LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
fanceemonkeeee
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Yellow Dog PPC 3.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
Be a hero! Help a grrl that's GNU (new) to linux.

PPC Linux newbie seeking advice on application installs ( post #1)

Howdy!
I have a dual-boot eMac running Yellow Dog Linux 3.1 and Mac OS X Panther.
I'm used to having everything pretty much done for me in the Mac OS, so I'm adjusting to the hands-on requirements of Linux.
I have a few frustrations doing what I consider basic things... like INSTALLING a program.

1) I'd like to update my Mozilla to the latest PPC version 1.8, but I haven't a CLUE on what file to execute, or how to install via the terminal. I've already downloaded and extracted the tar.gz. file but even there I stumbled upon the extract command via a right-click.
I'd really appreciate some guidance on this matter because I'm sure I can apply it to every other install.

After I do that, I think my next area of curiosity will be windowing/GUI enhancements. I get the feeling that you can graft different behaviors and environments on top of what ever distro you're running. If somebody could point me in the direction of a spiffy tutorial for that, I'd be much obliged.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #2
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...eral/yum.shtml tells you about YUM (YellowDog Updater, Modified). It will go off to the 'net and find and install/update packages for you.

As far as the desktop environments go, your best bet is to look at the homepages for each one - KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc etc - and follow some links. Each environment is different and has it's own tools.

And welcome to LQ

Old 09-11-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
jschiwal
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682
First of all, there should be a README.txt or INSTALL.txt file that will have the instructions.

Installing from a tarball usually involves 6 steps:

1. tar xvzf tarball-file-name.tgz
2. cd tarball-file-name
3. ./configure
4. make
5. su # you will need to enter root password
6. make install

Step 1 will expand the tarball into a directory <tarball-file-name>/ ( You already did this step )
Step 3 will examine your system for needed library files, and programs like gcc
Step 4 will compile the program.
Step 5 is necessary because only root can write to the /usr directory.
Step 6 will copy the files to where they need to be. Usually binary files are copies to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. Library files may also be produced and copied to /usr/lib. There may also be man pages installed and documentation.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
Mara

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 232Reputation: 232Reputation: 232
Not an introduction, but a technical question (in fact, more than one, so moved). This thread is more suitable in Linux-Newbie and has been moved accordingly to help your thread get the exposure it deserves.

To unpack the Mozilla file:
tar zxvf something.tar.gz
If it's a binary (not source) version of Mozilla, there should be an executable (install, setup or something similar) in the directory created. When you run it, the installation should start.

When it comes to GUIs... Do as XavierP suggests. Plus I also recommend kde-look.org It's KDE-spacific, but will show you what can be done.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
fanceemonkeeee
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Yellow Dog PPC 3.1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
exactly what I was hoping for

Thanx for those helpful and concise tips. If you have an opinion on what book is the best of the Linux How-To bunch, please chime in on that, too.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:09 AM   #6
jschiwal
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682
A good starting point on the web is The Linux Documentation Project at www.tldp.org.

There you will find How-To's as well as more extensive guides such at the SAG guide (Systems Administration Guide) and the NAG guide (Network Administration Guide).

A good one has been removed however, by the authors request. The Linux Cookbook.
I purchased this book previously at B. Dalton's. It deals with what a regular user can do with linux, rather than administration. For example using Image Magick to convert a directory of pictures from one file format to another.