LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
zero_copy

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
slackware 10 sata kernel

Just a quick question.... does anyone know if slack 10 comes with a kernel that can support SATA? I have looked briefly before work today and didnt see one.... I can make a boot disk, but am just curious if there is "native" support yet.

Last edited by zero_copy; 06-24-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
meat-head
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

I tried booting with the Slackware 10.0 install CD and got hung at "hde: attached ide-disk driver"

Old 06-25-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
Toth

SATA requires a 2.6 kernel I think, right?

If so, I don't believe booting a 2.6 kernel is an option at install time.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
justinmc
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Zero, if you made a boot disk, how would that help?

I never was clear on that - is the kernel available in the CD?

If not, its not possible to do a clean install, is it?

And I don't think SATA requires 2.6... I think I read somewhere that it was available in the latest 2.4 kernels....although i might just be dreaming that.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:17 AM   #5
Fuel

Distribution: Slackware 10

Rep: Reputation: 30
I made a fresh install with Slackware 10 / kernel 2.4.26 on my system: Abit NF 7-S V.2.0, Hitachi 120 GB Sata drive and it all just went fine .. so far ( Sil3112 chip i think )

Old 06-25-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
m_ochse
LQ Newbie

Unhappy Having the same problem...

Quote:
Originally posted by meat-head
I tried booting with the Slackware 10.0 install CD and got hung at "hde: attached ide-disk driver"
Hi,

having an Asus p4p800, 1G RAM, P IV@2,8GHz, ATA 80G, SATA (SAMSUNG SP1614C) 160G, Controller is Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA.

Im getting exactly the same message "hde: attached ide-disk driver" when booting from CD, making it impossible to install Slack 10

Does anyone have similar problems or even better a solution to this problem? If so, please post!

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Marco.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
mrpdaemon

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

Running Slackware 10 on Serial ATA disks

(This post explains running default Kernel 2.6.7 that comes with Slackware 10 on serial ata hardware)
(I use ICH5 module but there are other SATA modules that comes with Slackware 10)

First you need to install a fresh copy of Slackware 10. There are already sata.i kernels that are only used for setup. You can search for one in google. I've seen some posts on linuxquestions.org about how to set up Slackware using those modules.

After you install Slackware, reboot with your sata.i disks. Change the root file system to your slackware installation. Remove kernel 2.4.26 (you don't need to remove ) and install kernel 2.6.7 from the second CD.
Create a ramdisk with the following command in /boot:

mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.7 -m libata:ata_piix:reiserfs -r /dev/sda2

My root partition is /dev/sda2 so change it to yours.

In lilo.conf just add the following line after your linux image. Smth like below:

image = /boot/vmlinuz
initrd = /boot/initrd.gz

Now works like a charm. It's an end to kernel panic about VFS!

PS: Thanks to my friend İnanç Seylan for writing this little explanation for us

Old 06-25-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
bonecrusher

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Slack, RH, Gentoo

Re: Having the same problem...

Quote:
Originally posted by m_ochse
Hi,

having an Asus p4p800, 1G RAM, P IV@2,8GHz, ATA 80G, SATA (SAMSUNG SP1614C) 160G, Controller is Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA.

Im getting exactly the same message "hde: attached ide-disk driver" when booting from CD, making it impossible to install Slack 10

Does anyone have similar problems or even better a solution to this problem? If so, please post!

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Marco.
I have the same MoBo (Asus p4p800 Deluxe) and I am running Slackware 9.1 converted to 10.0 with Swaret program. I made a boot disk for the 9.1 Slackware Dist. awhile back...it is on the 'Slackware - Installation' forum. Here is the link:

SATA boot disk post...

This may or may not help you guys with a VIA chipset. On my d/load page(in that link) you will see satavia.i also..this may work, I need to re-compile the kernel though, I think..and if I am not mistaken I think I fig'd out the problem with that compile. I will fix it lateron when I have time.The VIA chipset still seems to have some probs.. it seems to want to install as an IDE drive (When in fact the ATAlib should be installing it as a SCSI drive). (BTW mine is installed as SDA6 and SDA7-swap but I have an INTEL c.s.)

