LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
bbking

Distribution: SuSE 9.0 & SuSE 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Angry GRUB + inserting extra HDD = unable to boot

hi there,

I have a new PC with a fasttrak 378 onboad RAID controller which is now working fine with SuSE 9.0. I also have a normal IDE drive with XP on it, and that disk's mbr holds the boot information. ´

Now I'd like to copy my old stuff from another IDE drive onto my new RAID-drives, but whenever I add the old drive into the PC (as SEC SLAVE, behind the DVD drive) the screen just says "GRUB" and nothing's going to happen.

Can anybody tell me why does this happen? on a normal IDE system, I can insert as many extra drives as I have room for, but the new PC just won't boot up with another drive in. I also tried to replace the DVD-Rom with the old HDD but no luck, either...

I'd be very happy if someone had a hint for me, as I desperately need my data on that drive...

thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2004, 05:53 AM   #2
sunilgeo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
bbking,

I had almost the same problem some time back. I think it has something to do with changes in device mapping when you put in a new hardware. What I did was boot in using the SUSE CD and select repair option and then configure and install grub again. It worked for me.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:09 AM   #3
bbking

Original Poster
thanks for your quick answer!

do you mean "rescue system" from the boot menue?

I am not that confortable with GRUB and as the rescue system doesn't have yast2, can you tell me how you re-configured GRUB to recognize your extra HDD?

thanks a lot...

Last edited by bbking; 11-22-2004 at 06:37 AM.

Old 11-22-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
sunilgeo
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
It has been some time back, so I don't remeber exactly. I think its the rescue or repair menu, which will take you to the command prompt. There if you type /sbin/YaST2, it will bring up the YasT configuration screen and you can use GRUB configuration from there. Sorry I can't check all this right now as I am at work, but worth giving it a try.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
bbking

Original Poster
Lightbulb

okay, now I finally figured it out:

one should boot from the SuSE CD / DVD, choose "Manual Installation", then "Installation/System update" (not rescue system!), and at least SuSE 9.0 offers an "Automatic Repair" option, thats what I chose.

wasn't that straight forward, as I finally wanted to reinstall everything...