LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
ohgodno
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 2 2.6.5-1.358 #1 - i686

Rep: Reputation: 0
Linksys Wireless G

Hi,

I have a HP Pavlillion ze4220 (laptop) running Fedora Core 2 2.6.5-1.358 #1. I am installing my wireless card using ndiswrapper 9. I have followed the instructions for installation but havn't had a successfull recognition of my pcmcia wireless card yet:

# ndiswrapper -i /<path>/lsbcmnds.inf

does install the driver, however:

# ndiswrapper -l
lsbcmnds hardware NOT present

is consistently returned

I have followed the instructions step-by-step but can't get the pcmcia card recognized Other sources on the web note that they get:

bcmwl5 hardware present

but on my linksys installation disk bcmwl5.inf doesn't exist - bcmwl5.sys does. after removing the lsbcmnds driver (ndiswrapper -e lsbcmnds) and installing (ndiswrapper - i /<path>/bcmwl5.sys) still gives me the same message (hardware NOT present)

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Well, you need both an .inf and a .sys to get this to work. However, it looks like you are struggling to find which one. Look at the output of lspci to find out what chipset you have (post it if you need help) and then you can go to the ndiswrapper download site and get the drivers they link to.

Also, when you put your card in, make sure that you check dmesg and make sure that your system has recognized that the card is there.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
ohgodno
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks, I have had success with an older linksys 54g card using a broadcom chipset. After some digging I found out that linksys has switched to inprocomm 2220 in revision 4. I should have checked this first (# lspci -v shows I need a driver for 17fe:2220). I have found a couple of helpful links in case anyone else runs into this:

http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive57-2004-6-28575.html
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/...&forum_id=36471

If anyone knows of a better workaround please post it... thanks for your help

Old 08-05-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
ohgodno
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hey again, (replying to my own post - sorry). I found that after removing all of the driver files and installing the driver:

# ndiswrapper -i /mnt/cdrom/wlipnds.inf

from the linksys installation disk that my card is then recognized.

# ndiswrapper -l
wlipnds hardware present

from this point i think i just need to configure wlan0

Old 08-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
ohgodno
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hey everyone (if you ended up here) My card is up and running simply by installing the right driver (without following my previously posted links) for linksys wpc54g install the wlipnds.inf NOT the lsbcmnds.inf. Looking back this was kind of easy to figure out but I had used only broadcom chipsets in the past - hence my confusion on the linksys driver.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #6
Hangdog42
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422Reputation: 422
Thanks for posting the update. If Linksys has changed chipsets, you know there is gonna be trouble.....

Old 01-14-2005, 12:13 AM   #7
stdbas26
LQ Newbie

Just wanted to note that in FC3 probably FC2 as well when trying to install the WPC54G drivers via ndiswrapper or the Linuxant driverloader this card will hang up the kernel and send it into a panic. This is because FC2 and FC3 come with a 4k kernel stack. Windows drivers require at least an 8k kernel stack. I downloaded Linuxant's stk16 kernel (for free I might add) and this fixed the problem. I apologize if this is already posted in another forum. Just letting people know as I spent who knows how many hours trying to figure this out. Hopefully this will solve a lot of problems and frustration for people.