..speaking of...for those of you with INTEL chipsets:

I know the satabare.i image will get you booted up and installed if you have the intel chipset Read thru the posts in that link and if you have any questions feel free to ask me. I have been fooling around with these sata drive problems for awhile in slack. The SATABARE.I image is simply me compiling a kernel for *all* SATA drives..('cept VIA - see above) and making a boot/install image out of it....

Good Luck!

-bc

Last edited by bonecrusher; 06-25-2004 at 02:40 PM.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
bonecrusher

SATA boot disk - SATA ISO SLACKWARE 10

Note:

I have updated my sata.i bootdisk. It is now patched against the 2.4.26 kernel to match up with Slackware 10.0. It can be found here:

SATA boot disk folder (SATA.I)

I also have a new ISO burned that will do an install of Slack 10.0 on a Serial ATA Hard drive. It runs just like the one you get from one of the mirrors except I added my kernel (sata.i) as the default boot kernel. (Just hit ENTER when at the 'boot:' prompt...)

If someone is willing to host this ISO let me know as I don't have the bandwidth or the room right now. (Even if someone has a box that could seed it as a .torrent would be great..) Of course an FTP site would be the best.

-bc

If you want to send me email please feel free.

*** EDIT: I have taken so long to post this because I have been testing it extensively. I hopefully have removed any bugs fom the ISO and as far as the sata.i boot disk goes, it should do the same as the ISO 'cept be a much smaller d/load. (I have also tested this repeatedly countless times..)
Enjoy Slackware!

Last edited by bonecrusher; 07-12-2004 at 10:05 AM.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
jong357

Distribution: DIYSlackware

Rep: Reputation: 52
Hey.... Nice work Bonecrusher.... I'm still irked that Pat doesn't really care about us SATA users.... Especially when you subscribe... Oh well.... I was going to suggest any one with an intel ICH5 (82801EB/ER) controller should have a look at the link in my sig, but thats kind of moot now that you've spent all that time on the boot disks and ISO..... I have a boot and two root disks in there for an ICH5 along with the libata patch for 2.4.26.... Thats how I did it.... Those install disks in my link are ONLY ICH5 enabled tho, so yours will be much better in that they serve a wide user base..... Again.... Nice work!!! I'm getting to the point where I would have almost rather paid you for slack instead of the slackware store.... Damn annoying if you ask me.....

Just to clarify tho.... You only need that one disk? I have 3 images to burn to disk and that kernel is completely stripped down... Not sure I understand how you pulled that off....

Last edited by jong357; 07-12-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:30 PM   #11
bonecrusher

Quote:
Originally posted by jong357
Hey.... Nice work Bonecrusher.... I'm still irked that Pat doesn't really care about us SATA users.... Especially when you subscribe... Oh well.... I was going to suggest any one with an intel ICH5 (82801EB/ER) controller should have a look at the link in my sig, but thats kind of moot now that you've spent all that time on the boot disks and ISO..... I have a boot and two root disks in there for an ICH5 along with the libata patch for 2.4.26.... Thats how I did it.... Those install disks in my link are ONLY ICH5 enabled tho, so yours will be much better in that they serve a wide user base..... Again.... Nice work!!! I'm getting to the point where I would have almost rather paid you for slack instead of the slackware store.... Damn annoying if you ask me.....

Just to clarify tho.... You only need that one disk? I have 3 images to burn to disk and that kernel is completely stripped down... Not sure I understand how you pulled that off....
^ Not sure of exactly what? I took the bare.i kernel and just removed a couple of WAN networking items (Items that weren't strictly needed just to get an install up and to get you on the Internet (to d/load a new kernel) of course you can always use the kernel under testing (2.6.7) I believe after you get installed. So technically you don't need networking at all (for the install kernel). But I left everything as it was.. I can give ppl a detailed list of my changes if they like. (I documented it...it was *maybe* 4-5 deletions) Anyway.........>

