LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2002, 10:23 AM   #1
79er
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
red hat 7.2 win2k dual boot probs

I am trying to dual boot with win2k and Red Hat 7.2 but whenever I try to boot into Linux (via win2k boot loader), I just get a blinking cursor....

I have a 20 gig hd, and my my win2k partition is only about 5 gigs...following that I have (in order) a boot partition (24M), root partition (~5 G), and FAT32 partition (~9 G).

I created a dump of the linux boot sector, "bootsect.lnx" (as instructed by books and websites), copied it to the windows c:\ drive, and modified the boot.ini file. This procedure worked for me when I was using Red Hat 7.1, but for some reason, all I get now when I try it w/ 7.2 is the blinking cursor....can somebody explain to me what is going on/ how to fix this? Does it have anything to do w/ Linear Mode? b.t.w. I installed LILO (not GRUB) on the boot partition...

any help would be much appreciated....

Old 04-10-2002, 11:04 AM   #2
Thymox

Distribution: Mostly Debian based systems

Rep: Reputation: 64
OK. So when you installed RH you went through and everything was fine. You installed LILO onto the Master Boot Record (i.e. /dev/hda not /dev/hda1) of your 20Gig harddisk? If you're using an IDE harddisk then you probably don't need the Linear setting, but you will need the LBA32 setting.

Oh, BTW, you're not running an Athlon processor, are you? If so, then for the Linux entry in your LILO, you'll need to add noathlon to the Linux kernel parameters.