LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
treble54

Distribution: SuSE 9.3

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Mouse problem

I'm brand brand new to SuSE 9.0. I had absolutely no problem installing it. Upon installing, it detected my mouse as a generic mouse and I was able to use only the two buttons, which didn't bother me at all for the time being. Eventually, I'd expect to get the other functions of it to work.

I'm using the Logitech MX700 wireless mouse (along with it's wireless keyboard counterpart as part of the Cordless MX Duo). I was surfing through the mouse preinstalled drivers in YaST and thought I'd try one and see if it'd let the forward / back buttons work. It ends up that I lose my mouse access completely and I can't get it back now. On top of that, I don't know the keyboard shortcuts for KDE or Gnome.

Can anyone help me get access to my mouse again and on top of that make it so I can actually use all or most of my MX700 mouse instead of it being the generic mouse?

Again, I'm totally new to Linux and SuSE 9.0 so keep that in mind when explaining on how to go about using the terminal or whatever other options there are available to me that I'm unaware of.

Also, I have looked on google and on these forums for some (not extensively, but enough that I thought I'd just post a thread and, at the very least, get a link to another thread that would help solve my problem).

Any help would be much appreciated and any flaming wouldn't be. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
treble54

Original Poster
Actually, it would be alright also if I could just be able to use my mouse (as in get it back to the "Generic Mouse" mode or whatever), but I can't get into YaST to even attempt doing that.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
treble54

Original Poster
bump

Old 04-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
debian_dummy

Distribution: Debian SID and Woody

I've never even seen SUSE so I can't tell you how to get your MX700 to work.

have you tried plugging a spare mouse in and seeing what happens ? (that might get you a working mouse)

Old 04-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
ssimontis

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

I have a Kensginton USB optical mouse and experienced similar problems. Just get used to it, or write your own driver. Mine was identified as a generic mouse, but more frustrating, every once in a while it stops working and I have to unplug it and plug it into a different slot. Your mouse doesn't show on the HCL for this site, so you might just have to live with it. If you want to do something, check out "Linux Device Drivers" 2nd edition.

Old 04-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
treble54

Original Poster
I found somewhere about going into the XF86Config file and changing the mouse Section to this setup:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Logitech MX700"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
Option "Buttons" "8"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

I restarted afterwards and now I've lost access to access to any desktop environment and the GUI login screen. It just loads the text-based terminal. This has made things worse now and I'm really frustrated. Anyone know any possible solutions?

I'm not about to write a driver for my mouse unless someone explains to me how (or if I just did that above, explain to me how to get to the Generic Mouse driver).

Old 04-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
ssimontis

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

That doesn't sound good. I have no clue, my advice is to back up data and format. Or, try another mouse. I have never had that problem before. About Device Drivers, check Linux Device Drivers, 2nd ed. I am trying to write a driver for my Linksys WMP11 v_4, and that book loks promising.,

Old 04-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #8
|2ainman

Distribution: Slackware current, DSL 0.9.2

the xf86config sounds right hmmmm did u add this on, or did u put it in its appropriate section?
When your system boots up and shows that purrrdy screen, press f2 so you can see everything loading. Look for things that "fail" and look to see what runlevel it starts. If its runlevel 3, you may not have anything wrong with your X, so try typing 'startx' to start the gui, if it works stop HERE, if it IS runlevel 5 already, then something has messed up X, most likely your xf86config file. When you get to the text login, run xf86config, and answer all the questions. This should get your gui working again, and possibly your mouse.
HTH

Old 04-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
treble54

Original Poster
Well I became too irritated with the problem any longer that I just decided to load up windows, load up Partition Magic, and delete the Linux partitions so that I can reinstall linux and continue my Linux adventures.

However, deleting my linux partitions ended up being a bad idea. After removing the partitions containing linux and rebooting, I was brought to the Text-based version of GRUB instead of the usual GUI version and I was at a loss as to how to use it. So I rebooted, recovered windows by using the fixmbr command to make Windows automatically boot, and then rebooted again in order to install SuSE once more. This time, though, one peculiar thing happened that made me skepticle on reinstalling Linux or not. This did not happen the first time I installed Linux. Here's what happened:

Once inside YaST during the installation, I went through all the software packages I wanted to install. Upon doing this, I noticed that my four partitions had 0% used space (implying 100% free space, that nothing was on them). This made me decide to abort the installation and console the linux forums for help on what to do with this. I'm only concerned because I do want to access each of these partitions (I know Linux can only read NTFS files now, not write to them, which is perfectly fine; I actually do intend to make one of my windows partitions FAT32 so that I may read and write between Linux and Windows). Any suggestions on what to do about this? I'll prolly make a new thread about this particular topic since the topic of this thread does not pertain to the new possible problem I have encountered.

