LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2004, 03:49 AM   #1
civics123
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy Please help me get X Server running!!!

Hi,
I recently installed Debian on my Dell C510 laptop, and I have been working 6 hours trying to get X server to run so I can have some sort of GUI. It took me a while to figure out how to edit XF86config-4 or by dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to edit it. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility Graphics driver but that wasn't working, so I switched to the vesa driver as someone had suggested in this forum. Then I was having mouse problems because in the config file, it was referencing two mouses, and it was pointing to folders where I do not think the mouses were located in. Anyway, I think I got that fixed becuase I just deleted one of the mouses. So now when I type in startx the X server loads with KDE but once it gets to periphials (ie: mouse, etc.) it closes, back to the command line, giving me this error:

Fatal Server Error
Caught Signal 4
Server Aborting

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don't really think I can post the log file because it is on my linnux os, and im using windows right now. Don't know enough about linnux to go to a browser without a GUI and browser and post it so...

Justin Grewe

Old 11-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Distribution: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 46
Your XFree86 log is in /var/log/. You can run "cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log > Xlog.txt" to copy the XFree86 log to Xlog.txt file in your home directory. Then you can insert a floppy to your floppy drive and mount it with "mount /media/floppy0" (assuming you have the line "dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0" in /etc/fstab -- this should have been created automatically by the Sarge installation). Then you can copy Xlog.txt to floppy with "cp ~/Xlog.txt /media/floppy0". Then you need to unmount your floppy drive ("umount /media/floppy0") and now you should have your XFree86 log file in floppy, so you can post it here from Windows.

Old 11-08-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
michapma

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 39
Since it sounds like you are having hardware detectin issues, you might try running a Knoppix live CD on the system. If that works (it usually will), you can look at the settings and drivers it uses and try implementing those in Debian.