LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2004, 02:39 AM   #1
ProtoformX

Distribution: LFS SVN

Rep: Reputation: 34
Lexmark X1150 printer on Slack 9.1

How do you configure a printer, I have went to sites and sites each pointing me in circles
I know my printer is on /dev/usb/lp0 I know that people have gotten thi z600 driver working for this printer but all of them are either rathat or mandrake users that have tools to autodetect the printer settings .. can anyone help me? Chanks

Old 04-30-2004, 03:22 AM   #2
ProtoformX

Original Poster
Hey I got it working if anyone is "lost" on how to get this to work this is how I got it to work:

1) download this: http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfi...S-1.0-1.TAR.gz

2) extact its contans and su in to root and this:

cat /dev/usb/lp0

now turn on your printer, you should see something (usally garbage) if this works you have confermed that your printer is on lp0 if not try others

3) cd /usr/lib and do a ln -s libtcl8.4.so libtcl8.3.so
and a ln -s libtk8.4.so libtk8.3.so

4) cd back in to the folder you ungziped the 3 files from that archive and run the script
sh z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh -keep

5) rpm2tgz the files in the folder "install" the sh script made and install them both.

6) cd to /usr/share/cups/model/ and manually extract Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd from Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz (extract it in to the same folder)

7) alright back to mr.terminal ...as root type this /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p Lexmark_X1150 -E -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -m Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd

now your printer should be setup, now (I used kde) open kprint up and select CUPS as the protocal and your printer should be in the list, right click and print a test page.

Last edited by ProtoformX; 04-30-2004 at 03:40 AM.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
daemonTED

Distribution: Sid with kernel 2.6.7

Rep: Reputation: 16
lpadmin

hi
ProtoformX: one of your instructions implies that /usr/sbin/ contains a file called lpadmin. it doesn't seem to exist on my system. i'm so close to (hopefully) having my printer working, but i'm stuck on that step. i did an apt search for lpadmin and it only came up with a program called webmin-lpadmin, or something of the likes.
i am a bit confused and would very much appreciate any help with this matter.

i use:
Debian testing/unstable
kernel 2.6.4

Old 05-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
ProtoformX

Original Poster
Funny cause it's a package that Slackware 9.1 installs by default.
You could check out the current slackware tree and get that nede package, its in form of tgz
so you can extact it ... just extract it in the proper places and try again.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
blk96gt

Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04

Rep: Reputation: 30
For future reference these instructions will also work for a Lexmark X1185.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
benjordan06
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
just wanted to thank all of you for your discussion...
and espescially you ProtoformX!

this works very nicely for x1185
-Ben

Old 11-10-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
Jaguar1983
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Wouldn't Work on Vector 4.0

I followed all your instuctions to the letter. Everything happens the way it should
but the printer still doesn't print.
I'm trying to use an X1185 on Vector 4.0 (which I'm, certain is slackware based)

Old 01-24-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
habala

Rep: Reputation: 15
Using MEPIS (or any Debian-based distro) the process is somewhat easier. I am using MEPIS 2004/06 to get the X1140 running (same printer internally as the Z600). Follow the first 3 steps from the parent, but THEN instead of doing the rest:

4) type at the root prompt, #apt-get install alien

5) cd to your newly created "installer" directory (created by the install script you ran in step 3). Something like #cd /home/foo/place/installer where "foo" is the user you are currently logged into your Window Manager as and "place" is the directory you saved the original shell script in.

6) type at the root prompt in the console window, #alien xxxx.rpm where xxxx.rpm is the name of the rpm file in the installer directory. There should be two, so perform this process twice. The smaller one depends on the larger one. This will create two new .deb file of the same name as the rpms.

7) you should now be able to browse to the relevant directory and simply single or double-click on the newly created debs to install them and then go and add the printer as normal through your printer configuration GUI.

Print out a test page and DONE!

Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
ProtoformX

Original Poster
Re: Wouldn't Work on Vector 4.0

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar1983
I followed all your instuctions to the letter. Everything happens the way it should
but the printer still doesn't print.
I'm trying to use an X1185 on Vector 4.0 (which I'm, certain is slackware based)
1) Are you using kprinter, and making sure that the deamon it's using is CUPS?
2) What are you trying to print?
3) Just a stab in the dark, is the printer even on? (you may not have to turn your printer on in winblowz, but under *nix you have to)

Old 01-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #10
trigggl

Distribution: Debian Etch, AIX, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
The easiest way to do this

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=798634#post798634

Quote:
Here are some tips that hopefully will get some of you guys up and running with this printer

I am using Mandrake 10rc1 (Cooker), and trying to configure a Lexmark x1150 printer/scanner. RedHat users can skip half of the bollocks here since it should install sweetly for you. I think mandrake 9.2 might have the correct libtcl/tk versions too so you might have it easier than I did. Anyway, here goes

1) Firstly get the RedHat 9 drivers for the Lexmark z600 from Lexmark

2) Extract the tarball.

[root@shmoopy Documents]# tar zxvf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz

This creates 3 files. README, COPYING and z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh

3) Extract the files from the installer

[root@shmoopy Documents]# sh z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh -keep

This creates a directory called installer contining 2 rpms and an assortment of scripts.

4) If the installer fails to run due to missing dependecies, we can probably get away with making a few symlinks if we have a more recent version of tcl/tk. Worked for me ...

[root@shmoopy Documents]# cd /usr/lib
[root@shmoopy lib]# ln -s libtcl8.4.so libtcl8.3.so
[root@shmoopy lib]# ln -s libtk8.4.so libtk8.3.so

I wouldn't recommend this if you have an earlier version. just upgrade. After fixing this up try extracting the installer again

5) Try to install the 2 rpms now. Attempting to do this on Cooker fails with the following interesting message ...

[root@shmoopy installer]# rpm -Uvh *rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
cups >= 1:1.1.15-10 is needed by z600cups-1.0-1

This is interesting since we appear to meet this requirement ...

[root@shmoopy installer]# rpm -q cups
cups-1.1.20-2mdk

5) If you dont have the required version of cups then you need to upgrade, otherwise do what i did ... ignore this rubbish and force the install. Note: I had to power off the printer during this process as rpm locked up if i didnt.

[root@shmoopy installer]# rpm -Uvh z600* --nodeps

You should now be able to configure your printer using printerdrake (or printtool) by selecting the z600 driver. The scanner is still not supported from what I can see so we are out of luck here.

Hope this helps somewhat
The thing to remember is that the X1150 uses the z60? driver. I've gotten this thing printing in Mandrake 10.0, 9.2 and now Slackware 10.0, current.Lexmark Linux "Kit" page

Last edited by trigggl; 01-25-2005 at 05:08 PM.