LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Qapla'
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Internet does not work after upgrade to Fedora Core 1

Bit of a noob here so please bear with me. I have checked through a lot of the posts and haven't seen anything like my problem, but if I missed it somewhere I apologize for the double post.
I have been running Red Hat 9 for a couple of months, and decided to upgrade to Fedora. Install went OK and everything seemed to work fine except my internet connection no longer worked. Everything was recognized and I can activate the connection, but cannot access any web page. I just get the small popup window that says the name cannot be found. I have switched back to RH9 for now until I can figure out this problem.
The setup: I am connected to a dsl modem through a hub ( not router ) sharing with a windows box. I use guarddog as a frontend to iptables for a firewall and have had no problems with the RH9 setup. I tried disabling the firewall in fedora, no luck. I even tried connecting directly to the modem and still nothing. I've done this a couple of times with a an upgrade and a fresh install and problem persists. My ethernet connection works fine ( can connect to windows box and share files, print, etc with samba ) if I set the ip manually. It fails to start on bootup with automatic settings of course, cause hub does not do dhcp but this is a minor annoyance for me until I buy a router.
Just thought I'd throw this out there in case someone else has had this problem or can see if I'm missing something. I'm pretty frustrated because I liked what I saw with Fedora but it doesn't do me any good if I can't access the net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:32 AM   #2
shedir

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
I just get the small popup window that says the name cannot be found.
It sound's as if the dns setup is not working.
Try to resolve a host-name with the host command. If this doesn't give you an ip, but accessing other computers by using the ip directly works, it's a problem with dns.
Check /etc/resolv.conf it should contain entries of the form: nameserver <ip-address>.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
catz4u
LQ Newbie

Distribution: redhat 9

No internet access after upgrading to Fedora

I ran into the same issue a couple of weeks ago. It seems that there is a bug in the release of Kudzu, I found the information on Redhat bugzilla. This bug affects certain 3-com 3c905 nic. I had to turn off the kudzu service and reboot the box. This seemed to resolve the problem.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
Qapla'
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response.
I should have mentioned that I am using an onboard ethernet controller ( Via Rhine something or other ), but I'm willing to try anything.
Thanks

Old 05-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
try this command, assuming the interface is eth0

dhclient eth0

you might also run another terminal to see errors like this..

tail -f /var/log/messages

When you say networking works when you configure the ip manually means the nic is ok, the dhcp is not working or not configured correctly. Dhcp must setup the following or else it will need to be done manually as shown..

ip address

ifconfig eth0 <ipaddress>

contents of /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver <ipaddress>
nameserver <ipaddress>

default route

route add default gw <ipaddress>

On the default route you must be sure to remove any invalid one first..

route del default

Try to bring up the system normally then post the output of the following commands..

ifconfig eth0

route -n

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Old 05-12-2004, 11:14 PM   #6
Unchained
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora 2

Lightbulb

I think I ran into the same problem the other day.

Try going to Systems Settings->Network. Then under devices edit your network card. Under DHCP Settings, make sure "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider" is checked.

This is what fixed my problem.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:07 AM   #7
Qapla'
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Just wanted to say thank you to all who replied so quickly to my post. Took me a while to get back to you guys because I lost my copy of fedora and had to download it again to try a reinstall and the solutions you gave me. Happy to say I am writing this with my new installation of Fedora!!!!

I don't know why ( still a little puzzled about how a lot of things are handled in Linux, but having fun learning ) but my /etc/resolv.conf file was completely empty. Luckily I wrote down the nameservers from my RH9 installation before I wiped it for the new install.

Everything seems to work OK now, but if you think that I should be doing something else, please let me know.

Once again, thanks everyone, and especially to Shedir and DavidWilliams for pointing me in the right direction

Old 05-14-2004, 10:31 PM   #8
DavidPhillips
LQ Guru

Distribution: Fedora / RedHat / SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 58
Try this line in your file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
PEERDNS=yes

Adding the nameservers manually as you did is ok. The nameservers should not change anyway.

If you have problems with DNS later be sure to check to see if the nameservers are still valid.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:48 AM   #9
Linuxrh
LQ Newbie

I seem to remember a bug in the dsl setup and if you put pppo in the name field of a dsl setup it will work just fine...

Scott.....