LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories Just spent four hours configuring your favorite program? Just figured out a Linux problem that has been stumping you for months?
Post your Linux Success Stories here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2004, 05:48 AM   #1
Hammett

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 59
USB Bluetooth and Nokia 3650

After many many months of trying almost everything, finally I managed to get file transfers between my Linux box (RH9) and my mobile phone (Nokia 3650). Here are the steps:

The things you're gonna need are: bluez, bluez libs, bluez apps and p3nfs.

First of all, load rfcomm module, and run it. If you get an error such as "rfcomm: can"t get device list: operation not supported" you need to do the following:
Go to the kernel source directory and do "make menuconfig", save the config to a file, after that, edit that file and look for CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM_TTY=m and substitude the "m" for a "y", so you end up with CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM_TTY=y. This is a kernel bug, as this cannot be build up as a module, but in the config appears as, that's why you get the error.
Once changed this, save the file, run kernel configuration and load the new config. Now compile it.

OK, now is time to pair the mobile with the dongle:

First of all, activate the dongle by doing "hciconfig up"
In your mobile, enable bluetooth and make it discoverable to all devices, once that is done, run "hcitool scan", for seeing your mobile

Code:
[root][/etc/bluetooth]$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:60:57:75:7C:36       Hammett
Keep that address (your mobile phone), as you will need it later on.

OK, now ping you phone to see that there's connection, for doing that type:

Code:
[root][/etc/bluetooth]$ l2ping 00:60:57:75:7C:36 (Mobile's address)
Ping: 00:60:57:75:7C:36 from 00:01:53:00:0D:08 (data size 20) ...
0 bytes from 00:60:57:75:7C:36 id 200 time 27.89ms
0 bytes from 00:60:57:75:7C:36 id 201 time 29.96ms
0 bytes from 00:60:57:75:7C:36 id 202 time 16.25ms
0 bytes from 00:60:57:75:7C:36 id 203 time 16.18ms
0 bytes from 00:60:57:75:7C:36 id 204 time 15.80ms
5 sent, 5 received, 0% loss
(Note that lower L, not 1 in l2ping). You should get something like that.

So far so good. Now it's time to configure RFCOMM. If you don't have a rfcomm0 device (most probably you won't), do:
Code:
cd /dev && mknod --mode 666 /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
Now, go to /etc/bluetooth directory, there are 3 files: hci.config, pin and rfcomm.config
Edit pin file and enter there the pin code you wish.
In your mobile phone, try to discover the PC, when PIN code is prompted, put the same PIN as in the file, you should pair the phone.

Edit rfcomm.config file and put the relevant information there (basically phone's address and port to use, which p3nfs use is port 11).
After that, you must bind /dev/rfcomm to that service, for doing that:
Code:
rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 00:60:57:75:7C:36 11
(Substitue address by your's and note the 4 at the end, is the port we use).

Now is time to configure p3nfs. It is very easy to compile and install. What does p3nfs is to mount mobile's filesystem in the PC, so you can browse it as it was another part of your Linux box, so:
1.- create a mount point for the mobile
2.- Download the client p3nfs for the mobile at http://www.daimi.au.dk/~kbn/nfsapp-2.7-series60.sis , the only problem here is that you must install that SIS file on the phone by uploading it from windows (for example).
3.- Once client is installed on the phone, run it, and within 30seconds you must run:
Code:
p3nfsd -series60 -tty /dev/rfcomm0 -dir /mnt/mobil/
Where /mnt/mobil is the mount point we created before (make any changes you need)

And woot!! Now you can go to the mobile's mount point and start browsing.
For transfering pictures from the phone to the mobile, just copy them!! Like if it was another HDD, the other way round also works (Transfers from PC to MOBILE).

I suggest you to make a script to connect to the phone, it's more easy than writting all this command.

Well, that's how i managed to get working File transfers between Linux and Nokia 3650. I don't know how to make it for calendar syncronization or anything else, this is just file transfer (pictures and tunes basically).

Hope this will be usefull to somebody, if so, please let me know. Also if there's any mistake or something is not working, I'll try to manage what's wrong.

I appologize in advance if there's any errors on the process, but I don't think i missed any part.

Last edited by Hammett; 11-29-2004 at 11:38 AM.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:06 AM   #2
mmm

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
which bluetooth adapter did you use? I am going to buy one, but I want to make sure that it will be linux+Nokia 3650 compatible. thanks a lot.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
Hammett

Original Poster
I use a USB dongle, the brand is called SmartLink (nobody knows it), but it works. I guess any USB dongle will work fine under linux.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
mmm

Distribution: Debian

thanks, I also found this website: http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html , so I know everything I wanted to. thanks a lot again.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:26 AM   #5
saravkrish

Distribution: Fedora Core 1

Rep: Reputation: 30
Thanks! Saved my day.

I didn't know how to create /dev/rfcomm0 and your post helped. I can now control XMMS from my T610. Hooah! I used bluexmms and it rocks!

-Sarav

Old 07-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
activecs
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Bluetooth l2ping to Nokia 6600

Hi
I'm new to the forum, so I hope I dont upset anyone. I have a problem.