Yes,
I remember you from "LinuxISO.org" I think-from way back. Yeah, my plan was always to do it for all systems. I remember jollyrodger on iso made a few boot disks.. etc, and I got my start/idea that way.. so I owe him especially for giving me the idea to do this. (I am lucky in the fact that I have more then one computer here with Slackware on them, so when I needed a kernel for my computer I built with sata, I was just able to compile it on my other one (with plan old eide). I have asked Jeff (Garzik - the guy who wrote/is writiing the libata code) a couple of things about this and that, (As a matter of fact a good mailing list is the kernel list for ide-ata) Anyway, if we owe anyone it is Jeff! We all owe him for his brilliant work on sata/linux drivers. He has written the majority of the code. I did exactly the same as you - I patched the 2.4.26 code with a patch Jeff wrote. (Obviously there are newer versions out there, but to get the modules etc to work right off the flip, 2.4.26 was needed...) As I mentioned as a side note on my boot disk/iso, you should immediately consider 'upgrading' the kernel when you are installed. 2.6.x kernel should have sata built in under the scsi/low level drivers. So without a doubt these are the kernels ppl should consider installing once the initial system has been setup/installed. I hope ppl heed my advice about this!

I, also, have ICH5(r) built into an Asus board, and I have done a complete install with the ISO/boot disk with that board. It took alot longer for me to get this posted because it took so damn long to test to make sure everything 'flowed' together during install like it should. The whole point of this project in my opinion was to get more new users using Slackware. I wanted to make it as problem-proof as possible considering it is Slackware. And I also agree with you that Patrick V. should have gotten Slackware workable with SATA before he made such a major release as 10.0,. He had us wait so long anyway, a couple more months wouldn't have mattered.. Or he could have released 9.5 w/o SATA *then* 10.0 with SATA - in my opinion. But you know what they say opinions are like
Anyway, the point I am making is I feel the only people he is hurting is the new user. As for the rest of us, we will always find a solution because after all this is (Slackware) Linux we are talking about!

Well, I will get off my soap box now as this is suppose to be a help forum

-brady
(bc)

Last edited by bonecrusher; 07-13-2004 at 08:39 AM.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:05 AM   #12
bonecrusher

torrent:

Okay here is a link to the torrent:
****EDIT: (!!!!!)
(Try using the FTP site, though as opposed to torrent from now on....)

(Same place the sata.i image is that is.. )

My web page has the torrent file on it.

My folder with the torrent for the ISO and this has boot disk file, too.(sata.i)

Ok.
Download the .torrent and then use it to connect to me (or others.. ) there are currently 3 leechers and just me seeding... So if you d/load this iso please please PLEASE stay on and upload (when it is done d/loading) at least 100MB . This would help us tremendously to get this iso out there and well seeded...

Thanks to all who are helping me. This will help new users of slackware out quite a bit hopefully as more and more ppl are buying new computers with SATA drives installed

Brady Shea

(bc)

Last edited by bonecrusher; 09-13-2004 at 09:03 AM.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:06 PM   #13
cris81
LQ Newbie

Hi, i have installed a slackware 10 on a sata matrox hard disk and when install kernel 2.6.7 with modules at reboot of the system receive Kernel panic and the device is not /dev/sdaX but /dev/hdeX why?

Old 07-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #14
bonecrusher

Quote:
Originally posted by cris81
Hi, i have installed a slackware 10 on a sata matrox hard disk and when install kernel 2.6.7 with modules at reboot of the system receive Kernel panic and the device is not /dev/sdaX but /dev/hdeX why?
Well, I think in order to answer that question we all would need you to expand a little bit about what you did. You say you installed slack10 on a SATA drive. (1) How did you get it to install? Did it install on it's own? Did you use a boot disk? (2) You say you installed 2.6.7 kernel (with modules?) ok. (3) You say you receive a kernel panic because it is recognizes the root drive device as IDE instead of SCSI.

I really don't know where to go with this unless you tell me some other details. Did the original install work as a SDx device? When did you install 2.6.7? And did you compile in sata support? Doesnt sound like it. DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS...

BTW: /dev/HDEx usually comes up because it is jumping over the CDROM/dvd etc ATAPI interfaces and then giving your last interface which happens to always be your sata one the letter e(or g or f) this is quite common when no sata driver is present. If you do a 'clean' install (or try to) with the first slack boot cd, you will normally get this error. So I wonder what you did?

bc

Last edited by bonecrusher; 07-13-2004 at 09:40 PM.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:57 PM   #15
jong357

Distribution: DIYSlackware

Rep: Reputation: 52
Just started downloading it. Pullin 35kbs right from the get go. Not bad..... I'd like to check it out. I'll install it on another partition or something... I have no problem with leaving torrent running either. This box is usually up 24/7 anyway.....

Yea, those bootdisks are from JolyRogers....