)

Old 11-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #8
halo14

Distribution: Debian | CentOS | Arch

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by rjlee
Also, linux runs on far more different types of hardware than BSD.
Wow... are you serious?? Perhaps you haven't heard of NetBSD??? NetBSD runs, currently on 55 different architechtures.. from i386 to ALPHA to MIPS to Playstation 2 and Dreamcast... So before you say that Linux runs on more hardware... look into it... it does not..

Also, as for the comment about there being no requirement that open source software be returned to the community.. that is also false.. And OpenBSD is the #1 upholder of that idea... They won't even include things like the newer Apache and XFree86 4.4 because the licenses are unacceptable...

Also, FreeBSD has better performance and stability than linux... and it makes a great desktop.. as does the others... I'm running OpenBSD on my notebook... (OpenBSD, by the way, has not had a remote security hole in over 9 years)

Now.. I love both Linux and BSD.. but I definitely don't think that you can get all hyped up like you are about "rubbing it in his face" or "proving" that Linux is better... because it's not.. it's just a matter of preference... Sure.. linux is better at SOME things... just as BSD is better at SOME things.. which, on the same note, WINDOWS is better at SOME things... This is like telling me that Catholicism is better than Judaism and Atheism, simply because it's what you like.. F-that..

Old 11-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #9
Stack

Distribution: FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 30
Perhaps this will help you out? http://www.linuxisforbitches.com/

Quote:
So BSD is not free (libre) software.
libre = freedom
Now tell me who has more freedom? The license that allows you integrate the source in any application open or closed as long as you leave the original credits intact or the license that over my dead body will i let you include the source in a closed project and forces you to open it?

Now which one represents pure unadulterated freedom?

PS: The fact that is that BSD code gets ripped off by the GPL folks daily and they violate our license left and right... Anyone recall the fiasco over the sata drivers they ripped from the freebsd project?

Last edited by Stack; 11-22-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 PM   #10
fenderman11111

Distribution: debian, freebsd

Rep: Reputation: 15
it's all the same to me... (: \
But it is true that linux has better HW support.

and also... richard stallman's a hoss.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:42 PM   #11
melinda_sayang

Rep: Reputation: 31
FreeBSD's development model is similar to both NetBSD and OpenBSD, but radically different from the Linux development manual. Linus Torvalds has been described as a benevolent dictator; the modifications he likes are added. FreeBSD's development model revolves around a group of more than 200 individual programmers called the ``Committers.'' The Committers have the ability to make any change needed to the official FreeBSD source base at any time. The selection of Committers and dispute resolution are handled by the FreeBSD Core Team. The Core Team acts like a board of directors. Starting in October of 2000, the Core Team became an elected body with candidates and voters coming from the Committers. Elections are held every two years.

Somebody want to comment this especially who work in Linux kernel code?

Old 11-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #12
twilli227

Distribution: Ubuntu, OS X

Quote:
But it is true that linux has better HW support.
Care to back that up?

Old 11-22-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
ravenstyles
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ok guys...BSD suporters are not allowed or welcomed in this thread...the point of this is to give me something to work with when this asshole guy starts telling me why bds is better than linux. i love linux and want to suport and rep it correctly. stop arguing you sound like me and him..

Old 11-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #14
Stack

Distribution: FreeBSD

Quote:
Originally posted by ravenstyles
ok guys...BSD suporters are not allowed or welcomed in this thread...the point of this is to give me something to work with when this asshole guy starts telling me why bds is better than linux. i love linux and want to suport and rep it correctly. stop arguing you sound like me and him..
Just admit defeat. If he can come up with arguments on his own, his intellect will crush you like a bug.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:13 PM   #15
Glas

Distribution: Slackware, PC-BSD v0.6, FreeBSD v5.3

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by ravenstyles
Quote:
Originally posted by Stack
Just admit defeat. If he can come up with arguments on his own, his intellect will crush you like a bug.
I totally agree with Stack on this. Do the research and you will find out the pros and cons of each OS. I love linux too and hope that I represent it the way it should be to my friends and others that I know, but you can't argue and win this issue. The guy likes BSD and he personally thinks it's better than Linux. You like Linux and personally think it's better than BSD. Would I be able to change your mind? I doubt it. Will you be able to change his mind? I doubt it. Just stop arguing and realize that you both are right.