LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #91
Nighthawk4

Distribution: PCLinuxOS

Rep: Reputation: 15

Thankyou for this thread. I had been tearing my hair out, trying to install something which was not on the original CDs and not an update. No YUM, no APT, etc. I was tempted to reinstall with a different flavour of Linux. Now I can install other applications. Thanks again.

Old 07-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #92
flebber

Distribution: debian stable

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hi am trying to add repositories but getting the same error, wanted to add rpms to list so I followed a link from distrowatch.com for SuSe rpms

ftp://ftp.ploiesti.rdsnet.ro/pub/mir...rpms/SuSE_9.3/ ( I used this as directory)
I have entered server as

ftp.ploiesti.rdsnet.ro and when that didn't work
ftp.oxixares.com

I am getting an unable to create an installation source error. ERROR(InstSrc:E_no_instsrc_on_media) although I can see the list of rpms available in front of me.

I wanted to install amsn and bittorent bittorent-gui

Last edited by flebber; 07-15-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:08 AM   #93
abisko00

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 58
This server doesn't look like a valid YaST source. You probably have to download and install these packages manually.

You can recognize a YaST source by the file 'directory.yast'.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #94
nolimitz

Distribution: openSUSE Tumbleweed

May I ask what a YASt source is??i added a few ftp's with rpm's but no difference..what does it use for??in fact, need help about all yast...

Old 08-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #95
xbaez

Question Easier way to update

I'm a Ubuntu user, former Mepis user as well

All I ever do is run the Ubuntu update manager, and it automatically fetches from the apt repositories, all the packages that I need to installl

I do that every day, it's pretty easy

But in the office we have our main server with SuSE Linux 9.2 profession

so I have various questions
1) what is the difference between SuSE 9.2 Professional and the one that I can download from Novell?
2) Can I upgrade to SuSE 9.3?
3) is there an easier way to update this packages?
I mean, selecting 100 blue icons, converting them to the update icon, and then solving the dependencies it's pretty boring.

Thanks for your lists

Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #96
Pcghost

Distribution: Fedora, Debian, OpenSuSE and Android

Rep: Reputation: 46
1) The one for download lacks the commercial stuff, for licensing reasons.
2) Upgrading between SuSE versions is as easy as dropping in the next cd.
3) In YaST, there is a menu item that can upgrade all in the list with newer versions (if available). Think a smaller version of apt-get upgrade.

On a side note, I just returned from LinuxWorld, where a SuSE developer told me that with the release of opensuse, Novell will now be setting up online repositories for YaST. This means WAY better dependency resolution (think apt again) and a wider package availability. If they could fix the dependency issues the current YaST seems to end up with, it will be tough to continue using Kubuntu in my opinion, and I really like Kubuntu.

Edit: Doh! That question and this answer shouldn't be in the sticky, but in a new thread...Sorry

Last edited by Pcghost; 08-12-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:38 AM   #97
nolimitz

Thumbs up

Quote:
On a side note, I just returned from LinuxWorld, where a SuSE developer told me that with the release of opensuse, Novell will now be setting up online repositories for YaST. This means WAY better dependency resolution (think apt again) and a wider package availability. If they could fix the dependency issues the current YaST seems to end up with, it will be tough to continue using Kubuntu in my opinion, and I really like Kubuntu.
YAST repositories??finally, I was being driven mad by these dependencies...Huh, so practicaly YaST will become usefull afterall...see u around the repositories soon.meanwhile apt4suse...

Old 08-15-2005, 08:47 AM   #98
penguin_powered
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Linux Mint 13, MATE 32-bit edition

Whoops! I posted a new thread with INFO on this very topic before I realized this thread was here. The cool thing is, this forum board does list my thread under 'Similar Threads'.

A side rant...

I like this board, but I'm sorry to see that the authors chose a commercial product, 'vBulletin'. I'm all for open source. that's why I left Windows for Linux.

Let's get back to what the internet was originally created for--which was, the free exchange of information (and how was that accomplished? by file sharing!!) So go away Hollywood. If I like the music, I'll darn sure buy the CD. But not everything ppl share on here is for sale, anywhere!!

You know why I'll buy your CDs, Hollywood? Cause I DO want to support the artists ability to create AND I want the much superior quality of your CDs. MP3s are not worth what you charge for them. CD quality is vastly superior to most of the compressed MP3s floating around the net, IMHO.

It costs very little to post and sell MP3s, folks. Hollywood is making a fortune selling this inferior product. Too bad Apple Computer is actually promoting this practice with the sale of iPODs, but then we have to consider that their objective is the same as Hollywood's--to make money!! BUYER BEWARE!!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:13 AM   #99
nolimitz

penguin...first, the mp3's have little 2 do with the yast repositories.and SECOND, well, mp3's coded at 228kb/s are comparable as quality to CD's.like, you can get them for free, almost the same quality(you can't make the difference), and when your monthly salary is 200$ trust me, mp3'z everywhere...

Old 08-16-2005, 08:19 PM   #100
xbaez

Dear LQ SuSE Users
I've added the sources mentioned here in YAST -> Software -> Change Source of Installation

can anybody please tell me where do all the RPM that are downloaded are saved?
any cache directory?

I really wouldn't like anything to delete the 2GB+ that I've downloaded from the web, I upgraded KDE to version 3.4 and it works great

Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #101
nolimitz

Now, i did set the yast sources, as it should, i activated some, but now it doesn't see any rpm's in add remove software, although it should(the sources are activated).all i can see are the rpm's from the dvd.no alternate versions no NOTHING...why??(
http://imgnow.net/imgs/yast2-000.png
maybe this could help, its a printscreen of my change source of instalation :
nume == name
descriere == description
activat == activated
dezactivat == deactivated
(in my language )
so, any help...please??

Old 08-20-2005, 10:52 PM   #102
craigevil

Distribution: Debian Sid/RPIOS

Rep: Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533
Can anyone help me add repositories to YAST for OpenSUSE 10.0?

I found this one but I can't seem to get it to work,
Guru's RPM Site,
Quote:
Note that I partially build my RPMs for 10.0 beta as well. Here's the YaST installation source:
» http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.0/

I am getting an unable to create an installation source error. ERROR(InstSrc:E_no_instsrc_on_media)

TIA

Old 09-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #103
Jongi

Distribution: Debian Sid 32/64-bit, F10 32/64-bit

Rep: Reputation: 45
craigevil:

Add --> HTTP
Servername: ftp.gwdg.de
Directory on Server: pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.0/

Add a number of the same site on mine though. That could be because I tested the sources on 9.3. Although I doubt that.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #104
boxerboy

Distribution: ubuntu5.04, ubuntu5.10, suse9.3, mandrake10.1, mandriva2006(beta), FC1-4, redhat9.0, debian sarge

Rep: Reputation: 32
Re: Sticky Request: YaST Update sources

Quote:
Originally posted by VinnySem
I think a useful sticky in this forum would be a list of web sources for YaST, like packman's site or the ftp directories on SUSE's website. I have tried searching this and other forums, and sources are listed all over the place. A central list of sources would prove very useful, I think. Anyone else agree?

I'll start the list:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/sup...1/yast-source/
http://packman.iu-bremen.de

Any others, please post in this thread.

Thanks.
are these only for 9.1 or will they work on 10.0 not sure if beta or rc or what it is.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:08 AM   #105
abisko00

Rep: Reputation: 58
These are for 9.1 only, but have a look if there's a 'update_for_10.0' folder as well.