Using Fedora 2 , logged in as root, I can do a hcitool scan to find my phone BDA, but a l2ping only produces "Can't connect Permission denied" . I have tried to adjust various settings in hcid.conf with no progress. The phone is in Show to all mode. Can anyone suggest something to try?

Old 07-22-2004, 03:04 PM   #7
moschi

Distribution: slack 12, debian 4, ubuntu server 6.10

running fedora 2 with nokia3650

i got all of that to work, but when i run it on my phone & then run that script, it says:

/dev/rfcomm0: Connection refused

any ideas

Old 07-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #8
moschi

& if i try to discover the comp from the phone, it finds it but can't connect... it doesn't ask for the pin or anything...

possibly an error in my /etc/bluetooth files... would someone mind posting theirs so i can check...

also, the pin file said "BlueZ" should i remove that & add the pin, put the pin on the next line, or what...

thanks

Old 07-24-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
sbogus

Distribution: SuSE Pro Releases 7.3, 9.0, CentOS 4.0, Kubuntu 6.0x

Hi ya,
me too has the Nokia 3650 mobile, but unfortunately I ran into troubles with this guide.

Activating the rfcomm interface, scanning and pinging the phone was successful. Pairing the phone with the Linux box is the pain in the but, because rgardles of the pin I write in the pin file, I'm unable to pair the mobile with the box. It finds the box, but always says the name is BlueZ(0) and whatever pin I use (the same i wrote in the pin file of course), it always says "pairing failed! unable to pair to BlueZ(0)."

I'd appreciate any aid to this problem.

Kind regards,
sbogus

Old 07-25-2004, 10:26 AM   #10
mbabuskov

Distribution: Slackware, Knoppix, Mandriva

Quote:
Originally posted by sbogus
me too has the Nokia 3650 mobile, but unfortunately I ran into troubles with this guide.

Activating the rfcomm interface, scanning and pinging the phone was successful. Pairing the phone with the Linux box is the pain in the but, because rgardles of the pin I write in the pin file, I'm unable to pair the mobile with the box. It finds the box, but always says the name is BlueZ(0) and whatever pin I use (the same i wrote in the pin file of course), it always says "pairing failed! unable to pair to BlueZ(0)."
I had to restart the computer after making changes to config files in /etc/bluetooth, since restarting sdpd and hcid didn't work

HTH

Old 07-26-2004, 02:15 AM   #11
sbogus

Distribution: SuSE Pro Releases 7.3, 9.0, CentOS 4.0, Kubuntu 6.0x

Thanks for the post mbabuskov,

Quote:
I had to restart the computer after making changes to config files in /etc/bluetooth, since restarting sdpd and hcid didn't work
What do you mean?
I must restart the box in order any changes made in the configuration files to take effekt or after a restart nothing of the bluetooth things does work anymore?!

Kind regards,
sbogus

Old 07-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #12
mbabuskov

Distribution: Slackware, Knoppix, Mandriva

Quote:
Originally posted by sbogus
Thanks for the post mbabuskov,

What do you mean?
I must restart the box in order any changes made in the configuration files to take effekt or after a restart nothing of the bluetooth things does work anymore?!
Mee too. I was just used to never have to restart Linux for anything, and now for bluetooth I have to restart so many times. I'm almost feeling like I'm back on Windows

I have a lot of problems with Bluetooth, nothing works for me. l2ping works, pairing the devices work, but that's all. p3nfsd just hangs, obexftp fails to connect, and other apps like bemused won't compile (apparently because I have too recent openobex installed). So many tools just provide the Makefile, but they don't write which version of other libraries are needed

I'm a little disappointed to have to use the Windows for Bluetooth for now.

Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 PM   #13
Hammett

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by moschi
& if i try to discover the comp from the phone, it finds it but can't connect... it doesn't ask for the pin or anything...

possibly an error in my /etc/bluetooth files... would someone mind posting theirs so i can check...

also, the pin file said "BlueZ" should i remove that & add the pin, put the pin on the next line, or what...

thanks
Yes, the phone will say "unable to connect" or similar. It doesn't matter at all. It happened to me as well.
Refering to the pin, replace BlueZ with the pin you want. The file should be one line long containing the pin.

Quote:
Originally posted by moschi
running fedora 2 with nokia3650

i got all of that to work, but when i run it on my phone & then run that script, it says:

/dev/rfcomm0: Connection refused

any ideas
Have you put the correct port at rfcomm.conf?? Remember p3nfsd use port 4.
Also do a "rfcomm" and see what does it say. Should appear the mobile address and the port (4). If rfcomm says nothing, repeat the binding progress. I've noticed that i had to bind the device everytime i turn on the computer, so I added the line to /etc/rc5.d/S99local (your file may be different).
It could be also that you haven't discovered your pc to the phone. Make sure in your mobile that you have your pc already discovered.

Hope it helps

Last edited by Hammett; 07-26-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Old 07-26-2004, 11:36 PM   #14
moschi

thanks, i'll give that a shot tomorrow

Old 07-30-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
moschi

i think i know the problem.
when i boot, fstab can't mount it, because of unknown filesystem type.

when i make the entry in fstab, what is the filesystem type of a nokia 3650??