LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
orb_nsc
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 9.0 Pro, Ubuntu 5.04

Rep: Reputation: 0
KDE 3.1 to 3.2 upgrade

I've got the itch to upgrade my SuSE 9.0 system from KDE 3.1 to 3.2. I've seen a couple threads on this but I just want to check a couple things, because I really don't want to trash my nicely working system by missing a step or two.

I've found some mirrors that have RPMs for this, but there are like a hundred files total. I know I've read that I really only the arts, kdelibs, and kdebase packages to get going, but there are several RPMs that have this in their names. Does it really mean that I just need these three files to upgrade the base KDE system:

arts-1.2.3-3.i586.rpm
kdelibs3-3.2.3-3.i586.rpm
kdebase3-3.2.3-5.i586.rpm

So if I get these files from the FTP mirror, then install arts, then libs, then kdebase, it should work? Can do I do this while in KDE or should I be at a runlevel 3 command prompt?

Then, will I need to install all the other packages (kdemultimedia, kdeaddons, kdeartwork, kdegraphics, kdenetwork, kdethelistgoeson) to be able to use any of the other kde apps?

Thanks for any tips you might have. I just don't want to hose up my system just because I'm a big geek that just has to have the latest in all software....

Old 07-01-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
aeruzcar

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 30
When I first upgraded from kde 3.1 to 3.2 in SuSE I did the following, downloaded all of the packages in the mirror yo a specific folder. Rebooted in failsafe mode, login as root and cd into the folder containing all of the downloaded files and executed the following command:
yast2 --install *.rpm

Yast2 took care of installing everything, it takes a while but it works, then rebooted normaly and everything is working. When you start yast2 to install software it will complain about the kdebase conflict but it worls fine. You may lose the hardware detector and the suse watcher though

Old 07-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
orb_nsc
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 9.0 Pro, Ubuntu 5.04

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Thanks for the tip! I did just as you said, and it worked fine. KDE is upgraded and looking great. The one thing I do miss though, is the SuSE Window Decorations. In the KDE Control Panel I can no longer choose that one.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
aeruzcar

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 30
If you install SuSE 9.1 you will get KDE 3.2 and all of those features that you lost by upgrading the way you did