LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
moridon77

Distribution: Mandrake 10 official, FreeBSD, and trying to get Gentoo working (sounds like it may be the ultimate)

Rep: Reputation: 15
menus/newly installed apps/menu creation

OK i am new to linux (approaching 2 months) but i have been here since even before i was new (luckily o didn't yet know what questions to ask so i was able to read without posting). but i had a thousand questions then and now a thousand seems like a small number

i am running mandrake 10 on one of my machines and pretty much using it as my primary linux learning experience right now. i want to say i have figured out how to install apps but i would be lying. however i can say i have just finished installing mozilla firefox, followed by importing java into firefox. and installing macromedia flashplayer 6 into both (yeah i think that is pretty decent when i don't really know what i am doing yet).

my questions is now that i have installed firefox how do i create it onto my mandrake menu instead of having to always go back and launch it from the shell or with a command? i still have the shell i created and the one that came with firefox. so what do i need to do to create an icon or just place a quick launch type button on my k menu?

i understand this is likely to be a very simple or stupid question and this stumbling block isnt much for those more experienced. i am looking for the answers even now. so if you happen to have the answers or even a pointer i am all ears. and if your pointers are even on similar subjects i am still very intersted. so if you are so inclined and if not thankx.
linux (though i am not a master......YET) rocks!

Last edited by moridon77; 05-16-2004 at 09:43 PM.

Old 05-17-2004, 12:06 AM   #2
vinay_s_s

Rep: Reputation: 30
fear not newbie, 'cos this site is for U. ;-)

to create a icon in the panel:
a) create a shortcut (launcer) on the desktop.
- right click on desktop and select new link to application and .... u know that
b) drag the newly created icon on desktop to panel, and voila u have it!!

to add menu entries,
1) i think mandrake has some kind a tool called "menudrake"
just type menudrake on any console (shell)
2) u can use try using the "kmenuedit" program
u can either type kmenuedit in shell or right click on the big "K" on the panel and select edit menu.
(i doubt that the kmenuedit will work properly , since i have heard that mandrake screws up the menus a lot)

Old 05-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
moridon77

Distribution: Mandrake 10 official, FreeBSD, and trying to get Gentoo working (sounds like it may be the ultimate)

Original Poster
OK i have now tried what you suggested and it does sorta work. it is also better than anything i had yet come up with in my quest. however it doesn't actually work at all.

here is the problem. i created the icon as you directed (which i am ashamed to admit i had not previously seen) with the right click menu on the desktop (still cant believe i hadn't seen that). i then attempted to set up the icon to launch the Mozilla FireFox app. i went into my home directory down to the FireFox folder and to the shell command that i have been using to launch it with. this failed! i then did the same thing through the browse button where it applied a longer address to the folder and command. this too failed. i am pretty sure i have this part right so my guess is i am messing up on the mime settings, or some other section of creating this icon with full function.

if you don't happen to have the rest of the answers it is OK as what i have now took me further and i am launching back into it with renewed vigor. so thanks allot.

on the other hand if you have more, i am certain i will still be happy to hear it even if i should have solved this problem by then (comparison notes you know).

thanks

Update
i got it. i was running the wrong shell command and now i redid it to make it run the correct command and now it is actually launching the FireFox Browser. i have also made it work in several locations now. last step for this problem coming up (that i know of so far), putting the created short cut in the right place on the K Menu.

Thanks for your help. Now all i have to do is add it to the K Menu.
here i go. if it

Last edited by moridon77; 05-17-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
moridon77

Original Poster
mission complete. anyone else with this problem with mandrake using the kde i am pretty sure i may be able to help.

and thankx vinay_s_s the discription you gave was pretty right on, there were only minor differences but much of that was likely user interpretation.

Last edited by moridon77; 05-17-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:47 PM   #5
vinay_s_s

Rep: Reputation: 30
no problemo!