By the way, thanks for the help you guys have given me. Much appreciated.

EDIT: Btw, when I noticed that 0% of used space on each of the 4 partitions, I meant that I knew there were things on them; that they weren't empty when I saw those percentages.

Last edited by treble54; 04-24-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:10 AM   #10
Qucho

Distribution: Debian "Sarge"

Rep: Reputation: 30
I only deal with Debian, but if you dont repartition your disk, I would not worry about it.
Just make sure you install linux in the right partition.

Windows will not notice there was a boot loader, nor linux existed (it is that dumb of a system:P ), so Win override the grub installation as you wondered.

Regarding your mouse, select 'no 3rd button emulation' and say yes to mouse wheel (my debian ask this by default)

Yes the XF86Config file is the RIGHT place to fix your problem, but unless you know what you are doing I would advice against a manual modifications. Use the configuration front end instead. (run xf86config if thats the case for your distro)

Tips about XFree86 error messages:
'no screeens found' this means that a nice combination of devices were not found (vid-card, mouse. monitor, supported-resolution, combos). is a very generic message.

A log file is created upon x-server errors. /var/XFree86.0.log

Luck

Old 04-25-2004, 04:15 AM   #11
|2ainman

Distribution: Slackware current, DSL 0.9.2

I'm not sure, but I think the 0% refers to how much space the INSTALLATION will take up. You said that you were in the package selection section, well I think at this point, once u confirm package options, it calculates how much disk space it will take.

Old 04-25-2004, 05:05 AM   #12
debian_dummy

Distribution: Debian SID and Woody

As a long term destroyer/vandal of working Linux installs I know your pain. If you have a fast Internet connection just grab Knoppix, it boots off CD and lets you fix problems without needing to have a working install of anything on the hard disk. Also, in the future, copy your files before modifying them

For example - cp XF86Config XF86Config_org

Old 04-26-2004, 01:26 AM   #13
muxman

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 32
I have 2 sections in my XF86Config-4 file in Debian Woody.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
EndSection

My mouse doesn't work in X or in the commadline either. How do I know which one of these my mouse is installed on? /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice

Is there a utlity that will tell me what devices are attched to my system? To see if they are even there? Or need a driver? lspci shows my pci devices, what about other devices like a mouse? Is there a command that will tell me where my mouse is attached at, /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice ? What about when I'm not it X? Usually there is still a mouse cursor that works in the commandline but it's not there for me? Or doesn't Debian have that activated by default? I'm trying to switch to Debian and having a few configuration issues.

This is a ps/2 mouse. A Logitech wheel mouse. I know it works with Linux since it worked with other distros I've tried, there is just a setting wrong and I don't know where it is. Thanks.

Last edited by muxman; 04-26-2004 at 01:42 AM.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:12 AM   #14
muxman

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by muxman
I have 2 sections in my XF86Config-4 file in Debian Woody.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

My mouse doesn't work in X or in the commadline either. How do I know which one of these my mouse is installed on? /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice

Is there a utlity that will tell me what devices are attched to my system? To see if they are even there? Or need a driver? lspci shows my pci devices, what about other devices like a mouse? Is there a command that will tell me where my mouse is attached at, /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice ? What about when I'm not it X? Usually there is still a mouse cursor that works in the commandline but it's not there for me? Or doesn't Debian have that activated by default? I'm trying to switch to Debian and having a few configuration issues.

This is a ps/2 mouse. A Logitech wheel mouse. I know it works with Linux since it worked with other distros I've tried, there is just a setting wrong and I don't know where it is. Thanks.

A little to add to this since I posted it. When I go into X the mouse does not work. I CTRL-ALT-DEL and logout of X. I've tried reconfiguring the mouse several times. I've used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and
went through the setup there and I've tried manually changing alomst every option there is and none work. I then do the following and it will work.

# cat /dev/psaux

After that command I move the mouse and get a lot of garbage on the screen, CTRL-C and I'm out of it. I then startx and the mouse will work. I've tried several different setups that I had before since I saved all the
differnt config files and this process will work with all of them. So for some reason my mouse is just not active when X starts and then won't work once it's running. After the cat /dev/psaux and moving the mouse it seems to make it active and then X will use it.

Does anyone have any input on how to get the mouse active without having to do this before I startx?

Last edited by muxman; 04-27-2004 at 01:14 AM.

Old 04-27-2004, 03:22 AM   #15
Qucho

Distribution: Debian "Sarge"

Rep: Reputation: 30
Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

That is MY configuration, I suggest to disable your '3rd button emulation'

My mouse is a optical wheel mouse from logitec (My wheel works fine by the way [scrolling and clicking])