LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
jwjensen
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Kernel 2.6.x usb scanner support

I notice that with kernel 2.6, "usb scanner support" is identified as obsolete. The option appears in .config through kernel 2.6.2, but beginning with kernel 2.6.3 this .config option is dropped.

I have an hp5470 scanner for which there is a non-libusb sane backend available. I have no idea how to convert/rewrite this backend to use libusb. So, to continue having support for my scanner, I've devised a way to bring usb scanner support forward into kernel 2.6.3 and kernel 2.6.4. Here is the procedure:

1) copy scanner.o and scanner.h from /usr/src/linux-2.6.2/drivers/usb/image/ to the corresponding place in the linux-2.6.3 build tree.

2) copy the text from the section defining "config USB_SCANNER" from /usr/src/linux-2.6.2/drivers/usb/image/Kconfig into an appropriate place in /usr/src/linux-2.6.3/drivers/usb/image/Kconfig.

3) in the file /usr/src/linux-2.6.3/drivers/usb/Makefile, add the line obj-$(CONFIG_USB_SCANNER) += image/

4) in the file /usr/src/linux-2.6.3/drivers/usb/image/Makefile, add the line obj-$(CONFIG_USB_SCANNER) += scanner.o

5) add the line CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m to the .config file.

From here on, one can run "make xconfig" and be presented with the option to set CONFIG_USB_SCANNER. When set, the following "make", "make modules_install", and "make install" will create a viable scanner.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.3/kernel/drivers/usb/image.

I'm aware that the kernel folks will probably take a dim view of the above. I do wish however that support for my (fairly common, I think) scanner hadn't been summarily dropped in kernel 2.6.3. I hope nothing changes in future kernel build trees anytime soon that makes my carrying forward CONFIG_USB_SCANNER impossible.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:34 AM   #2
natalinasmpf

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 30
I don't even know how to get my scanner working with usbscanner, mknod and modprobe and all. What is the replacement anyway?

And devfs for lilo? The successor isn't mentioned in the config either, save for the name, and I can't compile its successor because there's no option for it, and now, lilo gets all confused...

Old 04-01-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
jwjensen
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Greetings! I forgot to mention that I'm running RH9 with updates and KDE-3.2.1. Not sure what scanner you're using. Sounds like you may be having several issues. If you'd care to email me at jimwjensen@centurytel.net I'll do my best to help out. Mind you, I'm no expert--never used Slackware although I'd enjoy experimenting with it. --Jim