LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
striker7
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
A question to the linux community at large ?

Allow Users to bring ifup and ifdown ? ( post #1)

Hello,

I am not new to linux. Been using since 1994. Security is the MAIN reason that I use linux. I have not had a Windows box on the internet in more than 8 years.

I have searched high and low for an answer to this. Have recently installed Mandrake 10, Whirebox Linux, and Libranet. Had the same problem with each.

And before we start. I DO NOT consider it secure to give users SU permissions or the root password. That is just plain stupid from a security point of view. I DO NOT consider it secure to have an ALWAYS ON internet connection. (Conneting at bootup is not an option) I could chmod the files, to execute for anybody, this is not a wise move either.

It seems that up until Redhat 8 or so, ir was easy enough to give users access to ifup/ ifdown to open and close the eth0 device in the /etc/network/*scripts.

The list of things I dont think are secure, are the only responses I seem to get concerning this issue.

Does someone have an idea of how to allow users to bring the internet connection up and down on newer distrobutions, or am I relegated to going back to Redhat 7.2 or similar distros ?

Seems to me, that some of these latest so called "secure linux distros", want users to leave the doorways open to intrusion and spying. Kind of like MicroCrap.

Are there ANY newer linux distrobutions (2.6 kernel) that still allow root to make these sorts of decisions, or is it left to the disributions to decide the security issues of linux?

Any intelligent responses? And yeah, I have RTFM, and searched the internet. Posting here is my last resort.

Thank you for your time, consideration and responses.

Old 09-07-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
Peacedog
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Windows, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
hi striker7, welcome to lq. that said, have you considered setting up sudo? i could be wrong, but i believe it just may suit your needs. if it's not secure enough, then my apologies in advance. hope this helps.
good luck.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #3
Another_Noob35
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 2

Is there a reason that you have to upgrade?

Is it absolutely necessary that you go to the latest version?
after all, If 8.0 is working good for you then is there specific features you need in the newer versions?
Can you keep the version thats working for you and just upgrade the app?

Old 09-07-2004, 08:48 PM   #4
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Peacedog is right, sudo will do exactly what you need in this situation. You can set it up so that the users either don't need a password or use their own password.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
striker7
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank all of you

Thank you all for your repsonses.

I am once again reminded, of why I fell in love with linux.

The support of the linux community, for the most part, is both courteous and "right on target".

I wonder why it is that I have never had the need for SUDO, but now that the need has arisen, and I have read a little about it, I feel very safe in using it.

Once again, thank you all ever so much.